Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

FML. Has anyone used Slime in their Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FML. Has anyone used Slime in their Tires?

Hey guys I was just curious if anyone used Slime in their tires? I have a 02 F4i and I JUST had a Pirelli Diablo tire put on her. Literally, Went to have it put on and rode around for a couple hours then had sh*tty weather the next 2 days....Walk out to my garage dead flat tire. Turns out i have a tiny hole right in the center of my tread and im clueless to how it got there. Anyways I bought some slime and put it in my tire 16 oz. even though the website recommended 20.2oz.... I was just curious if anyone has put this in their tired and did it effectively fix your problem....the hole i have is very small and there wasnt anything in my tire so im guessing i hit a sharp rock or something....

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you can get tires permanently repaired or just on a get you home basis . I think you need to talk to the shop where you got it fitted , see if they can repair it properly for you .

Personally I wouldn't trust my life to a can of slim , just my 2cnts

Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Pretty sure slime and other stuff like that are just quick fixes until you can get your tire truly repaired. But if it's a small hole shouldn't be too bad.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, those spray type tire "sealers" are designed for quick fix. Get it repaired properly w/a patch. If the hole is too big for a patch, get it plugged. If a plug is done properly, it will be reliable.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Talking great for a tractor

bro, dont forget that if you ride in the triple digits, a blow out could be fatal. +1 on above advise, take the time to go back to the dealer and have them check for a defect or atleast remove and patch from the inside and rebalance. slime works fine for tires your life dont depend on.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

use a patch or a plug as long as it's put on correctly they work just fine I did a track day on a 3 dollar plug I bought at walmart :P Not saying you SHOULD do it but you could hehe

Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Thank you So much everyone! Yeah kind of pisses me off cause dealer told me slime would do the trick but i still feel uncomfortable with it....hell im even uncomfortable with a patch or a plug...It just all feels like a huge gamble but i dont have the $$$ to get another new tire on being a college student and all...I guess ill figure something out!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM

I used slim on my truck tire, it held air for two or the weeks just fine. I don't know if I would trust it for very long on a bike though.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New tire dammit!!!!! 16oz of oooze in your rim?? Are you kidding me? Slime is for a lawnmower tire or to get you to a tire repair place in a cage -- not for a beast capable of 150+ mph.

Do what you feel is best within your budget. But if it were me, I would take the tire off and chuck it in the nearest landfill/recycle center/tire chucking place and get a new one. You have 2 tires on a bike. Either f's up and you are going down. Whether you and your bike survive depends entirely on luck if your tire takes a crap while going.

I do not want to hear about your patch/plug/slime taking a dump while you are in a curve and the 6 pins, 20 screws and 3 fractures you got while busting into a tree.

New tire = $200 max ... often $150 or so

Hospital bill for simple fracture = $4000 min ... copay on most insurance for this would be over $400

You choose ...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior
Lightbulb

I am with most here. The tire slim will hold for now. Just becareful. Now that tire slim u used is a liquid. It will mess up your balance of the tire and in the end just be bad all around. Also when they take or u take that tire off all that crap has to come out and is toxic. The tire must be scrubed out for a patch to work properly. A patch will fix it and in no way will affect anything. Small holes are any easy fix. Holes bigger then a dime are not fixable. It is a small cost to have it repaired especially if you can bring them a tire unmounted. If you can't shouldn't be to much to have them dismount and rebalance when your done. A patch on a tire will out last the tire it self. On bike tires you can get 5 holes and be good. As long as they are not right next to each other it will work. O and they cannot and i repeat cannot be on the outer edges of the tire. Really good patchers can fix sidewalls but it is hard beacuse of the tire squating and all around movement. A patch works from the inside so it won't affect handling or anything. Plugs on the other hand do change the dynamics a bit but still work. Patch over plug any day.

Quick Reply: FML. Has anyone used Slime in their Tires?