Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

An Eye For an Eye

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An Eye For an Eye

This is awesome!

An Iranian woman, blinded by a jilted stalker who threw acid in her face, has persuaded a court to sentence him to be blinded with acid himself under Islamic law demanding an eye for an eye. Ameneh Bahrami refused to accept "blood money." She insisted instead that her attacker suffer a fate similar to her own "so people like him would realize they do not have the right to throw acid in girls' faces," she told the Tehran Provincial Court.
Her attacker, a 27-year-old man identified in court papers as Majid, admitted throwing acid in her face in November 2004, blinding and disfiguring her. He said he loved her and insisted she loved him as well.
He has until early this week to appeal the sentence.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ice/index.html

Old 12-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: An Eye For an Eye

She told the court that she reported the conversation to police, saying he had threatened her with "burning for the rest of my life" but they said they could not act until a crime had been committed

Whats wrong here?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

She told the court that she reported the conversation to police, saying he had threatened her with "burning for the rest of my life" but they said they could not act until a crime had been committed

Whats wrong here?
It's Iran

Old 12-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Its the same here

Old 12-14-2008, 05:52 PM

But he would get out of jail in a year. He'd still have his eyes.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: TheX

But he would get out of jail in a year. He'd still have his eyes.
Surely that's the whole point! If the scum who break the law here knew that they would suffer a similar fate, maybe they would think twice?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
RCR

Thats not fair, I hope he appeals that sentence.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RCR

I absolutely disagree

Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCR

It's absolutely fair.... he took away her vision with acid, now she's taking away his vision with acid. Doesn't get more fair and even than that

If he has a problem with getting acid in his face.... well maybe he should have thought about that before he did the same. Remember.... stupid hurts!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

"An Eye for and Eye makes the world go blind." - Mahatma Gandhi.

Literally!

I have the feeling that this sort of mentality is why problems in the Middle East seem so, I´m not sure the word I´m looking for...primitive, perhaps? I´ve always felt that the problems that occur between Palestine and Israel are fueled a great deal by the "he hit me...nah uh...you hit me first" mentality. You can never be sure the causation of hostilities, but know that it is a perpetual hate being tossed back and forth will continue to infinity without the 2 growing up saying, "you know what...we both f´d up...can we start over?"

Anyway, back to this case, Yeah, it sounds great and all, apply the same punish to the person...Though, it sounds like a good idea, we stand a large risk of convicting the wrong person. I mean, seriously, we never convicted the wrong person to death, right (tongue in cheek). My greatest fear is being accused of something that I didn´t do. Its similar to someone telling me that I´m a careless thug because I ride a sportsbike. In this case, I would end up blinded without any recourse or any repair. What if I had my hand chopped off for theft or well...keep thinking down that road. What if evidence later comes up absolving me of any wrong doing? What then?

When I think about capital punishment, I think of how it might be mistakenly used on me. I really don´t care much what we do to the guilty (that´s not 100% true, but service my purpose for this argument), but I abhor punishing the innocent.

There are also those who will say that the person is the product of their environment. Say you are one of those people that were sexually assualted when you were a child (Catholic Church anyone?). How f´d up will you be by this? Do you understand the psychological tolls this has on someone? Is is their fault for not knowing right from wrong because of some abuse they received as a child screwed them up royally?

EDIT: Furthermore...there are no records of ANY crazy person admitting to a crime that they didn´t commit. That NEVER happens. Did you know you can get just about anyone to admit anything under torture? Just to get it all to stop? Is that a valid admission to a crime? All this does is put peoples mind at ease that someone was punished for a crime. We don´t care if they were innocent...just as long someone was punished.