CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Do you hail fellow riders? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/do-you-hail-fellow-riders-139319/)

Mattson 06-16-2012 05:29 AM

Do you hail fellow riders?

Just wanted to know is this a common habit around the world, or just a Finnish thing. Specially like minded riders (cruisers, crotch rockets, choppers etc.) tend to hail each other on the road round here, and I was wondering if this is done elsewhere too. This sometimes, for example today when the summer is giving it's best and most of the bikes are out there, results in me having to ride one handed half the time...

sjona2011 06-16-2012 05:43 AM

thats common here in the US too.
not sure about other parts of the country, but around where i live, most people riding cruisers(mainly harleys) wont acknowledge you if youre on a sport bike. ticks me off sometimes, but i dont let it get to me.

Ultimeas 06-16-2012 06:18 AM

Harleys will almost never hail me. Sport bike riders will almost ALWAYS hail me. I always feel bad if im have my clutch in for any reason, someone puts there fingers down and I just nod, but they don't see me nod :(.

pepperman 06-16-2012 06:33 AM

Mostly nodding here in Australia with the cruiser/Harley riders totally ignoring the sports bike riders. I have this one guy I regularly pass going home from work in the opposite direction on what looks like a GSXF 600/750 that always nodded back. Well, he hasn't acknowlaged me since I passed one day on the back wheel. I did notice his "you idiot" shaking of the head. That was roughly 8 months ago. Judgmental mo fo. I still nod to him every time I see him though cause it's a bit of a habit.

kiwi TK 06-16-2012 07:15 AM

Yeah, always do it here it here in NZ.

But the Harley guys are always so busy just trying to keep their bikes on the black stuff that they never have time to acknowledge.

Skinnaird 06-16-2012 07:46 AM

Quite common here in Canada, as well. I'd guess maybe 1% don't.

Kuroshio 06-16-2012 08:04 AM

Squids don't, Riders do.

Riders hail each other and it's not bike dependent. I was riding up to Jersey and got plenty of waves from guys. Sport bikes, Goldwings, Harleys.. didn't matter.

Only the Squids are too focused on trying to look cool to acknowledge a Rider :)

MadHattr059 06-16-2012 08:09 AM

+1 to Kuro. Same here in Tulsa.
I do have to remind my wife that's her job when were 2-up, though. ;-)

Ern

NewSense45 06-16-2012 08:39 AM

Down here in NC acknowledgments round and round, doesnt matter the type of bike. I even have curtesy enough to acknowledge my lil scooter buddies :) Were all out here to enjoy the weather and ride, this aint not gang, and I aint flying any colors so, who cares, Its one of the reasons I wanted to ride, the automatic sense of family

RobertT800 06-16-2012 09:54 AM

I always do and normally get one back even when i was on my L plate NSR :D Its a nod over here in the Uk though

That Guy in Maine 06-16-2012 10:15 AM

I've always wondered...around here (in the US) it seems that everybody uses their left hand to acknowledge other riders...so what do riders do in countries where the lanes are switched direction wise? The "inside" hand switches to the throttle/brake and and I assume riders don't let go of the controls on that side.

Is it just a nod?

Kevwa451 06-16-2012 11:14 AM

I wave to everyone, even while cornering somewhat aggressively. I get weird looks for that one when I'm in a right handed lean and they see my left hand go out. I've also had a few guys just raise their fist up above their heads, I do that every now and then too and that sometimes tricks people out, it's pretty funny. One guy I did that to had his hand out before me and I raised my fist and he quickly tried to bring his hand up to match mine haha. But yeah I'd say 90% of the time I get a wave back. Lately it's been the lead rider in a group of cruisers wont wave but almost all the rest will.

Kuroshio 06-16-2012 11:31 AM

Seriously, its a Squid vs Rider thing. Same way if I'm riding or driving and see someone stopped it an odd location, I pull over and see if they need help.

I get some seriously strange looks when that happens. But so far I've given directions a handful of times. And a woman on a F3 got my spare master fuse. Her bike had no power at key on and a group of guys standing round scratching their heads. She was back on the road in 5 minutes

Oh yeah, just remembered. Got a mild burn when I stopped to help a guy pick up his wife's Harley. She dropped it on a hill while they were stopped at a light

74demon 06-16-2012 12:56 PM

I wave to everyone as well. If they're on two wheels, we are on the same team against the cars. The harley guys wave back about half of the time, but never initiate it. But, when I'm on the harley, they all wave. It's kinda funny. If they only knew that I ride a sportbike most of the time.... Sportbike guys wave to everyone for the most part, and signal about an upcoming "road" condition, which is good to know about ahead of time.

gpgold 06-16-2012 01:04 PM

Yep, here in South Africa the riders usually greet each other with a nod. This generally happens with the sport bike riders. Guys on Harleys and adventure bikes almost never greet.

zaqwert6 06-16-2012 01:33 PM

I wave anyone who looks like they'll wave back...... well not scooters. ;)

Reminds of a story someone told once...

He rode Harley's for years and was bummed that only Harley's would wave, never the sportbikes. Then later on in life he got into sportbikes and sport tourers and now the same Harley riders stopped waving to him and only the sportbike guys. On a whim he thought it would be cool to try a Buel, best of both worlds. Now he says NO ONE waves to him. He's like IM STILL THE SAME GUY!

74demon 06-16-2012 01:36 PM

We need a official CBRF wave. See who waves it back, then you'll know its a fellow member....

raylee 06-16-2012 06:18 PM

Gotten plenty of rider salutes while moving and nods at lights here in the US... regardless of what kind of machine. In Korea, we bow since it's more traditional to bow than wave. It kinda has a safety factor since you keep both hands on the bars as well and can give a little salute as you're carving through a corner.

RobertT800 06-17-2012 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine (Post 1169702)
I've always wondered...around here (in the US) it seems that everybody uses their left hand to acknowledge other riders...so what do riders do in countries where the lanes are switched direction wise? The "inside" hand switches to the throttle/brake and and I assume riders don't let go of the controls on that side.

Is it just a nod?

not always but 90% of the time yea. a few wave but its just easier for a little tilt to the right or left i supose it depends on speed ect.

kilgoretrout 06-17-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
I've also had a few guys just raise their fist up above their heads

Ha! Love the BAMF fist. First time I got one was from another guy riding his dual sport in the winter in sub-zero temps. :D

I still give Harley guys the "circle below the waist" wave. I bet a few of them have gotten a chuckle from it. Bunch of ball -gazers. :D

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...xw8EF5HDAAlLL4

Hojen77 06-17-2012 12:12 PM

Same here, Harley and most often choppers etc never hails. I tend to let
them hail if they want to and I'll hail back, if not well that's alright by me.

Speaking of squids, this is quite telling :icon_mrgreen:

Squid
A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

TimBucTwo 06-18-2012 05:54 PM

Not to the non-leaners, I turn my head in discus.

estate4life 06-18-2012 06:03 PM

So how should CBRF members hail? Let's start our signature salute...next time out.

Sebastionbear1 06-18-2012 06:22 PM

I always wave or nod to all 'bike' riders, and usually get a response. But mobile stationary motors (Harleys or Yamaharleys) never respond so gave up trying 20 years ago! Lately there has been a shift with a few of the larger scooters venturing into the country and I'm conflicted. My internal response is "get a real bike" but I feel that is a little snobby after being totally humbled through some twisties in Turkey by a guy on a Burgmann 600 scooter a couple of years ago!!:icon_dunce:

Cheers, SB

armyjeffries 06-19-2012 07:18 AM

I usually wave to everyone, and get a wave back most of the time. Even Harleys. Although, as other have mentioned, I usually have to start the wave to get one from a Harley.

Man, Harleys get NO love here. I realize this is a sportbike forum, but geez. No wonder Harleys/ sportbikes are rivals. Seems most everyone has the "rival" mentality. Granted most of it is (hopefully) just having fun.

My dad rides a Street Glide, and my brother just got an Iron 883. After riding each of those, I can see the appeal. Probably because of my riding style, which is go slow and have fun. I'm not really an aggresive rider (although my chicken strips may say differently) so having a comfy bike that still looks cool may be up my alley soon.

Sebastionbear1 06-19-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by armyjeffries (Post 1170427)
Man, Harleys get NO love here.

They started it.............:icon_slap2: :D:D

:icon_hide:

armyjeffries 06-19-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear (Post 1170437)
They started it.............:icon_slap2: :D:D

:icon_hide:

Lol, no need for hiding. I'm not a :icon_flamethrow: nor do I get my feelings hurt on online forums.

Let's just say I'd rather ride a Harley than a Gixxxxxxxxer!

:icon_shrug:

newb craig 06-19-2012 09:04 AM

Usually a nod here in the UK also.

I rode past the olympic torch convoy the other day and even got a bunch from the Bike Cops as they went in the opposite direction.

I'd say maybe 50 or 60% will nod back during the week, but seems to be more on the weekend. I guess those who are only using the bike to commute aren't as bothered.

estate4life 06-19-2012 12:47 PM

I hail to ALL riders, scooters, bicycles....etc....I even have a special glove just to hail Gloves is black/purple.....with the index & middle finger being Flouresant Yellow....so i have to be careful which finger I give.....usually I give two...backward peace sign.

Sebastionbear1 06-19-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by newb craig (Post 1170451)
I rode past the olympic torch convoy the other day and even got a bunch from the Bike Cops as they went in the opposite direction.

Motorcycle cops here in South Australia are - in the most part - friendly enough to nod. Even though during a "first fine day in Spring" operation where they stop all motorcyclists in the Hills for a license/registration check, I had one whippersnapper noob Cop ask me if I was having a mid-life crisis!

I was in full leathers on my TL1000s.

R1der02 06-19-2012 11:38 PM

Yeah like newsense said most all bikers here in NC hail all other bikers but back in chicago where i used to live only like riders hailed eachother, well i should say the harley riders were the ones that were too good to hail anybody, i've thought about flicking them off cuz i dont understand it but i guess im too nice haha.

daniels 06-21-2012 10:07 AM

Here in the mitten just about everybody waves. It can get a little annoying on those first nice riding days of spring when everyone and there brother is out riding. Seems like I can't keep my left hand on the handlebars. I usually always wave or nod unless its a scooter. Cuz you know, that's not a REAL bike lol