Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Going from the U.S. to Canada W/ a permit

Old 09-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from the U.S. to Canada W/ a permit

So i'm headed to canada this coming weekend, taking my bike on the trip. I live in washington, so I have to pass the border to get to Canada, obviously . The catch: I only have my riding permit, not an endorsement. Will this matter for crossing the border?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Going from the U.S. to Canada W/ a permit

Dan,
I just got back from a work convention, of which many of our Canadian stores attended. They said it is really easy to get into Canada, but getting into America is a pain. I'm not sure how the "mounties" will react to you riding around without an endorsment, and conversly, when you come back into the states, you may have an issue...don't know. Just don't wear a turbin on your trip back!

Old 09-30-2006, 05:03 PM

Lol, well, i'll make sure I remove the giant bomb that I was planning on riding with strapped to my chest before I cross back into the U.S. But, can they really not allow be back into the country when it's the country i'm from becuse i don't have an endorsment? I konw its legal to ride here with only a permit, so long as its day light hours and i'm riding alone. As far as I know, I will be abiding by both when I cross the border.

Dan

Old 09-30-2006, 05:58 PM

checked the dmv website and they just talk about what you already mentioned about daylight and no passengers. couldn't find any thing on the RCW webpage about crossing over with only permit. i'm not sure if it applies but B.C. has the same rules as far as daylight and no passenger, they also have a 60kh speed restriction for there motorcycle permit. good luck to ya, i will talk to a msf instructor that i know.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:00 PM

Just follow your restrictions and you'll be ok. Your M/C class won't even come up at the border.

B.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Retired Moderator

In Oregon, as a rider with a permit, you have to be with an endorsed rider (on his own motorcycle) in order to ride at all. You can't ride alone at any time. That is the reason I was concerned about you being able to ride at all. The rules are totally different here. I wouldn't be too concerned, then. Also, they can only buy a couple of types of cigarettes and chew, so if you bring Marlboros and Kodiac, you could probably make a lot of money on our brother "Canuks"...beauty, eh!