Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Drain-O or Liquid Plumber

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drain-O or Liquid Plumber

ORIGINAL: Rubicon on 38s

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

ORIGINAL: bassJAM

I recommend a mixture ofDraino and aluminim foil
lol never mix drain opener with anything! i read a news story where a guy mixed bleach and draino and died fromy cyanide gas posioning.
Its not cyanide, its a chemical reaction of amonia and bleach. The vapor from that mixture can kill you if you're in a small enough space.

no chlorine present as far as i know, but it still produces some noxious fumes and definatly is not good for you.

"The power crystals are simply colored salt, and are the least powerful ingredient. The crystallized lye reacts with fats to form soap. The machined shards of aluminum react with the lye to generate near-boiling temperatures. The sharp shards in the hot churning lye physically cut hair and dislodge deposits. Several chemical reactions take place here: [ol][*]When Drāno is added to water, the sodium hydroxide, sodium nitrate, and sodium chloride dissolve. The heat of solution liberated when sodium hydroxide is dissolved warms the mixture.[*]In solution, sodium hydroxide reacts with aluminum to liberate nascent hydrogen, which is a powerful reducing agent. This reaction is exothermic and the heat can cause the mixture to boil. The formula is 6NaOH + 2Al → 3H2 + 2Na3AlO3.[*]The nascent hydrogen reduces nitrate ion to ammonia, removing the fire and explosion hazard posed by free hydrogen gas. The reaction is: 2NO3− + 9H2 → 2NH3 + 6H2O. The water and sodium ions then regenerate sodium hydroxide and nascent hydrogen."[/ol]-wikipedia

I think he was referring to a "draino bomb" in which you pour draino into a soda bottle contain water and alum. foil then screw the cap on very quikly and throw, the expanding gasses make it explode, kinda fun, but draino isnt cheap (i think my friends always stole it). use cold water in the summer and hot water in the winter, hot water in the summer = goes off in your hand. cold water in winter = never goes off.

don't try this at home, don't kill your self, don't sue me, yadda yadda yadda

Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM

I hate both drano and liquid plumber. I would just call a plumber if I couldnt snake it out myself.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET!!
Chemistryon cbrforum.
You guys are the best!!

btw
Gville, did you spill some 2NO3− + 9H2 → 2NH3 + 6H2O on your bike?
It left a nasty black mark.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM

no, thats my direct exhaust injection unit, it gives me mad horse power.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Gville George

no, thats my direct exhaust injection unit, it gives me mad horse power.

PFFFHAHAHAHA! Great! I knew that idea was a good one.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kodiak1122

SWEET!!
Chemistryon cbrforum.
You guys are the best!!

btw
Gville, did you spill some 2NO3− + 9H2 → 2NH3 + 6H2O on your bike?
It left a nasty black mark.
what a poindexter ...lol jk bro

Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Gville George

ORIGINAL: Rubicon on 38s

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

ORIGINAL: bassJAM

I recommend a mixture ofDraino and aluminim foil
lol never mix drain opener with anything! i read a news story where a guy mixed bleach and draino and died fromy cyanide gas posioning.
Its not cyanide, its a chemical reaction of amonia and bleach. The vapor from that mixture can kill you if you're in a small enough space.

no chlorine present as far as i know, but it still produces some noxious fumes and definatly is not good for you.

"The power crystals are simply colored salt, and are the least powerful ingredient. The crystallized lye reacts with fats to form soap. The machined shards of aluminum react with the lye to generate near-boiling temperatures. The sharp shards in the hot churning lye physically cut hair and dislodge deposits. Several chemical reactions take place here:
[ol][*]When Drāno is added to water, the sodium hydroxide, sodium nitrate, and sodium chloride dissolve. The heat of solution liberated when sodium hydroxide is dissolved warms the mixture.[*]In solution, sodium hydroxide reacts with aluminum to liberate nascent hydrogen, which is a powerful reducing agent. This reaction is exothermic and the heat can cause the mixture to boil. The formula is 6NaOH + 2Al → 3H2 + 2Na3AlO3.[*]The nascent hydrogen reduces nitrate ion to ammonia, removing the fire and explosion hazard posed by free hydrogen gas. The reaction is: 2NO3− + 9H2 → 2NH3 + 6H2O. The water and sodium ions then regenerate sodium hydroxide and nascent hydrogen."[/ol]
-wikipedia

I think he was referring to a "draino bomb" in which you pour draino into a soda bottle contain water and alum. foil then screw the cap on very quikly and throw, the expanding gasses make it explode, kinda fun, but draino isnt cheap (i think my friends always stole it). use cold water in the summer and hot water in the winter, hot water in the summer = goes off in your hand. cold water in winter = never goes off.

don't try this at home, don't kill your self, don't sue me, yadda yadda yadda

I'm glad someone understood what I meant.

His question just brought back memories of the fun I had in highschool waking fellow students up at3 in the morning with what sounded like a shotgun going off in their front yard.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So should I get the gel and shred some foil in there?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Put this chemistry to some use (i.e. fun)...

Instead of L.D., use "The Works". Place foil ***** into an empty 2-liter soda bottle and add "The Works", then run.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/661151...ks_bomb_watch/

Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Onarom

Put this chemistry to some use (i.e. fun)...

Instead of L.D., use "The Works". Place foil ***** into an empty 2-liter soda bottle and add "The Works", then run.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/661151...ks_bomb_watch/
That's actually what my friends and I used. We did extensive testing trying to see what worked the best:

(1) 20 soda bottle (uses less cleaner than 2 liter, and is just as loud)
(5) 1/2 inch diameter ***** of foil
fill bottom of bottle about 1 to 1 1/2 inches with "The Works", drop in foil *****, and place bottle where ever you want. If I remember correctly it gave us about 45 seconds to find a place to hide and watch before it went off.

Sorry to end up highjacking your thread. Typically my whenever we have a clog we use a snake to push/pull it out. It seems that the liquid type are hit or miss, depending on the severity (and materials)of the clog.

Quick Reply: Drain-O or Liquid Plumber