Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

DSL help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSL help

I'm only running 256 for my DSL speed (both ways), and we can't get on to Xbox live. I have a few options. Maybe you guys with experience in the online gaming arena can help me. I can run the following: 256 (upstream) by640 (downstream), 896 by 1.5 meg, or 896 by 5 meg. The obvious answer is to get the fastest, but I don't want to spend a miilion bucks for internet speed. What do you guys think?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Default RE: DSL help

i dont have a xbox but i know a little about internet. are u on a router? have u tried connecting the modem to the xbox directly to see if it works. just modem stight to xbox. if u have a router u may have to set up your router.

ps. it does not matter what speed you internet is. that just tells u how fast you gameplay ganna be(ping)

Old 04-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

I think you got your numbers backwards, homie. Should be around 3MB upstream and around 512kb (max) downstream policies. That's pretty standard anyway for broadband, coaxial-based service. Now if you live in an area that has fiber optics in place for internet providers, you could be looking at somewhere around 10MB's up, and around 1MB down.

In your case, I would ditch the DSL. It's crap for gaming and my guess is you're timing out on any room or game you're trying to join. So it's just kicking you out automatically. Get cable broadband... you'll love yourself for it.

Also, a router isn't going to make a huge difference, and in actuality, so long as you have a decent connection speed and updated firmware - you shouldn't ever have a problem.

And yes... connection speed is a HUGE factor in gaming there, Gordon-boy. If you're pinging above 125 or so, most servers won't even let you connect. You'll be lagging entirely too much and other players would kick you out anyway. You ever try to play against someone who is overseas, pinging around 300b/s ? Yeah, it's pretty pointless.

If you're playing a multiplayer online game, do yourself, and other players a favor... don't come to the party without a nice connection speed!

Oh and connecting directly through the modem will do, in a nutshell, **** for helping you. You're gonna have to drop some cash, Vodoo - sorry bro!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

P.S. If those are your only options... I would highly recommend the 5MB policy with your local ISP. If you get the 1.5MB policy, you're gonna be surfing at a consitent speed of around 1MB depending on amount of customers in your area.

That's the only downfall about cable broadband - your speeds are more or less consitent depending on customers in your node. Whereas DSL is always at it's max speed, though that max speed is much slower than cable broadband.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM

whoops

Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM

i know a great deal about dsl itself and how it works, though not computers, so i'll leave a little info.

asymetrical dsl which is offered to residential customers is more heavily focused on the downstream speed. as far as we go (at&t) 80% of our customers are within 10,000 feet of either their central office, or a dsl access multiplexer. all of those customers within that 80% are within the distance tolerances for 6 meg service, with a substantial portion within 5000 feet being within limits for 12 meg, but are capable of 24 meg service (for future voice and tv over ip products). while cable internet can run faster than dsl, the (peak performance being around 30mbps compared to around 24 for dsl) youwont always see a substantial difference in speeds actually offered. in real life everyday performance, speed caps for economic reasons, and customer density in your equipment eliminates the advantage. cable companies usually have crappy customer service, and their techs for the most part are just old cable guys that dont know anymore about high speed internet other than "how to hook it up" (thats per a good buddy who works for *** cable in new orleans, not really my personal opinion cable guys, lol)

Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Hey now! I'm a cable guy! It is a new era in cable services offered by your local provider. The difference is going to be huge in about 5 years when those older cats move into the construction or mainline portion of their cable company. At that point, they are only responsible for ensuring that the signals that reach each nodes respective tap are within FCC specs. It's not an easier job per se, but it's less reliant on thorough knowledge of new technology and various types of customer equipment you'll find inside the home when installing services.

I can guarantee you that every customer I install services for will have the absolute best signal in their house going straight to their modem, then router, then PC. I even go the extra mile for gamers since I'm a gamer myself and make sure they're set up for optimum packet loss for a specific computer as well as any other equipment in their home that relies on up and downstream communications (cable boxes, DVR's, etc.).

There aren't a lot of cable guys like myself, but the ones who are are in my age generation and younger (30 and below), probably because we know how bad it sucks to have connectivity issues when gaming or simply surfing. Us younger guys are more demanding when it comes to services we are paying for. Older folks generally are more tolerant. They will complain to their friends but never think of calling tech support. And we do have killer tech support at NGP Co. Some of you guys at Mammoth Lakes, Flagstaff, Sedona, Lake Havasu, Kingman City, and Bullhead City probably get services from us.

You can't beat local tech support that won't hesitate to roll a truck out to your house and won't leave until you are not only happy, but that you have the best possible signals.

This is my lifeline in the field.

http://www.trilithic.com/broadband_i...system_ii.html

It costs about $9K for just this equipment and it tells me every possible thing I need to know about the integrity of the signal coming into your home. If you have a cable guy come and install cable in your home and he doesn't use one of these he either doesn't knowhow to use it or his company can't afford it. In either case I would say thanks but no thanks to their services.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Hey now! I'm a cable guy! It is a new era in cable services offered by your local provider. The difference is going to be huge in about 5 years when those older cats move into the construction or mainline portion of their cable company. At that point, they are only responsible for ensuring that the signals that reach each nodes respective tap are within FCC specs. It's not an easier job per se, but it's less reliant on thorough knowledge of new technology and various types of customer equipment you'll find inside the home when installing services.

I can guarantee you that every customer I install services for will have the absolute best signal in their house going straight to their modem, then router, then PC. I even go the extra mile for gamers since I'm a gamer myself and make sure they're set up for optimum packet loss for a specific computer as well as any other equipment in their home that relies on up and downstream communications (cable boxes, DVR's, etc.).

There aren't a lot of cable guys like myself, but the ones who are are in my age generation and younger (30 and below), probably because we know how bad it sucks to have connectivity issues when gaming or simply surfing. Us younger guys are more demanding when it comes to services we are paying for. Older folks generally are more tolerant. They will complain to their friends but never think of calling tech support. And we do have killer tech support at NGP Co. Some of you guys at Mammoth Lakes, Flagstaff, Sedona, Lake Havasu, Kingman City, and Bullhead City probably get services from us.

You can't beat local tech support that won't hesitate to roll a truck out to your house and won't leave until you are not only happy, but that you have the best possible signals.

This is my lifeline in the field.

http://www.trilithic.com/broadband_i...system_ii.html

It costs about $9K for just this equipment and it tells me every possible thing I need to know about the integrity of the signal coming into your home. If you have a cable guy come and install cable in your home and he doesn't use one of these he either doesn't knowhow to use it or his company can't afford it. In either case I would say thanks but no thanks to their services.
lol thats the type of tech id want helping me out when something breaks, hell of a guy.

everything is changing for the telephone company as well, the old grandfathered-in telephone men who only know tip and ring are being phased out my the younger, more tech savvy guys such as you and i. while he can measure, locate, and repair a high resistance tip-to ground resistive fault in probably 10 minutes, but he wouldnt know the first thing about anything that doesnt involve a pair of wires that you can see and touch. one thing that you guys are lucky that you dont have to deal with is the amoung of fault locating, measuring, repairing and whatnot that is required with our old copper cables that we still have in rural areas. resistive fault locating can be a bitch when you have to put the hooks to 12 poles for one customer because the cable is older than you are, and there could very well be (and usually is) a track opening at each one, and your pair has a problem inside of every one, blahhhh, lol. ok so its usually not that bad, but you can see im about sick of copper cable out in the boonies, haha.

anyway, heres mine
this sunset is about like yours there, it tells you everything at all (and a thousand things you could care less about) about the dsl signal
http://www.sunrisetelecom.com/mtt/mtthome.shtml

my 965 wil

Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Hey yo KID what cable company you work for? I work for mediacom and Everything he said is true.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
VP

Get a cable modem.... that'll speed it up...

I get 7.3 mbs downloads