Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Finally getting DSL at home!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally getting DSL at home!!!!

so i am finally biting the bullet and overpaying for DSL at my house....its a damn monopoly here....$37.99 for 768kbps service. oh well. anyways i have never set up a dsl modem b4. is it easy? also i have to go down to walmart and pick up a cheap wireless router for my laptop. i will be running a desktop and a laptop off this....anything i should know? im going for the cheapest options possible lol there a linksys router at walmart for like $40 bucks.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally getting DSL at home!!!!

Good luck man. I personally hate DSL, (which is through Quest and is WAY overpriced here............$57.99/month) which is why I'm paying $42.99/month for Comcast High Speed (6 MB/s).

Old 11-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Retired Moderator

congrats .. but if you haven't signed the deal yet; is cable modem an option for you? I had dsl and dropped it at home because my cable speeds where about 3 times what I was getting with DSL for about the same price.

Edit: Blue's connection is apparently faster than mine cuz he said the same thing only faster [8D]

Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

no cable is not an option....there is no other option whatsoever....none....zero. in my area there is ONE available phone service, no cable, no nothing......i have checked verizon, quest, time warner, at&t etc etc.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Retired Moderator

^^^ About time dammit! Now I can bug you while you are at home, too!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Good luck man. I personally hate DSL, (which is through Quest and is WAY overpriced here............$57.99/month) which is why I'm paying $42.99/month for Comcast High Speed (6 MB/s).
comcast FTW!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 PM

No cable options? Freezing weather? Almost 0 population?

Ever thought of transplanting to so cal. I think you would like it more down here...

Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM

lol, if you think that's expensive listen to what we have. A 512kbps connection which is capped at 10gb costs us $135 a month here in South Africa and an uncapped 512kbps connection costs $240 a month. We have one phone service and they way over charge but there's nothing we can do about it.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

so i am finally biting the bullet and overpaying for DSL at my house....its a damn monopoly here....$37.99 for 768kbps service. oh well. anyways i have never set up a dsl modem b4. is it easy? also i have to go down to walmart and pick up a cheap wireless router for my laptop. i will be running a desktop and a laptop off this....anything i should know? im going for the cheapest options possible lol there a linksys router at walmart for like $40 bucks.
GD what a ripoff. I pay $25 a month for 3 megs down and 512k up. Before that I did $20 for 1.5 megs down and 384k up. I have SBC and there are tons of choices here, so that explains it.

Anyway, setting up the DSL modem is easy. Do it at first with one computer hard wired and make sure you get on line. Then hook up your router to the PC and get that set up. Finally, hook the pc to the router, and try to get it to connect through the modem. In some cases, the router and modem won't talk to each other and you need to do some configuration. With my newest DSL modem, I had to change the configuration through the IP addy to bridged mode so that it would see the router.

The nice thing about the seperate setup is that if something doesn't work, you can hook the pc directly to the modem, surf for some fixes and try again.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM

ahh.. Lame! im dislexic.. i thought you said you were getting LSD at your house.. i was thinking **** YEA! i need to read this!

Quick Reply: Finally getting DSL at home!!!!