Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Feeling stupid about my annual credit report.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Feeling stupid about my annual credit report.....

Ok members....

So I receive a phone call at work....the moment I pick up, the OP hang up??? Said to myself that was weird? My eyebrows started flickering....i have 6 senses....

So I Log on to www.annualcreditreport.com

To my surprise! Yes! Identity Theft!

TransUnion: In Collection Agency!!! Someone got my info and apply credit card! WTF...mess up my credit score!!'

I was pissed! File dispute immediately....

Then thought, how about the other 2 credit agency Experian & Equifax.

At heat of moment, I pay $30 for all three credit report & credit score from all 3 agency, TransUnion/Experian/Equifax.

Printed out, check everything, only 1 identify theft from TransUnion....so my credit score was in the toilet for TransUnion....so ok, I'll dispute to have this remove from my record.

Next day, I found out that by Law, you get 1 free credit report every year, from all 3 agency, not 1....

****!!!! $30 in the toilet!! Stupid me! That's a lesson learn, don't make any decision in the heat of moment...calm down, take so time to review, then proceed...

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$30 to verify your credit standing and preventing identity theft = very very very small price to pay. I hope you can get everything sorted so it doesn't damage too much.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still partly worth it for $30. One thing you don't get with the annual report is your score. It only tells you the items on the report.

Just be glad you caught it now. Hopefully it won't take too much effort to reverse.

I have an account with Experian that costs me something like $7.50/mo (I was able to talk them down a bit). I get unlimited updates to my Experian report and score, and then a free three-bureau report and score every 90 days. Since I'm working on buying a house right now, it's totally worth it.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to here you are working towards a home...keep it up! Just hate it when **** like this happen....this shows how easy one can obtain an address + last name + SSN = free credit card!

I call the collection company! The guy that used my SSN to apply credit has a different name, just last name is same but first and middle name is different. No phone, no work info and they gave him $4000 credit! That's stupid.... Seem like anyone can get a credit with little info....guess those credit cars company have claim insurance...so they don't even bother to check...My phone number is still good on my credit report, all they need to do is call and ask if I am who I day I am....it's internal chit

Originally Posted by kowen1208
Still partly worth it for $30. One thing you don't get with the annual report is your score. It only tells you the items on the report.

Just be glad you caught it now. Hopefully it won't take too much effort to reverse.

I have an account with Experian that costs me something like $7.50/mo (I was able to talk them down a bit). I get unlimited updates to my Experian report and score, and then a free three-bureau report and score every 90 days. Since I'm working on buying a house right now, it's totally worth it.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you get a free credit report from all 3 the US govt, thru annualcreditreport.com, but you don't get actual credit score on those reports. If you want a credit score, you have to pay extra anyway.