Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Food stamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Food stamps

I know that mygeographic locationis depressed financially, but I get frustrated when I see what I saw tonight. I was behind a lady at the supermarket, and she had two frozen pizzas, candy, a two liter of soda, and a six pack of beer. Of course, she had to pay for the beer with cash, but the rest was covered by public assistance. I couldn't help thinking, if she can afford beer, she can buy her own food, especially if it is junk food. I wouldn't care too much if this was an exception to what I see. At the local market, I see little kids buying $hit with the "Oregon Trail Card", I see overweight mothers buying Twinkies, I see people buying extravagances, and it pisses me off. I hategetting overwhelmed at tax time only to see those who don't have the same responsibility get to be indulgent. If it was my sick world, I would have a list of items that could be purchased, and that would include meat, bread, milk, spices, etc. Indulgences (smokes, alchohol, twinkies)would cancel outthe reason to have public assistance...does that sound too much like an Aldous Huxley novel? The origin of public assistance in America originated with president Herbert Hoover during theGreat Depression. That was a more noble cause than the reasons for today's assistance. Maybe I am off my rocker...what do you think?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:21 AM
Default RE: Food stamps

+10 I agree with everyword you just said

Old 02-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people would rather get paid very little to do nothing, than go out and be industrious to make a better living, all we are doing is paying these people to be poor....-Rush Limburgercheese

i agree 100%, if you dont thats fine, if you dont agree, too bad, i get sick of seeing navigators and escalades in front of trailor homes, and seeing poor familys with 6 kids, all wearing air jordans, polo jeans, and a $100 nba jersey. im gonna stop now before i say horrible things

Old 02-18-2007, 02:31 AM

i get sick of seeing navigators and escalades in front of trailor homes,
LOL, Currently I am in a park with a mobile home while we put a house on our land. And funny enough I drive a Navigator and tend to wear polo jeans(although those arent very expensive). Were you referring to me? I am not taking your tax money though.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i am, but since you use my tax money to ride, god, and myself, and probably voodoo forgive you. plus im sayin "while we put a house on our land" meaning youre building a damn house ya know, my aunt and uncle lived in some SHIIIITTTTYYYYYYYY and i mean ****ttty places, where i went to buy weed one time in the same apt complex about 5 years ago , and i really thought i was about to get robbed and car jacked, now they have their 3k sqft home on like 4 acres. i go back now to this idiot i worked with at Leith inc. hes the poster child for retards that take our money. he was i beleive 28, he had 4 maybe 5 kids, by 2 different women. saying he wants another buy the time hes 30. he would constantly talk about how hes about to get some ridiculous bike and how he "needs at least a nine hunned" and told me he was gonna buy a $1200 leather race suit? i mean what the **** seriously, saying hes had rims on every car he owns, he was under the impression he was gonna get some big check for a slip-n-fall on the job...oh did i mention he was working for 7 bucks an hour....7 an hour wont feed me alone, how does that feed a family of SEVEN?!?!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:46 AM

I walked rode down to the 7-11 the other day to grab some smokes (Don't worry I work full time ) there is this tub of a woman in front of me with 3 kids all of them wearing nasty ratty sweat pants / shirts. She has a gallon of milk, chips, the nasty 7-11 nachos which she paid for shockingly enough with her Oregon Trail card. Then she buys (I am not even close to kidding) $50 worth of lotto tickets, it was so hard to keep my mouth shut. I can understand the need for the Oregon Trail card (or similar) sometimes people are truly in need.However there are literally generations of families that have lived off the card. I think there should be a 6 month or maybe even 1 year restriction for use of thesystem. You go past the time period and bam you got nothing it's time to join the rest of the world who work for a living!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 AM

but since you use my tax money to ride, god, and myself, and probably voodoo forgive you.
I said I dont take your tax money, but if you want to give me some money to ride thats coo. And my bike, navigator, envoy, and my place are all paid for with cash, my hard earned cash. So I think the Navigator in a park wearin polos phrase is flawed.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:30 AM
VP

ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15

but since you use my tax money to ride, god, and myself, and probably voodoo forgive you.
I said I dont take your tax money, but if you want to give me some money to ride thats coo. And my bike, navigator, envoy, and my place are all paid for with cash, my hard earned cash. So I think the Navigator in a park wearin polos phrase is flawed.
I think the main point in what they're trying to get across here is that some people take advantage of the system by spending our tax dollars on food, and their income on booze, lotto tickets, and other personal assets (such as vehicles, rims, etc). It is an unfortunate coincidence that you drive the "vehicle of the year" as far as stereotypes go...

Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM

I pretty much agree with what everyone is trying to say... I think what bushy's point is, don't stereotype what you see -- it's not always as it seems.

But I work in a seedy part of town and I see a lot of things. Watching grossly overweight people buy junk food with government assistance and then buy smokes and beer with cash is a little a hard to take. Then following them out to the parking lot and watch them get into a brand new Escalade really irks me. There are no controls.

Just a couple weeks ago, this big mama in front of me rung up close to $400 in food stamps but the cashier told her she couldn't buy her beer yet. Big mama said she knew, she was gonna pay cash for the beer, but the cashier says, no, you can't buy beer for 15 more minutes because it's not 6am yet. I thought they were gonna come to blows in the ensuing argument. Security had to be called and everything to get this woman out of the line.

I ended up behind her on her way out and she went straight too a nice shiny white Escalade with spinners, low profile tires, stereo thumping, the works... oh yeah, complete with at least 6 kids in the car all by themselves with the oldest one looking to be 7 or 8.

I believe unannounced visits, or hell, even checking public records on what vehicles people can afford should be in order.

Anyway.... sorry about the ranting. A few things push my buttons, and this is one of them.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 PM

+1... I have to agree. If they can setup those cards to not allow them to buy beer and cigs, I am quite sure they can set them up so they cant use them to buy nachos, and 7lb containers of double fudge riple. I know there are people out there who need the assistance, and they should get it. But you are right there are many people who find it more advantageous to just have one or two more kids and keep raking the dollas in and becoming welfare moms.

Quick Reply: Food stamps