CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   (Debate) New vs Old (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/debate-new-vs-old-144347/)

Kuroshio 01-24-2013 06:35 PM

(Debate) New vs Old

Been hearing people suggest new riders / young riders start out on older bikes. I restarted on a 95 CBR F3. But is the advice still truly valid? Do the advantages of buying an older bike outweigh the advantages of a newer bike?

Example, one advantages of an older bike is the purchase cost. Advantage of a new bike is knowing its maintenance history: none cause you haven't started it yet. Another advantage of an older bike is it'll hurt less emotionally (allegedly) if you crash it. Flip side, the rider may be more cautious with a newer bike to keep it cherry.

Something I personally believe is the advancements in technology aid riders a lot. And I'm not just talking about the electronic gizmos that Yolie and Sersi (good name for the HP4?) have. Advances in metallurgy, architecture and components have created bikes that are more nimble and responsive. A direct comparison between Yolie's and Ororo's brakes were almost worlds apart. Yolie stopped so quickly and easily that when I climbed back on Ororo, I flushed the brakes after short ride thinking something was wrong.

So what are your thoughts and why?

That Guy in Maine 01-24-2013 06:40 PM

A lot of new bikes are coming with ABS now as well, which may or may not be a good thing for new riders...I personally opted away from getting it on my 250R and am glad I did.

I own an older bike (94 F2) and one of the big concerns for me when I bought it was that I had no idea what things needed to be adjusted to etc to get it ride ready. I learned of course but I am rather mechanically inclined (Mechanical Engineering student). Not only that but a lot of older bikes come with parts missing, and finding them and installing can sometimes be hard. Then again, I of course lost a chunk of money when I took it off the lot, but I'd say it was worth it to know that everything would work.

Plus, there's nothing like buying a brand new bike ;)

boredandstroked 01-24-2013 06:42 PM

Advice still holds true, although I'd never suggest a carb'd bike to anyone. You say people with a new bike will have more reason to be carefull and not drop them, but usually they don't mean to drop the bike in the 1st place and being carefull doesn't matter when you get into something over your abilitys. Rider aids are limited to traction control [not an issue on 600's being ridden on the street] and ABS. ABS is helpfull to new riders sometimes although me personally I've never locked the front brakes up and sliding the rear isen't a big deal normally. The best balance is a used, newer gen bike. Then you have all the goodies suspension and brakes wise yet its not worn to crap with everything missing [hopefully lol]

raylee 01-24-2013 07:02 PM

I also own an s1000rr.

estate4life 01-24-2013 07:05 PM

If a newbie wanted to learn how to swim? Would it make a difference learning in a new pool or a old lake?

Everyone's situation is different, if one can afford it, why not buy a newer bike. But if the new rider works month to month making ends meet...money decision will factor in......

My suggestion will always be preparation, gear up.

Kuroshio 01-24-2013 07:14 PM

Well on the subject of previous maintenance I'll say this: if my F3 hadn't been lowered to the point where my knees woulda been up under my nose, the first ride might have killed me. That's how mechanically wrong she was, biggest being the front axle spacers being wrong.

Lucking up on a barely ridden Ororo for a steal doesn't happen daily either. Nor, if ya don't mind me tooting my own horn, buying her from me with obscenely low mileage and so well maintained.

I also wasn't talking about dropping her either. When people buy brand new cars, they tend to fret and take things easy to start (unless they buy an alleged tank like a H3 or truck). New tends to encourage caution :p

CJardine 01-24-2013 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1213229)
Advice still holds true, although I'd never suggest a carb'd bike to anyone.

Whats wrong with carb'ed? I would recommend them to someone who likes to tinker or is willing to learn. Instead of slapping a PC with an auto tuner or wideband controller on and calling it good.

sjona2011 01-24-2013 07:41 PM

i dont see anything wrong with a buying a newer or older bike as a starter, each has is pros and cons.
older bikes are much cheaper and generally easier to work on. but you dont know what any PO has messed up on it, its maintenance history, or if it was babied or ridden hard and put up wet every night.

now with newer bikes, yes theres no maintenance history, and you know that it hasnt been abused or anything. but just because its a new bike doesnt mean that its perfect, factories and dealerships do make mistakes. the bike could get recalled, which would just be annoying.

and personally, i dont want a bike thats in pristine condition. not because i would be expecting to drop it, but im fairly clumsy and if/when it does get dropped or knocked over i would be more upset about it, rather than if it happened to an older bike, which it already has to my f3 >.<

also, i dont want a brand new bike just for the fact that id get no satisfaction in getting it fixed up and running. yes its a major PITA at times (like making 10+ trips to the hardware store in a weekend) but thats all part of the fun and well worth it in the "end"

74demon 01-24-2013 07:50 PM

Depends on what one wants out of the bike. If you have more dollars than sense and want a turn key operation, go new all the way. Just ride the thing and take it to the dealer to have your tire pressure checked. (see the Justin Bieber is a squid thread, nuff said)

If you want to get your hands dirty and learn about the machine as well as proper riding technique, a brand new bike wont teach you either. I don't think getting a complete pile with the intention of fixing it up, when that's way above one's mechanical abilities.

Power on a newer bike is way more efficient. Even the 600cc ones are caged beasts. Older ones are a bit more tame for the newer and irresponsible rider, and thus more forgiving and the temptation to show off are diminished.

As with any new activity, the best equipment available doesn't make you any good. I can spend $100k and get Jimmy Page's guitar, and still couldn't play a "Stairway to Heaven" to save my life. However, the worst equipment can hinder learning. Somewhere just above your skill level is a perfect compromise.

74demon 01-24-2013 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine (Post 1213238)
Whats wrong with carb'ed? I would recommend them to someone who likes to tinker or is willing to learn. Instead of slapping a PC with an auto tuner or wideband controller on and calling it good.

There is nothing wrong with carbs, it's just old technology. If your going to learn how to diagnose and work on the fuel system, why not strive to understand whats currently being used.

You wouldn't go to school to learn VCR repair, would you? :D