Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: did riding come natural?
Yes, The minute i hopped on the bike i knew how to ride it
86.67%
No, i had to take a riding course.
13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Did riding come natural?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
Be sure you are countersteering.
You said it! Once I learned about counter-steering, I can't figure out how I didn't notice the effect before!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wost part was cornering I thought carving from Moto-Gp was how you took turns. Unlearning them was harder. I didnt have a teacher or a class. Everyone thought I was crazy when they followed me. it was hard as $h!t to pass my endorsement, but I passed. WTF do I know. Wish I took the class.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Kind of hard to answer that question for me. I had never rode a motorcycle or a dirtbike or even a quad before I got on my bike. Balance was ok, shifting was ok, but I didn't have the muscle memory to do it all with my hands very well. So I had to learn that.

I took the BRC and it was EXTREMELY helpful to get to learn how to ride. After I took that course I was able to hop on my bike and pretty much just go. It was more learning the ins and outs of shifting with my fingers and not my foot and throttle control while turning and all of that, not so much physically balancing the bike.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Depends where you live, of course, as in my country, you must have completed a 12 hours course 3 month after having your learning license.
Fail to do so, and the license is revoked.
But, you are good to go on your bike the minute you have your plates.

For me, it was just 2 years ago.
My first bike was an Honda Shadow 1985 (750cc), and I was scared as hell.
I remember that the first roundabout, i was mentally screaming "fu**k!" as I saw the sidewalk coming closer and closer.
It was just after a light rain, and I could feel the rear wheel dribbling and slipping on several turns.
Not the best way to get confident...

Things went better and better with time, but having an ex circuit racer taking you to a circuit to exercise emergency breaking, how to correctly break (not all on the rear, when to release the brakes), avoiding a pedestrian that come on the street, turning on a wet road.
He even talked about how to fall to minimize injuries, if you can not prevent falling but still give the bike a general direction...

I felt much more confident, and knew my abilities after that.
I never was a speed freak, but riding an Hurricane today, I'm glad I had those courses.
They already helped me a few time.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it may be the choices on the poll, but there sure are a lot of ppl thats full if shyt!!!!