Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hell Yeah, HD (as in High-Def) time! Need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hell Yeah, HD (as in High-Def) time! Need suggestions.

Alright, to make a long story short, I thought I was gonna owe like $100 this year for taxes and turns out I was wrong and since I am in school I got huge tax credit, so I'm getting like $2K back, schweet! So, at any rate, I have been saving up for an HDTV for some time now, and that time is now.

I want to get some recommendations on what I should get, I have dont a lot of looking, but I am a super indecisive person. My only requirements thus far is a 42"+ 1080p set. Of course, gotta have enough HDMI and component inputs, preferrably a VGA or DVI as well since I'm going to build a media center PC to play ripped DVDs off of a NAS. I was at first just going to buy the cheapest 42" 1080p set I could find, but now I am able to choose what I want. I don't want to spend all my return, the bike has gotta get some new goodies, but I'm in the $1000-1300 range.

Oh, and I don't want a projection, LCD baby!

Whatcha got? Whatcha like? Whatcha want? Let me hear it, thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hell Yeah, HD time! Need suggestions.

I have a 42" samsung plasma, I'm happy with it. Folks just bought a 52" lcd samsung and it's pretty freaking sweet... Never heard any bad things about samsung, and from what I hear the LG's are pretty nice as well.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM

+1 on Samsung

Check out Panasonic as well. (they are plasma, that means less viewing angles) but those set's picture quality is sharp...and if you don't watch TV all day long, you don't have to worry about shadows or burn-in.

Both of those TV's can get you what you want in your price range

If you want cheaper, go with Westinghouse and LG

Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

go for 60"s

Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 PM

i have a samsung projection 47 inch and a 32 vizio LCD, love em both.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM

sorry to double post but be careful, but the headline of this thread it looks like your ready to get a Harley Davidson (HD)

Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm a huge fan of Samsung... the black levels are incredible.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889102132

Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

sorry to double post but be careful, but the headline of this thread it looks like your ready to get a Harley Davidson (HD)
lol, yeah, riiiiight.

I have been very impressed with Samsungs monitors. I have one at home, and the 20" WS we have for our draftsmen are nice too. I was eyeballing those, but I can't seem to find 42", but at least the 40" does 1080p.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Ty

Sony, Samsung, and LG are goodlately. LCD, not Plasma. The 47" LG and Samsung have a "lip-sync" problem that you can read about. It's where the audio and video don't match up. Google it and see what you think. There is no fix yet. We think they were trying to pass off HDMI2 for HDMI3 and don't want to have to take all the TV's back. Anything with HDMI3 will fix lip-sync automatically. Truthfully, the best picture is from a SXRD LCD projection by Sony. For what you want to spend, it is unlikely that the set will have the HDMI3 decoder in a 40+ LCD, so you may not want to rule that out.

Remember that 1080P is only good for BluRay or HDDVD. There is nothing else that plays in that resolution. If you don't watch a lot of BluRay movies, your money may be better spent on a higher end 1080I set. Upconversion is mostly BS, with a few exceptions, like animation. It's not really playing 1080P, but more of a simulcast of 1080I and 720P. Not worth the extra money for me, but I watch mostly broadcast TV, so it wouldn't help me anyway.

Watch out for the 40+ Vizios. They have a contrast dimmer problem that sends noise through the right speaker anytime the set is not on full bright, which is all the time, lol. They are hassling customers and trying to get around it. If you buy one, make sure there is a return policy in case you have an affected unit. There is no way to tell until you try it.

I would recommend that you make sure that the set has HDMI3 (version 1.3) before buying. There are some serious compatibility issues right now and it's almost hit or miss with HDMI2, but it will only get worse as more peripherals switch to 3. You may not be able to get what you want for the price you are looking at, but you will be able to soon. There will be CRAZY sales on LCDs timed to coincide with the "tax-booster" checks. Seems that's the popular thing these days, and everybody wants in on those checks.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:59 PM

anymore you wanta get something with a hella high refresh rate.......like somewhere up around 120 hz.........its pretty baller, in short, you picture will look dead secsy and smooth......go to best buy and compare.......then go buy this........killer deal on a bad *** tv......

http://www.shopdigitalonline.com/pro...productid=1757

Quick Reply: Hell Yeah, HD (as in High-Def) time! Need suggestions.