Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Did you know a boiled egg could explode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know a boiled egg could explode?

As I type this I was just holding ice to my top lip and my ears are still ringing! I went down to the kitchen to grab a snack, didn't feel like fixing anything so I grabbed a boiled egg that was in the fridge. I peeled it and placed it in the microwave for only like 20 secs or so I think. It was wrapped in a paper towel. I felt it to see if it was warm enough, it wasn't overly hot, just felt warm. I started to bite it and it exploded like some kind of gunshot! People please beleive me when I say my lip is pounding and hurt enough for me to have to get ice for it. My ears are ringing and I instantly have a headache.

Thank God. THANK YOU! It didn't explode while I was holdng it up closer or higher to my eyes when I was looking to see if steam was coming off it. I just had looked at it seconds before. I wish you could know just how loud it was, not sure if it's because it was partly in my mouth it seemed louder or because your mouth is not that far from your ears but it was so loud it scared me after I instantly felt the pain.

I'm going to tell my children in the morning never to microwave boiled eggs because this could hurt a child or adult with ease. I really thought when I looked in the mirror I was going to see my lip split open or bruised or something but it seems like the the swelling is short lived because I can already feel the pain level going down although it still hurts along with my headache and the ringing sensation in my ears.

I heard years ago about people getting burned from boiling water in a cup in a microwave after removing the water and it suddenly out the blew starts to boiled over rapidly when in the microwave prior it was calm.

Thing is I still don't know what happened? Was the egg super cold from being in the fridge a week and reacted somehow at that point in time? Or did my biting it somehow trigger it? What ever, but I am 100% sure this could have been worse.

Please be careful and tell your kids about this if you have them. OMG what if it was a toddler? Please becareful. Going to search for videos online on exploding eggs. Still a chance my lip will be bruised when I wake up.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never actually seen it happen with an already boiled and peeled egg, but I've heard of it happening before. Dangerous for sure.

Eggs IN the shell are even worse. I took a regular uncooked egg, put it in a glass bowl, and wrapped saran wrap around it about 10 times and put it in the microwave for 10mins.
It exploded the bowl, shredded the saran wrap, and blew the door half off the microwave. It was pretty much awesome.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to me some time back. Thirty seconds or so in the microwave, the egg didn't feel hot, but when I bit down it exploded into my mouth and throat. Kind of scary, extremely painful. It took a couple hours of icing my lips and gums before things settled down.

The sound wasn't all that loud, just a pop.

For some reason my family found it hilarious. The wife and kids nearly fell on the floor laughing as I washed my mouth out and then iced my lips and gums.

Why do people find other's pain so funny?

And the boiling water thing - that happened to me once also, but fortunately there were no injuries involved, just a real surprise.

Microwaves can be dangerous.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they can be. Like with hot pockets. They'll burn your face off!
But microwaves are still awesome. I can't stay angry at them for long.
Ever stick a CD in there? It only lasts like 2secs but it looks really cool!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it when ya leave a Hot Dog in there too long .........amazing how big it gets ! lol

almost as big as a ..................

rolling pin

Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 AM

Yours sounds exactly like mine! Don't know what the difference was but my ears were ringing and just now or feeling "closer" to norm again. Headach has eased and is returning to normal. Nobody was awake to see mine. Question is, is this just the heat making this happen? In other words if we would have NOT bitten into it would it have exploded while out of the microwave like that on its own at that point anyway or did the bite somehow trigger it? I have found tons of vids on the tube about exploding eggs but they all are people trying to do them with the shell on. Have not seen any talking about out of the shell explosions like we went through while biting.

Originally Posted by DRam
That happened to me some time back. Thirty seconds or so in the microwave, the egg didn't feel hot, but when I bit down it exploded into my mouth and throat. Kind of scary, extremely painful. It took a couple hours of icing my lips and gums before things settled down.

The sound wasn't all that loud, just a pop.

For some reason my family found it hilarious. The wife and kids nearly fell on the floor laughing as I washed my mouth out and then iced my lips and gums.

Why do people find other's pain so funny?

And the boiling water thing - that happened to me once also, but fortunately there were no injuries involved, just a real surprise.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 AM

You should look up the mythbusters jawbreaker episode from the first or second season. I'm guessing the inside gets hot faster than the outside and then builds pressure and doesn't break until something weakens it a little.

Brb- I have an appt with my microwave- I'll let you know of the outcome if i can still type afterward

Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Ok, I'll search it. I hope you can still type too lol!

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
You should look up the mythbusters jawbreaker episode from the first or second season. I'm guessing the inside gets hot faster than the outside and then builds pressure and doesn't break until something weakens it a little.

Brb- I have an appt with my microwave- I'll let you know of the outcome if I can still type afterward

Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 AM

A little different scenario but the same physics, last year we were at my bro in laws house having a bon fire. My daughter was just at the fire then she came over to me(about 30 ft away) and the fire pit exploded ten feet up and out. He put a square patio stone as a flat base in the fire pit. I think the air pockets inside the stone build up pressure in the fire and bang. It was an impressive explosion for one stone...nobody was hurt so we all had a good laugh.........well I'm off to blow up some eggs!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM

THIS is probably what happened.
Glad you're reasonably ok dude

Quick Reply: Did you know a boiled egg could explode?