Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas prices...

on your first point:
At the time, we did hold the same limited world view as al Qaeda. We both wanted the USSR defeated. Does the phrase "it's better to fight them over there" sound familiar? Well, let's go one better. It's better for THOSE GUYSto fight them over there. The US has been doing this forever. We support a group or country and then turn on them when they get "too big for their britches" Stalingrad-WWII for example. We supported the Russians there to defeat **** Germany and then support al Qaeda to defeat Russia (sort of). We give our government a little wiggle room to decide the "lesser of two evils". That's just the way that it is.

On your second point:
Yes, monies from the US do go to support terrorism. But on a whole, I think that the difference is motive.

Why would someone from Saudi want the US on it's knees? Hmmmm. Seems to me that we helped them out some time back with something. . . Sometime in the early 90's maybe. My memory fails at times.

I support Bush and voted for him, but it is NO SMALL COINCIDENCE that we put an Oil man in the White House and oil prices shoot up 400%. Again, just an opinion.

Interesting... so based on your argument, you are saying that, we the United States of America, have/had the same belief system and world view as the taliban and al qaeda.

Keep in mind, our great nation played a big part in bringing the taliban and al qaeda to power, just like Saddam Hussein. It was us, the USA, supplying them with weapons (Stinger missles) and training against the now defunct USSR. If anything, I would think Russia would have more than enough motivation to see us fail.

...Sure money from oil rich nations ends up in terrorist hands. Money from the US end up in terrorists hands as with all other countries. To think otherwise is simply niave.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

Fish, One thing that im not sure on is, Didn't only large business have the ability to do oil futures when their company was a major user of that product? Like Southwest Airlines, there making it cause they bought a **** load of futures and really are only paying around $87 per barrel. Or has it been open to investors the whole time? Futures are new to me in the fact I never had enough money to even think about em, now im a little bit interested to play in that market someday.
Yes..I think...I know futures were initially set up for farmers to deal with changing wheat, corn and even pork belly prices to flatten out their year to year revenuenumbers. Then I guess companies got into it to hedge input costs, then speculators. Current talk is to raise the amount of $$$ it takes to control a contract ie to reduce leverage, that should take out some speculators or at least their effects..

We do agree on speculators raising prices, I just disagree on a linear relationship, a small reduction in world oil use, will drop the price dramatically, but that may not ever happen.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Crude Oil Imports (Top 15 Countries)
(Thousand Barrels per Day)

Country
YTD 2008

CANADA

SAUDI ARABIA

MEXICO

NIGERIA

VENEZUELA

IRAQ

ANGOLA

ALGERIA

BRAZIL

KUWAIT

ECUADOR

COLOMBIA

CHAD

RUSSIA

LIBYA

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...ports/cli.html
That shows all the fuel companies and where they import their product from. I know that sunoco does not import any venezuelan or Saudi oil/gas...those are the main two countries to avoid right now.

So i buy from sunoco,flying J, etc. that adopted the same policy

Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM

why avoid Venezuaean oil?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM

sorry guys i really dont know this area and have no valuable input. i did want to say thank you cause i am learning a lot from this thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

That shows all the fuel companies and where they import their product from. I know that sunoco does not import any venezuelan or Saudi oil/gas...those are the main two countries to avoid right now.
Crude oil is a worldwide commodity, whether you buy or don't buy from venezuela or saudi is immaterial, within reason one barrel of oil is just like the next, it is not a branded product like a Dole pineapple or a chiquita banana or even dolphin safe tuna. If you want to hurt the Saudis or Venezuelans, then you have to reduce your overall usage to lower overall prices, not just buy from sunoco which will at best create a slightly higher price for sunoco branded gasoline.