Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

So I had long awaited to get me a handgun and a CHL. I have decided that I will be in the market real soon and wanted to start figuring out exactly what I want. What I was wondering is what kind of gun to get.

First off, is it really a must to pay around $500 for a decent handgun? I had always wanted a glock, for no specific reason, but damn, thats alot of money. Is it possible to get a nice handgun for around $300?

I have been looking at a glock .40 and the springfield XD. I shot my brothers glock 22 .40 a few months back and its a nice gun, but he got the short stock which I didnt like since it felt like it was going to fly out of my hand, so I would get the longer stock if I did. What are your thoughts on these 2 guns and other handguns in general?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

you can get a decent pistol for around 300, but it's going to be used.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM

I paid $450 for my Sig 9MM, used, barelyfrom a cop. the slide showed very little wear.
You can get a cheaper for less, but its a cheaper gun. It has been a few years since I was really into
the gun scene, but from what I remember, there are a lot better things out there than a glock.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 PM

You can get the SAPD police trade ins at Dury's gun shop if they still have any left. I think they were going for about $250-$350 depending on condition. Downside is they say San Antonio Police Dept on it.

I have the XD9mm 4" and it was my original carry gun, but it became bulky. Excellent weapon otherwise, but it costs about $500 new. I kept it and bought a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 which is a great gun, a little snappy but not too bad for a .45 cal. and conceals much better. I picked it up for like $320 new at sportsmans warehouse. I don't feel AS comfortable about the reliability of the Taurus as I do the XD. The XD has gone bang every trigger pull with over 3000 rounds through it. Not even a hiccup.

We should go for a ride sometime man. We can talk bikes and weapons

Old 04-07-2007, 05:19 PM

My dad has a CHP and uses an automatic when he re-qualifies every year.

(If you qualify with just a revolver...you are restricted to carrying just a revolver.)

He uses a S & W...like a Glock...but a bit cheaper and shoots nice.

I have one of these as well...

http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm

Old 04-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 98CBR600F3

You can get the SAPD police trade ins at Dury's gun shop if they still have any left. I think they were going for about $250-$350 depending on condition. Downside is they say San Antonio Police Dept on it.

I have the XD9mm 4" and it was my original carry gun, but it became bulky. Excellent weapon otherwise, but it costs about $500 new. I kept it and bought a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 which is a great gun, a little snappy but not too bad for a .45 cal. and conceals much better. I picked it up for like $320 new at sportsmans warehouse. I don't feel AS comfortable about the reliability of the Taurus as I do the XD. The XD has gone bang every trigger pull with over 3000 rounds through it. Not even a hiccup.

We should go for a ride sometime man. We can talk bikes and weapons
ya, after the bike is done! maybe ride out to the range or something.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

The Glock 22 is a great handgun. If you held a .40cal Glock and the handstock was short in anyway, you had the Glock model 23 (compact). The Glock 27 is the ultra-compact version of the .40cal. The Glock 22 is a full size pistol.

The Spri9ngfield XD's are nice, but they don't have the reliability of the Glock. In any case, unless you plan on putting more than 10,000 rounds in it, you won't notice anything. Get what you want.

Also, if you are getting it for protection, the .40 is great. However, if you want to use it for both protection and at the range, get a 9mm as it's much cheaper on ammunition. There will be a small price drop as well on the pistol itself.

Personally, I prefered the Beretta 96FS for the .40cal and the 92FS for the 9mm. A new Beretta will run about $600 whereas you can get a comparable Glock for about $550. The Springfield XD's are similar to the Glock in terms of price. I would get the Beretta.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Springfield XD's won awards and I was pretty happy with mine. It was the 9mm, it was very unaccurate tho. I paid $430 for it with 2 mags a case and an XD belt holster. Then of course I had to put a tactical light on the picanny rail, $120. Definately check the market and see what feels comfy to conceal, thats a big deal to actually carry and be comfortable.

Look for Taurus, they are inexpensive and pretty reliable. Do you have gun shows there? Here we have massive ones once a month, 1,000's of new and used guns and accesories. Thats where you should go.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i love my 35 series .40 glock . perfect weight, length just everything about it works for me

Old 04-07-2007, 10:18 PM

so i dont mean to hi-jack this thread (sorry rrasco) but in in the market for a handgun and want to know where i shoul;d start lookin.......

i have had military training if that makes a difference......

Quick Reply: HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice