Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

eBay troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 12:09 PM
Default RE: eBay troubles!

If you have the tracking # call 1-800-742-5877 give them the tracking # and tell them it was damaged in transit and you need the package inspected they will be out the next day or two and the most to inspect the guitar. If infact its damaged the inspector will let you know, then you can verify to paypal it is not damaged with ups docs. I hope this guy doesn't get over on you.

Old 07-07-2007 | 04:24 PM

I tried to file a claim with UPS. Basically, the guy from UPS told me that I'm screwed because the buyer filed a claim with Paypal. UPS guy told me that I can't file a claim with UPS until the claim with Paypal is settled. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get raw-dogged on this one.

Old 07-07-2007 | 04:34 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

why didnt the buyer try and work out the situation with you instead of filing a claim right away and trying to screw you. you couldve had been a reasonable guy and maybe refunded part of his money or some **** tryin to make it right but he never gave you the chance.

Old 07-07-2007 | 04:35 PM

watch out for paypal scams!!!-buyer pays through paypal,sender sends goods,buyer receives goods,calls
paypal and has payment froze-stating product is damaged/not as described-etc-then sender is stuck
with the loss!!-it is major league bullsh*t,make sure this guy is not up to something!!
i am hearing more and more about bullsh*t like this
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...ghlight=paypal

Old 07-08-2007 | 10:45 AM

The guy has like 350 positive feedbacks with only 3 negatives, but I was worried about a scam too. I hope he doesn't try to bait and switch with the exact same guitar model, only one that he had that was damaged. Good thing I've got the serial number recorded...
The guy is being a total douche. When he first claimed the guitar was cracked, he just flat out said that I sent it to him that way and that I lied in my auction description about the condition of the guitar. That pissed me off because I'm an honest guy. He demanded a refund immediately, plus the cost of him to ship the guitar back.
Since he was being so rude to me I told him that I wasn't going to do anything until he sent me pictures of the "crack." His next message was, "Well now you have to... check your Paypal account." Bastard had filed a claim!
I have a feeling I'm going to be out my $$$ and get back a cracked guitar.

Old 07-08-2007 | 12:16 PM

UPS should not have anything to do with paypal claims. you have the ability to try and come to a resolution with the dispute with the buyer first. how did UPS know there was a dispute filed with paypal?

Old 07-08-2007 | 02:33 PM
Retired Moderator

Having owned an authorized ups shipping store in the past and having done hundreds and hundreds of claims all I can tell you is don't give up so easily based on what one clerk at the store tells you. You need to file a claim immediately (timing is crucial because they need to make sure homeboy on the other end still has all packing materials) and FOLLOW UP. They're very good at paying but are like most insurance companies in that if they can get away with not paying .. they will. But if you have a legitimate claim, and if you placed a $300 declared value, and you had them package it, they should be able to easily tell by the packaging if the damage was caused by them.

Go through the claims process and stay on it. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2007 | 12:35 AM

UPS got the buyer's phone number from me. They had to call him to set up an appointment to inspect the packaging... when he talked to UPS he told them about the paypal claim. He has told me that the packing was in perfect condition and that there is no way the crack is from UPS mishandling the package.
So, one of3 possible things happened: 1) after I left the UPS store, the kid was playing around with the guitar and cracked it.
2) The guitar was exposed to fluctuating temperatures on a truck, in a warehouse etc, causing the wood to expand, contract, and ultimately crack.
3) buyer is trying to scam me

If #2 is true, could UPS still be liable?

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:23 AM
Retired Moderator

Any scenario we come up with is just pure speculation and none of the above are provable. If you're honest with UPS and you know 100% there was no crack when you shipped it (too bad you didn't take a pic at the store while packing), then paypal has nothing to do with it; their responsibility is with the shipper (you) not the recipient, to deliver it in same condition as you gave it to them or they pay up to amount of declared value (based on what they determine true worth to be), and since they packaged it that takes any packaging deficiencies out of the equation. HOWEVER, from your post it sounds like UPS delivered it undamaged.

I would put much more weight on what UPS tells you versus what the goober on the other end says. My guess would be that it is a mixture of two things (but this is pure speculation); he got the item in perfect condition, he then cracked it by accident soon after (or during) unpacking and decided he doesn't want to pay and then decided "heck, I'll get paypal to give me my money back AND I'll keep the guitar".

That's pure B.S.; you need to explain to UPS that you neither have the merchandise, nor do you have the money (although that part really has nothing to do with them since you didn't ship C.O.D., but it may garner you some sympathy). Did your paypal dispute ever come of anything? what did paypal say?

Remember this: I've placed many claims and although there were occasions they refused the claim, there were many instances were they said no the first time for one reason or another, said no the second time and then the third time was a charm

One question: Did UPS say the "packaging" was in perfect condition or the "merchandise" was in perfect condition, or both? Did they inspect the guitar to make sure there was really even a crack? If there's a crack and packaging is perfect, I'm betting the scammer did what I said above.

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:25 AM
Retired Moderator

p.s. since that guy froze paypal payment, did he say he's shipping it back?

Quick Reply: eBay troubles!