Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got two tickets on my bike yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
March 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got two tickets on my bike yesterday

So a michigan state trooper pulls me over and was a complete A-hole to me the whole time. i was treated like pure crap by this officer. Apparently he is just one more tin god with a badge and a gun. Anyways i have the moto gp shorty pipe on my bike and he said it is to loud. Which it is, but he did not perform any db tests on it at all. Also i have my plate mounted vertical on the swingarm which i got ticketed for as well. I was unaware that mounting a plate vertical is illegal.i got home and looked it and Michigan law says that a plate must be lit, horizontal and a minimum of 12" off the ground.

I am just P.O. about the whole thing since he did not write me fix it tickets, since he said i did the mods on purpose he wrote me two civil infractions that must be paid and not written off each costing $100.

I am thinking about taking the fines to court and using the loud pipes save lives line and just explaining that i was unaware of the license plate law. Do you think i stand a fair chance of getting reduced/dropped fines?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be able to beat the pipe since he did not take any decibel readings. Plus if you somehow happen to have a stock pipe on when you go to court

Can't beat the plate one tho.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Tough luck dude. My advice is if you wish to fight the tickets do not mention loud pipes save lives. The pipe tickets get thrown out in GA all the time because 1) nobody carries a decibel meter and 2) even if they did have a meter the law is ambiguous about how far away to measure the sound.

The tag one is a bee-yatch because you see choppers and the sort with the vertical tag all the time. I think the ones that wrap around on the swing arm are da bomb!

Most of the time to effectively win in court you need a lawyer ... but it's cheaper to just pay a non-points ticket than hire a lawyer. So it's catch 22, eh? Try calling an attorney that gives free initial consultation. Like cops, some of 'em are decent peeps and will help you out. Especially the ones that ride also

Old 08-30-2009, 03:26 PM

that sucks man, those MI troopers can be bitches

Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

FYI, Ignorance is no excuse under the law. Sorry dude, people for a long time stopped using commen sence in the law.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been pulled over by the MI troopers a few times. I always have been treated fairly. The loud pipes saves lives will not work but I would still fight that ticket because he didn't take a reading. The plate ticket does suck but you probably get stuck with it.I would fix it for now and show up with the bike fixed and just tell the judge you bought it that way but have fixed it in order to comply with the laws. See how that goes.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM
July 2008 ROTM

No offense, but the "loud pipes save lives" defense is retarded. They'll laugh at you in the court room for trying to use that. Don't bother.

I would fix the plate and say you were unaware of the law and have fixed it, hopefully they'll sympathize and drop that one. As for the exhaust, you can try to contest based on no DB testing was conducted so there's no factual information regarding its legality, but you might just want to eat that one and consider getting something quieter.

Just my two pennies.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Hey Hangfire, who should he talk to again? I forgot

Quick Reply: Got two tickets on my bike yesterday