Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Deserve More

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008 | 08:53 AM
VP
Default RE: Deserve More

Once you hit 18 you are pretty much open to any job there is... the difficult part is there are a lot of people competing for jobs right now, so you really need to learn how to sell yourself. If you can, you get the job.

The key is, get good enough at what you do, to where business competing to HIRE you. The faster you learn the trade, the faster you can master it, once you've done that find a way to make sure everybody knows you're the best at what you do.

Old 09-13-2008 | 09:26 AM
RCR

ORIGINAL: Rod38um

your perception of your work ethic and his differ greatly.
Im with Rod on this one. Most people think if they show up to work and do their job they deserve more, Wrong your boss is paying you to do that job. it is up to you to excell at it and raise in the ranks and raise your pay while doing it. If after two years your still in the same position thats your fault not his.

I own my own company, Starting wage is $9hr for a laborer with the potential of $12hr. The next step is forman that can make up to $22hr. You wouldn't believe how many guys don't make it over $10hr. I let them know to make more money they need to keep advancing in their skills and I will gladley raise their rate. You make me money I will do the same for you.

Old 09-13-2008 | 10:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Soccerprowhetever's far to long - from now on your name's FOOTIE
If you love music go that route, maybe later if all else fails you can start a music shop or get involved with recording, production, mixing etc.
Ask Voodoo (he's a bit of a Muso) he he (called me a bastard last time.....)
bet he hasn't bought that drum set yet.......
REMEMBER FOOTIE - a rut is just a grave with the ends kicked out[X(][X(]
+1000 my OLD mate CBRClassic (G'Day Collingwood)

Old 09-13-2008 | 11:26 AM
Retired Moderator

I would can that job. Get another one first, then return your uniforms with load and urine on them (preferably cat urine). They are stupid if they don't want to pay a good employee. One thing about the fast food biz, is the turn over is rediculous. You should be worth more money because of your dependability alone.

As far as your future, at 19 you can do anything with your life. I hate to sound like a guidence counselor, but pursue what makes you happy. You have plenty of years to get jaded, pissed off at a job you hate to go to, and worn out by a nagging wife and screaming children. Go kick ***, while the *** is good. Good luck with the band...music is the best thing you can do with your life.

Old 09-13-2008 | 01:38 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Red600RR

Find another job bro....and use this as incentive to do well in school and get a real career going. What do you LIKE/WANT to do? Find an entry level job in that field....eventually the money and promotions will follow.

+1 Great advice. People who spend their youth working towards their career goal (whether as an intern or otherwise) have a HUGE step up over their co-workers who have to work years to attain the same level of knowledge and experience. Even if you are mopping floors or whatever, just being around the field you intend to go into gives you insight and networking insider capabilities with key people you would not have otherwise. Take this door opening opportunity that has been afforded to you now.

Old 09-13-2008 | 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

look around, at 19 I was making $12.50 working ina warehouse...
Distribution centers are good places to work. They hire weekend help that works a full day 2x a week (not great hours but enough). Some people I met a couple of weeks back work weekends at the target distribution center and after a year there they tell me that they make $19/hr I don't exactly know what their jobs entail but hell $12-15/hr will earn a lot more than $7 on fewer hours even.

Old 09-13-2008 | 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: RCR

ORIGINAL: Rod38um

your perception of your work ethic and his differ greatly.
Im with Rod on this one. Most people think if they show up to work and do their job they deserve more, Wrong your boss is paying you to do that job. it is up to you to excell at it and raise in the ranks and raise your pay while doing it. If after two years your still in the same position thats your fault not his.

I own my own company, Starting wage is $9hr for a laborer with the potential of $12hr. The next step is forman that can make up to $22hr. You wouldn't believe how many guys don't make it over $10hr. I let them know to make more money they need to keep advancing in their skills and I will gladley raise their rate. You make me money I will do the same for you.
+100000 I too own my own company. Don't worry about a crummy fast food job, walk out that door and find something better. It's not hard since your at the bottom.

Old 09-13-2008 | 08:49 PM

bro , what's wrong with teaching music? You can play in your nand and teach your instrument to kids in your area.

Old 09-13-2008 | 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: TheX

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

look around, at 19 I was making $12.50 working ina warehouse...
I was fixing F-14 Tomcats on carriers and sailing the world. There are always options.
I was flying on to college on a crotch rocket

[&:]

Old 09-14-2008 | 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: oreo

bro , what's wrong with teaching music? You can play in your nand and teach your instrument to kids in your area.
+2

Do a major in music, with a minor in education. That way if the band doesn't take off, you can still teach music (keeping your skills sharp, and keeps you doing something with what you love) while you moonlight playing somwhere else to gain exposure.