Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

F-ing Yankees......Texiera $180mil

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F-ing Yankees......Texiera $180mil

^^what are you talking about?!?? What have the ****ed up? Nothing. Thanks to the new owners and management (theo esp.) they are able to put a highly competitive team on the field that they DO NOT have to buy. They just home-grown the AL MVP!!! Quit your bishing Hayden... the Yanks are in a "We need to win now!!" atitude and from where I sit, that's the best way for them to be because if the Marlins, D-Backs and Rays success lately has shown us anything is that money does not buy MLB Championships. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. Lester, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Masterson, DelCarmen, Papelbon, Buchholz, Lowrie... the list goes on and on, did they BUY any of these players that are now (or soon to be)the core of their team?!?? Relax buddy, there is nothing to worry about. I like the fact that the Sox stood up to Boras and said we are going to give you this much, and if not, then we walk. And they did. F the Yanks, F their huge salaries that are doomed to tie them up again in 4-5 years from now... things are all good in Red Sox Nation as far as I am concerned, cause we now develop and build a highly competitive squad now instead of buy one every year.

There are still lots of good players out there to be had on the cheap now that the Yanks are buying up all the big names. We don't need to make any "sweet moves" since we have everything we need in house already... the idea of a real team, a minor league system, is a foreign concept to the Yanks.

Here's some numbers I ran...

CC will make $6600 per pitch next season assuming he throws 100 pitches a start and starts 35 games. That's about $650,000 a game. I remember when the Sox gave Pedro that huge contract and people were pissed that he was gonna get $1500 a pitch.

The Yanks infield next year, when CC is on the mound, will cost them $116 mil.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

ORIGINAL: catamayo85

hayden, give props where props are due...you just mad baaaaaaaaaaaston didnt make any sweet moves [8D]

i will never give props to the Yankees, however i will say that the Red Sox ****ed this one up royally.
that is about as close as you'll get to giving props, so i will forever preserve it in teh internetz [8D]

and shinobi...that poem to voodoo...OUCH

Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM

im not a big baseball fan at all but i watch them do this every year and yet they still cant get it done in the post-season. maybe one of these days theyll stop throwing money at other teams good players and try and develop some of their own. aside from maybe a-rod it seems like every player they do this withgets huge bank and them slowly falls into obscurity. just my .02

Old 12-24-2008, 10:09 AM

i know what your saying jay, the red sox ownership has been great in their short time here. there **** up im saying is the Teixiera issue solely.

if they deem Tex is worth 170 mill over 8 years, but not 180 thats ridiculous. for approx 1-1.2 million a year difference, that gives you a top notch gold glove switch power hitting 1st baseman AND keeps a top notch gold glove switch power hitting 1st baseman away from a bitter rival. the sox eat more that that in salary all the time when they trade away unwanted players....

heres a simple question......are you saying if the sox right now could have texiera for 180million, knowing that its either that or to the yankees youd say fine let him walk?

the great news that the red sox decided not to raise ticket prices in 2009 is nice, but what most people don't remember is that their payroll dropped $40million since 2008......how much of that have they spent so far? ZERO. texiera at 180 million is 22.5 mill a year....even say 23-24 million, that still is a drop in payroll for the sox of about 16 million.....

all this being said, im still and will always be a die hard red sox fan......GO SOX!

oh and a caller on WEEI radio last night had a short but great quote.......

"Hey Mark Teixeira......**** YOU!"

Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM

You can't say it was just money that ended it, because that's probably not the case. No trade clauses and such written into contracts have alot to do with it as well. Let the Yanks have those WAY overpriced players and fade away in October... I don't really see any player as being worth that much money. I commend the Sox for not spending and in this economy who knows what will happen in the next few years. And I am not worried, all this money being thrown around by the Yanks as usual just makes it that much better when the Sox beat them.

And $10 mil is alot of money man. I will probably never make that much in my lifetime. These salaries the Yanks are handing out are bogus if you ask me and if anything it makes me not want to watch baseball anymore at all. They really do need a salary cap.

I know they may have to make a trade to pull this off as well, but I'd love to see Pat Burrell or Adam Dunn on the team next year.

And some pitchers that are still available: B Penny, B Sheets, J Smoltz, J Garland, D Lowe, M Prior and Oliver Perez just to name a few...

Old 12-24-2008, 10:54 AM

10 million IS alot of money under normal circurstances, but not these ones.....over 8 years thats 1.2 million a year....with a payroll of what? 140million? thats less than 1% difference....

i don't like Adam Dunn due to low batting average and high strikeouts, and the Sox are generally OBP guys (like Teixiera, Youk, etc) so i highly doubt youll see adam dunn anytime soon.....Pat burrell remeinds me of JD Drew.....similar in my mind anyways....

I love the upside to Penny and Sheets, id love to see one of them in the Sox uniform.

yes it will be that much better to beat the Yankees this year after they have spent all that money. It happens every time....

Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ i would like to have sheets too, but he gets hurt alot (i know cuz he was on my worthless FBB team [&:])

Old 12-24-2008, 11:00 AM

id also LOVE to see Rocco Baldelli in the Sox uni......especially in they get this disease he has straightened out....

Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 AM
RCR

Havent been to a game in years, whats the average ticket cost anymore? Beers are 10 bucks from what I hear also.