Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

+1000 to that. How would you even have a life threatening confrontation at 50ft? I have taken self protection and protection in the home courses I believe I recall them saying that such confrontations happen at arms length 9 of 10 times. Now all this talk about well placed this and misplaced that.... If and when it happens your either gonna hit or miss no matter what gun you use. The adrenaline of pulling a gun and firing upon someone will make the most accurate shooters missplace shots or miss all together,even at close distance. Thats were the double tap comes in handy. You will NOT have time to draw, aim, and steady your shot, thats a fact.

You want the biggest gun that YOU feel comfortable with and feel you can control. I would rather have a misplaced 45 hollowpoint than a misplaced 9mm. A misplaced9 may pierce an arm or leg, a misplaced 45 maytake a good portion of the limb right off, much more disabling.I dont think any cops even carry the 9 anymore. My course trainers were "weapons masters" and have trained most Michigan state police officers. They kept saying a 9mm wont stop an attacker like you might think, especially heavaly clothed or on drugs.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 AM

i think i am going to look into a new barrel for my 1911 because mine has horrible accuracy, i can hit center mass at 30-40ft but it isnt consistent....and its not my shooting ability either, i am a great shot....

anyone know of a great place to buy 1911 barrels?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

ORIGINAL: hondadriver4life

so i dont mean to hi-jack this thread (sorry rrasco) but in in the market for a handgun and want to know where i shoul;d start lookin.......

i have had military training if that makes a difference......
If possible, go to a range that rents pistols and try a few out. If you find one that you like, start looking for the best deal. Auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com are great places that I have bought several firearms through. Or, if you have buddies that carry and/or shoot, ask them to take you out. 1911forum.com is a great forum, thousands of years of experience from those guys, very good bunch of guys. Tons of info, and not all on 1911's, but everything from mild to wild and everything inbetween. Go there and do a search on whatever interests you and you'll find days of reading, pics, reports and so on to help you in your research.

thanks for the info and i will defiantley do a lot of research before i even think about buying a weapon...
but just out of curiositywould this be a good place to start?
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7930985

Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

Would you even consider a revolver? I got that little Smith & Wesson 642 .38. It shoots prettyacurately for what I would condiser "close combat situations". Like you said, Rrasco, how many shots do you need? A guy within a handful of yards can get to you in no time. I don't know, I think it is a good idea to try out as many handguns as you can before you decide.
nah, i want a semi.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:45 PM

I looked at that same Smithy revolver. It is very lightweight and compact, and it's a dummy-proof revolver. I went with the semi because I like to go to the range and it's not very fun to shoot a revolver at the range.
I looked at buying from auctionarms.com, but I found the prices to be slightly more expensive than buying at a store. Unless you know someone who has a FFL, you'll have to pay them $15-$40 to have the gun shipped to them, then you have to pay $20 more or so for shipping. By the time it's all said and done, you'll be paying more than buying at a shop.
I say look around at pawn shops too. You can find good deals there. I found a H&K 9mm (don't remember the model) for $399. Looked like it had shot MAYBE 3 mags through it. I didn't buy it because the Taurus I bought has a warranty, and came with free hour of instruction on the range with it.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Retired Moderator

I think most everyone is after a semi-auto. I just have a very wierd thing aboutlocating allmy shells. It is really stupid and disfunctional, but I get stressed if I can't collect all my spent casings...kind of like an O.C.D. thing. Anyway, arevolver solves that for me...and quiets the voices in my head.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM

TennesseeCBRF2if you dont mind me asking how much did you pick the Taurus up for? I have been looking at getting the XD 9 for the range but for $500. I looked at Gander Mountain at the PT111 they are asking $339.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM

i have a ruger p90 its one of the best 45's, my brother has a 40 and i think i like the 40 better. I don't think you can really go wrong though with anything you like. Glock's are good HK's are awesome but there a lot of money, springfield, if your looking at 45's i've heard kimber is the best 1911 style gun you can get, but whatever you like the best man will do good for you. The only company i've heard bad about is s&w's handguns, because they tried to copy glock and they arent very reliable, this was a few years ago when i was researching thou so it might be completely different. I would just recommend that you get stainless steel not blued, because i've heard that with blued steel you should clean it everytime you touch it or take it shooting because the oil will pit the metal where as with stainless steel you only have to clean it every so often.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

i think i am going to look into a new barrel for my 1911 because mine has horrible accuracy, i can hit center mass at 30-40ft but it isnt consistent....and its not my shooting ability either, i am a great shot....

anyone know of a great place to buy 1911 barrels?
Barsto and Kart are top choices for barrels. It more than likely isn't your barrel though but could be your barrel bushing. Your barrel bushing holds everything in-line and tight, and theres a huge difference in factory and a fitted quality bushing. Any reputable pistol smith can check it for you and make a recomendation, but if your 1911 is one of the better ones, Springfeild, colt, kimber, S&W, so on and as long as you don't have oodles of rounds through it, the bore is nice and bright, not pitted from neglectful maintenance and such, I'd put money on it that your bushing could be better off. That....or it's the shooter

About stainless vs blued...theres tons of options for finish these days, often you'll pay $$$$ for a premium finish as they are found as options on the higher end pistols. Some people have acidic skin oil...well, we all do to some degree, and stainless isn't stainless. I have a stainless Colt that a buddy left a thumbprint on by me not wiping it off soon enough, and regardless of cleaning, it's still there. A carry gun will show wear much more than a safe queen, it's next to your warm skin, sweat, hot, cold conditions...think of it as the guns character.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Any military guys that want a SIG they are offering them at discount. Send me an email address and I willemail you the form. Only two per ID.
Or email Cathy.Barton@Sigarms.com [mailto:Cathy.Barton@Sigarms.com] On Behalf Of Federal-MilitarySales@Sigarms.com

Here is the information that you requested. Please note that the pistols listed on this order form are the only ones that are available under this program. If you are interested in something that is not listed here, please contact your local SIG dealer to request pricing and availability.

Please make sure that you fill out all of the required fields. It is important that you provide your home address. Credit cards are not approved when the billing address is not provided.

Military personnel must have the pistol sent to an FFL holder and the letterhead is not required. Federal agents have the option of sending the pistol to an FFL holder. If you choose this option then the Letterhead does not have to be filled out. For those that live in states that do not allow high cap magazines, you are better off having it sent to your agency. You must include a copy of your ID with your order if sending it to an FFL. If sent to agency, then the letterhead needs to be filled out. If the FFL holder tells you that they are already on file with us there is no need to send another FFL. Simply write the name and address either on the order form or include a separate piece of paper with the details.

Please make sure that you read the directions found in the bottom left corner of the form. It is important that you include all of the required documentation with your order.

Please note that the pricing is valid through 06/30/2007. If you place your order after that date you must obtain a new order form with current pricing.

Please note that you will see an initial “pending” charge on your Credit Card when your order is placed. This is not an actual charge. It does not mean that your order has shipped. Our system goes in and “reserves” the money for when the item is ready to ship. The pending charge will “drop off” and you will not see another charge until the pistol has actually shipped.

Lead time is as stated on the order form. It currently is running 30-60 days After Receipt of Order.

Mail all originals and required documentation to the address found on the order form. Faxed copies not accepted.

Please use email as the venue for any questions that you may have.

Thank you for choosing Sigarms.

Regards,

Sigarms Federal and Military Sales

Quick Reply: HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice