Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you ride with the traffic of go through it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ jhouse, ive had people open doors,throw stuff, curse and yell, cut off and generally just **** with me while out riding.. wether its because they're jealous or scared or because some other biker messed with them b4 now they're looking for payback idk but as long as you ride safe and always look ahead and learn to read the situation you'll be fine

Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM

I clarified my previous post, plus it's now more entertaining and informative.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 AM

There is no law in VA that say it's illegal to lane split per say, but we do have a law that says you can't share a lane so that is what they will get you for.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by HAVOC
^^^ jhouse, ive had people open doors,throw stuff, curse and yell, cut off and generally just **** with me while out riding.. wether its because they're jealous or scared or because some other biker messed with them b4 now they're looking for payback idk but as long as you ride safe and always look ahead and learn to read the situation you'll be fine

+1 to everything. Chicago drivers HATE bikers; even when we're not doing anything out of the ordinary. I had some kid stand out of a sunroof and throw a fountain drink at my buddy's tire while we were in a tight twisty. We saw the kid coming out and looking mischievious, so we both instinctively slowed down and striaghtend the bikes up and everything was alright. There was a cop running a speed trap about a half block down, who pulled the kids over, so we stopped too and informed the cop of what happened and showed him the pop splattered bike. Turns out the cop rides too (most do out here), and he wrote the kids like 6 tickets for various BS equipment violations.

Also had a driver PURPOSELY merge into our lane and try to run the head of our pack into the shoulder for trying to legally pass him. The leader pulls up to him at the next light, and flat out kicks the cars mirror off, and the car blew through the light and took off. I laughed for days. . .

Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 AM

its legal to split traffic here in cali and i take full advantage of it every chance i get freeway traffic lights backed up traffic all gets passed and did i mention its legal haha

What's the exact law or statute title for that? I do it here constantly, and would like to know if I'm actually breaking the law or not.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM

i have always felt it better to be constantly moving past traffic, #1 matching speed with cages will give them an oportunity hit you,cut you off. #2 if your steadily passing , your out of thier way before they can get you. #3 as for splitting cars, this is a fools game, its amatter of time before somthin bad happens(although i have done it). please keep in mind, im not sayin go 90 thru traffic, but i am sayin to keep moving forward. As most of you know a safe biker is a defensive biker, always treat every thing as if it is trying to kill you. that car a block ahead IS going to pull out! that thinking will make you have a plan a split second ahead of those who dont. Good advice handed to me years ago... i use it often...ride safe...peace

Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with most of you. I'm always moving ahead, but as far as lane splitting, I don't make a habit of it.
I've been run off the road in my car before from people quickly changing lanes and thinking it's clear. On a bike would've been bad news.

Stopped in traffic is a little different, and maybe if I lived somewhere where it was stopped up all the time, I'd do it more.
I completely understand the idea of feeling like you're waiting to be squished, though. Especially sitting at lights with nobody behind you. I always flash my brake light, and I've had several people still almost rear-end me.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

Originally Posted by johnnyx
What's the exact law or statute title for that? I do it here constantly, and would like to know if I'm actually breaking the law or not.
technically it states that traffic must be moving under 40mph and you can only split traffic when its safe to do so. so lets say your splitting lanes @ 10mph (red light..etc) and some idiot decides to cut over without looking.. you could possibly be ticketed because apparently it wasnt a safe time for you to be lane splitting (i was given that exact scenario by a chp officer while having lunch with him @ a togo's)

ive lane split @ a red light and pulled up next to a cop and i take off like normal and 0 problems, on the freeway lane splitting it wayy more dangerous but i do it more to pass then "making my own lane"

Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to ride with traffic, but I'll more then gladly go right through if there's a pile up/jam of some sort.

And I hate cars who throw crap out the window when they see you coming, I got a whole bag of McDonald's refuse thrown at me once. I slammed on my breaks hard (fish tailed) and got off my bike. The idiot was rolling up his window quick when he saw that I was coming over to him.

I was ready to punch the guy in the face, but all I could do was tap on the window and ask him to come outside and try it again. He just looked straight ahead. I did kick a dent in his door. (Not too big, but enough to cost him.) Worst part is, I felt bad for doing it.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:32 PM

technically it states that traffic must be moving under 40mph and you can only split traffic when its safe to do so.
This is how it works. The finder of fact (jury or judge) gets to decide whether what you did was safe under the circumstances.

The cop first makes a judgment that he thinks what you did wasn't safe. He probably won't remember the incident when it comes to trial so he will write notes on the back of his copy of the ticket. He will make a case against you right there in writing. When he comes to trial, he will review his notes and then tell his version of the complete story. Since he can't really remember the incident, he will tend to embellish in his favor, often truly believing it is a memory, because he is picturing it in his head.

You will do the same thing (embellishing) and you will have been thinking about it in detail for a long time. Then the jury decides which side's embellishment is closer to the truth. Were you acting safe or not. It's just that general.

On the other hand, the cop may just write the ticket and fully expect that, as 99.% do, you will just pay it, or pay it and take Defensive Driving, or pay it and get deferred adjudication. In which case, his job is done.

Last edited by JHouse; 09-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you ride with the traffic of go through it?