Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Full ignition system for you sports car, whats the benefits? msd or other.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full ignition system for you sports car, whats the benefits? msd or other.

Ok so here is my question was are the benefits of a full msd for you sports car? I for instance have a 1991 mustang LX 5.0 with some extras such as, full exhaust, edelbrock performer prm intake, 24lp injectors & maf, e-cam, gt40p heads street ported. roller rockers and a nos sniper kit. So what are the benefits of having a full msd ignition to include, 6AL box, Msd blaster coil, and a msd distributor? couldn't you just get the blaster coil and get similar results with a stock distributor and ignition module? Infact besides rev limiters what is the benefit of the 6al box over stock ignition? I know that the more "fire" the better the burn off of fuel which means a little more hp and tq. And the benefits of a distributor could be lighter internals with less reciprocating mass as well as better firing at higher rmps. However everyone tells me to get a FULL Msd ignition for my car and I would notice alot of difference but is it worth $300? I shift my car at 5500 which the stock distributor can more than handle, so what do you think? Also what about other brands? May sound like a noobish question as far as cars are concerned but i have seen 400hp motors with stock ignition systems and fuel pumps, someone clarify for me plz
Thanks in advance
Finch

Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

An aftermarket ignition can go a long way in improving the performance of your 5.0. The stock Ford ignition system will do fine with a bone-stock engine, but as soon as you start adding performance pieces, an aftermarket ignition system will be necessary to keep up with the extra spark demands needed to feed upgrades such as intake, heads and cam. If you plan to go the power-adder route, you will definitely need to install an aftermarket ignition. If you don’t have the most optimum spark available for power adders, you’ll definitely be hurting parts in short order.
MSD has been producing ignition systems for years and if you’ve ever watched NASCAR racing, those boys rely on MSD ignition components in their cars, so that tells you something about the quality of their stuff. Furthermore, MSD has several ignition system components directly tailored toward the 5.0 Mustang.
The MSD ignition system we’re installing is called the Digital-6 Plus. The D-6 Plus uses a high-speed RISC microcontroller to control the ignition’s output while constantly analyzing the various inputs such as supply voltage, trigger signals and rpm. The microcontroller processes all this information and can make quick compensations to the output voltage, multiple spark series, timing and rpm limits while maintaining accurate timing signals to within 1degree and 1 percent of the rpm limits.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/how...tem/index.html

im running a full msd in my quest... currently

but then again im boosting.... spark likes to go byebye

Old 04-30-2010, 03:45 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month