Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Did you know a boiled egg could explode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup the principles of microwave energy cause the particles to excite in the object. This movement causes heat from the inside out. The yolk heats faster than the white of the egg. Pressure is formed and explosion occurs. The fact that the egg was several days old prob helped out, the white becomes stronger and more rubbery.( I have chickens that provide fresh eggs and when I boil eggs I wait a day or two to peel them or it just becomes a mess)

Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I've never actually seen it happen with an already boiled and peeled egg, but I've heard of it happening before. Dangerous for sure.

Eggs IN the shell are even worse. I took a regular uncooked egg, put it in a glass bowl, and wrapped saran wrap around it about 10 times and put it in the microwave for 10mins.
It exploded the bowl, shredded the saran wrap, and blew the door half off the microwave. It was pretty much awesome.
Cant stop laughing at this... gotta try it. If the wifes gets pissed i'm blaming you trout.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant stop laughing at this... gotta try it. If the wifes gets pissed i'm blaming you trout.
HA! Just make sure you don't take it out of the microwave and roll it around in the bowl and say "Why didn't it explode yet?"
Because as soon as you do... you're gonna be sorry. lol..

Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Looks like I have an experiment to try tonight. If I have any eggs.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:57 PM

haha.....lmao
...sorry im not laughing at your incident, just reminded me of the time when i was microwaving a hard boiled egg(without egg shell)...and it exploded in the microwave.
Left a huge freaking mess...had one of those.... WTF moments.
Then laughed.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Yep, sounds like it. My upper lip is still messed up. There ended up being a slight bruise and I can see the skin starting to peel. Propblem is it looks like it's going to be quite a while before the skin peels fully. Now I find myself constantly licking my lip because the pelling num thing is very annoying.

Will try some chipstick tomorrow. At work now so no time to run out and get it. I know this can be funny, my wife laughed so hard after she knew I was ok but please anybody with kids, young or teenagers please warn them. A toddler, or any kid could have been hurt badly for sure.

I keep having flash backs of the incident lol. Wish it was recorded, could have won 10k on Americas Funniest Videos!

Originally Posted by Monkeh
THIS is probably what happened.
Glad you're reasonably ok dude