Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

FREEDOM!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FREEDOM!

Just FYI I'm not advocating wearing a helm or not. Just FYIing people I can ride without one now. I'll still ride with once, except probably to the gas station and back which is like .25miles from my place and not on a major road.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"whiney assed safetycrats".....good phraseology, Dusterdude, and I respect individual rights and freedom as much as the next man ( and I DID have to fight for it) -helmets have been law here for as long as I can remember, at least until back in the 70's, and nobody bitches about wearing one here. Hell, we buy the most expensive gear we can afford....I've seen at least 5 accidents/crashes recently where the rider's head hit the asphalt/pavement/whatever, and if he hadn't been wearing a lid ,the collective head injuries would have been a real strain on their families. Freedom to do what you want - sure thing - freedom to become a burden to others if it goes wrong - NO WAY. I'd be keen to hear what others think on this, but we have a phrase here - ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time - my 2c worth

Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 AM

i have no issue with anyone that wants to wear whatever they want to wear,it just pisses me off,that people who ride bikes and know what we go through as far as anti-motorcycle legislation is concerned are so damn quick to give up another one of their rights.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM

What rights? Riding and driving are not rights. They are privileges.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM

I think they should be rights in this modern age. Our entire infrastructure is build around paved roads that sole purpose is to only to have automotive traffic. Stores, work, life, is so far away from our homes it's impossible to live without some mean of auto transport. If you dont have a car you might as well be homeless.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Maybe if you live on a farm in Nebraska. All modern citys have a mass transit of some sort.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Ya, there are still TONS AND TONS of people that dont live in cities.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM

I know some of the outskirt cities here still have a transit system. And even if they dont they can still drive their car. Just because its not a right does not mean they cant drive. They still have the privilege.

If someones driving privileges were taken away. They probably shouldnt be on the road in the first place. Imagine how many drunks would still be on the road weaving around...

Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: rrasco

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

^^^Spirit - insightful as always...

I need to change the batteries in me smoke detector... been chirping for a year now...
at my last apartment I didn't change the battery for like 3 years when I moved out. I got so used to it I would have company over and they were like WTF was that, and I was like, what? Then they say, you didn't hear that loud *** beep? Oh, musta been the smoke detector.
LMAO - I thought it was only us, lol. Yeah, company comes over and sometimes they can even hear it outside... we never do... meh once in a great while, lol.

Hey Shadow, I'm not sure if that was a sarcastic shot or just poor humor, in any case...

Let's be carefull in what we define as privilidges and rights. Our forefathers called these truths, "self-evident with respect to all men." I can tell you right now - MATTER OF FACT - we have been living with laws that shouldn't be in place and we have given them permission by voting for them...

SO - if we're going to get into a philosphical debate about rights and privilidges, either save it for another thread or edumacate yerselves!

Now, on to the helmet thing. I ask the simplest question...

Why do you care?

You can cry and scream and stomp your feet all day long folks but insurance companies have been cashing in since before motorcycles were in ever 5th garage in a neighborhood. You don't get to come in here and claim Billy Joe Bob hiked up your rates because he didn't wear a helmet when he wrecked and died. It's simply not true...

SO - IF YOURE GONNA HAVE AN OPINION MAKE IT YOUR OWN AND NOT SOME NONSENSICAL RHETORIC WE'VE ALL HEARD BEFORE.

Convincing yourself that lack of helmet laws affect your premiums is like saying terrorists are everywhere so we need a Patriot Law.

"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin.

Yes, it applies.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Omfg. I think hell just froze over. I agree with Kid.

Quick Reply: FREEDOM!