Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you ride with the traffic of go through it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splitting the lanes anywhere... with cali traffic you don't get anywhere if don't, and I don't feel safe riding among the cars.

Just want to share my thoughts and see if you guys have thought the same.

Drivers hate riders... have no clue why, but they do. Also I tend to brake very softly (before stop signs\lights) and drivers behind me get super impatient and change lane + go faster. He\she\it pulls to the light faster, yea... but what is the point??? We wait for some time and then I'm gone.
Trucks trying to race me... what's going on with this world???

Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM

I generally just cruise along unless I run up on a gaggle of cars doing stupid, slow, drunk like maneuvers, then I WFO, and start cutting through traffic until I find a nice place to cruise again.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2H company
Splitting the lanes anywhere... with cali traffic you don't get anywhere if don't, and I don't feel safe riding among the cars.

Just want to share my thoughts and see if you guys have thought the same.

Drivers hate riders... have no clue why, but they do. Also I tend to brake very softly (before stop signs\lights) and drivers behind me get super impatient and change lane + go faster. He\she\it pulls to the light faster, yea... but what is the point??? We wait for some time and then I'm gone.
Trucks trying to race me... what's going on with this world???

Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by HAVOC
^^^ jhouse, ive had people open doors,throw stuff, curse and yell, cut off and generally just **** with me while out riding.. wether its because they're jealous or scared or because some other biker messed with them b4 now they're looking for payback idk but as long as you ride safe and always look ahead and learn to read the situation you'll be fine
Here in the UK filtering is legal if done in a safe manner. Sadly some drivers dont know this.

Today on the way home through the city (5pm, overcast). I filtered upto the lights and im sitting in the middle of two lanes of traffic. The lane to my left goes straight ahead or right and the one on the right goes right. Now the car to my left was going straight on and the guy to my right was indicating right. Now usually if youre in the right lane when you turn you'll still be in the right lane.

When the lights changed I shot off as I usually do to get ahead of the traffic. The guy in the car going right does the same, he must of been gunning it. Anyway im turning keeping an eye on the guy and hes next to me and pulling into my lane! He was well over half way into my lane before he decides to go back to the right line and powers ahead. I couldnt do much as there was a clio 2 car lenths infront of me and cars fast approaching from behind.

I caught up with him in traffic and in blind rage I punched his passenger window. Nothing hard, just hard enough to get the message across. Id of stayed longer and had a chat but I was holding up traffic.

2nd time this week ive nearly been flattened while filtering.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Here's the final answer regarding legality. Havoc, looks liek CA is the only state that explicitly says lane splitting can be done legally:

Lane splitting occurs when a motorcycle (or bike) drives between two lanes of stopped or slowly moving cars, usually in traffic jams. If an accident occurs while a motorcycle is lane splitting, whether the motorcycle or car is at fault depends on whether lane splitting is permissible in that state, the views of the police officer and judge on lane splitting, and the actions of both the motorist and motorcyclist prior to the accident.
Is Lane Splitting Legal?

While most states do not recognize lane splitting as a legal maneuver, they also do not specifically prohibit it. However, police and the courts often interpret lane splitting as unlawful. One state, California, does specifically permit lane splitting, but only if it is done in a "safe and prudent" manner. Of course, the definition of "safe and prudent" is very much up to interpretation by police officers and judges.
Accidents While Lane Splitting: Who is Liable?

Lane splitting is prime fodder for accidents due to the close proximity of the cars to the motorcycle, the reduced space to maneuver, and the fact that the cars don't anticipate that a vehicle will be passing them in slowed or stopped traffic.

If an accident happens while a motorcycle is lane splitting, there's a good chance that fault for the accident will be attributed to the motorcycle rider. If the insurance adjuster or court finds that the motorcyclist's carelessness was a substantial cause of the accident, the rider is out of luck when it comes to recovering However, if the motorcycle rider can show that the other driver (presumably of a car or truck) contributed to the accident, the rider may be partially or fully compensated for her injuries and property damage. This may occur if the car that hit them was changing lanes or weaving, or if the driver was talking on the phone or otherwise not paying attention.
The following factors may help prove this claim:
  • The motorcyclist was riding carefully -- not speeding or weaving in and out of lanes or between cars.
  • The motorcyclist is an experienced rider.
  • The motorcyclist has completed a motorcycle riding or safety course.
  • The other driver did something even more dangerous than lane splitting -- for example, making an abrupt lane change without signaling, or drifting from one lane into another.
If possible, support your version of the accident with a police report and witness statements.
Lane Splitting Safety

If you are going to lane split, be sure it's not prohibited in your state and then make sure you do it in a safe manner. This is your best defense against accidents. And if you do get in an accident, evidence of your safe riding behavior will make it more likely that your insurance carrier, or a judge, will find that you were not at fault for the accident.
To increase your safety while lane splitting, do the following:
  • Always be alert and aware of the cars around you.
  • Ride with your headlights on and wear reflective clothing.
  • Enter the area where you plan to lane split cautiously -- wait until both lanes of cars have slowed to the same speed. If one lane is moving faster, cars are more likely to suddenly switch lanes -- and may hit you in the process.
  • Be extra cautious when traveling in a car's blind spot.
  • Drive at a speed slightly faster than the flow of traffic. Don't zoom by stopped or slowly moving cars.
  • Look for signs that a car may be changing lanes, such as the driver looking into the rearview or sideview mirrors.
  • Honk if the cars get too close together. Wait until the distance is safe to pass between them.
  • When traffic speeds up to about 30 mph, get back into the lane.
Copyright 2008 Nolo

Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

here in sacramento you show up to traffic court , enter a plea (guilty,non guilty, no contest or guilty with reason) depending on your plea you talk with the DA. you work out a deal with him/her in the back room and go back before the comissioner who decides if he/she chooses to accept the offer the da has presented. you also have the right to take it (if you wish) to trial . thats the only time the cop will show up and tell his/her side of the story. so basically if you get a ticket for an accident and they deemed you at fault you show up there and you have to convience the da otherwise.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 PM

Exactly the same here in IL, except you don't even get a back room. You just walk 15 ft away from the bench.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Johnnyx

Originally Posted by johnnyx
What's the exact law or statute title for that? I do it here constantly, and would like to know if I'm actually breaking the law or not.

Please tell me you are from the burbs and not from in town. I drive thru that God for saken city 3 times a week. I do not know why I hold CBR riders to a higher standard but I do. Sixxer's I expect it from.

I was going to ask you this weekend if you split two semi's downtown wed. Really a BAD move, we were doing atleast 65 and the CBR which I hope wasn't you had to be doing 85-90. As you know there is no defensive driving in that city, its all offensive. That rider it just glad I checked my mirrors.

There are enough idiots on the road that riders should not split lanes while others are moving the speed limit (or a smidge over). I can understand sholder riding leave the split lanes for the west coast.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Preid
Here in the UK filtering is legal if done in a safe manner. Sadly some drivers dont know this.

Today on the way home through the city (5pm, overcast). I filtered upto the lights and im sitting in the middle of two lanes of traffic. The lane to my left goes straight ahead or right and the one on the right goes right. Now the car to my left was going straight on and the guy to my right was indicating right. Now usually if youre in the right lane when you turn you'll still be in the right lane.

When the lights changed I shot off as I usually do to get ahead of the traffic. The guy in the car going right does the same, he must of been gunning it. Anyway im turning keeping an eye on the guy and hes next to me and pulling into my lane! He was well over half way into my lane before he decides to go back to the right line and powers ahead. I couldnt do much as there was a clio 2 car lenths infront of me and cars fast approaching from behind.

I caught up with him in traffic and in blind rage I punched his passenger window. Nothing hard, just hard enough to get the message across. Id of stayed longer and had a chat but I was holding up traffic.

2nd time this week ive nearly been flattened while filtering.
Preid , you're always gonna get a55holes like that , they're jealous 'cos we can cut to the front of the cue at lights . Even though we wont get in their way like a car would , they still hate the fact we can pass them .

Yeah Steve , I filter through slow moving traffic but once it speeds up I go with the flow 'till the next set of lights and if there's room I'll filter to the front again . You get a lot of a55holes though , will make sure there's no space for a bike by straddling two lanes

Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by HAVOC
did i mention its legal haha
If only Nevada was like that

Quick Reply: Do you ride with the traffic of go through it?