Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

dealership haggling question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dealership haggling question

Jay, as you already know from your bailout thread, they are down 50% in sales last quarter and desperate so dont accept any offer just because it sounds good, DO SERIOUS research. Your main problem is going to come in the credit part since they arent able to loan at decent rates without impeccable qualifications. Try to first see if you PREQUALIFY for one of their low or zero percent rates and if you dont then try a credit UUNNIIOONN. Even then, dont go into the dealership but start them on a biding war for your business via their websites. I did this not too long ago and am almost positive there is no way possible I could have gotten a lower rate unless I got an employee rate (speaking of which many are offering now). I had everything done and ready to go when I walked in to pick up the vehicle, no muss, no fuss. Feel free to PM me if you want.

edit: freaking cant type YOUNNION on this site lol

Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
RCR

Best bargining tool is a colt .45 and a mask. They damn near give em away.

Best way to be able to leave a dealership is to not bring your ID and paystubs and such. This lets you walk away and actually think about the deal better. Its humane nature to be excited and to want it right now. there is always a better deal out there.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's all the information about the 2009 Pontiac G6, including dealer invoicing. Pontiac G6 Consumer Guide (link)

For haggling:
I'm not sure about the current market and what it will afford you. You might be able to pick up some sweet deals under the dealer invoicing.

1. MOST IMPORTANT: Don´t be afraid to walk-out. They don´t want you to leave if you are hot to buy a car. This is the best negotiating tool you can have.
2. Do you research. No one the cars cost for the feature you are getting. Unless the car is in high demand, then you should never pay anything close to the MSRP.
3. Do not tell them how much you have.
4. Negotiate the car sale price first. When you get the price you are aiming for, then bring up the Dealer incentives.
5. Check with your Credit if you are a member. Some have pre-negotiated deals with the local dealers.
6. Don't pay for clear coat.
7. Careful with the extended warranty. You can get 3rd party warranties, usually for cheaper (but may have to be meticulous with the maintenance paperwork. Sometimes a dealer has a 3rd party warranty available too...same precautions.

Here's some links for you:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/buying...ng-channel.htm
http://www.carbuyingtips.com

Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM
RCR

What about the rumor that GM may be eliminating/closing Pontiac? does that effect thewarranty claims?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Jay my best advice being in sales myself is to not go shopping for a car but instead go shopping for a salesman. if you have the right salesman you dont have to worry about getting gipped. dont tell them you have anything!!!!! say nothing about your cash and nothing about your credit. when you let someones imagination run wild they usually get the best of themselves. if you can hold your composure and realize that they are going to try to sell you on gadgetry that is going to break and not be covered anyways then you can see past the first couple of sales men and get to one that you two connect with. if you wouldnt feel comfortable to reffer you mom to the salesman than he is not the one for you.

a little trick i like to do: when you pull up to the lot there will be at least 3 salesmen that will launch from the curb. the one that has the lead will proceed to you. i like to let them get all the way to me then DO NOT acknowledge then and wave over the guy that waved at you when you were pulling in. reason being is you dont wont to deal with a shark that is already rushing over to confront you, in buying from a seller you want to "pick the bitch" then have your way with him. but you have to make sure that this bitch has enough ***** to be stern with your offer when he takes it to the sales manager.

and keep this in mind: you have ten g's, you dont really need their car! they need you.

oh another thing Jay is i refuse to test drive ALWAYS. when they ask why, i just tell them that the car isnt sitting the way that i want it too (rims tires and suspension) i tell them i dont want to test it one way then drive it another (cause i dont want to buy it and keep going back and forth on which is better lowered or stock ...**** like that)

Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: RCR

What about the rumor that GM may be eliminating/closing Pontiac? does that effect thewarranty claims?
They are bound by law to honor teh warranty, so unless the entire parent company goes (.)(.)'s up you should be fine...
also:
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Will have some GREAT negotiating tips for buying a car regardless of if it is new or used.
above all...
Do your RESEARCH

Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteDealershipRice

ORIGINAL: RCR

They are bound by law to honor teh warranty, so unless the entire parent company goes (.)(.)'s up you should be fine...
also:
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Will have some GREAT negotiating tips for buying a car regardless of if it is new or used.
above all...
Do your RESEARCH

I was actually looking for that but then you go and post it up.^

Id recommend reading that, its sound advice.

If you want my personal advice about buying a car... buy used. G6s are CHEAP

Ebay actually has some with under 20k miles for about what you have in cash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2008-G6-V6-Low-Miles-Factory-Warranty-SAVE-BIG_W0QQitemZ280289913907QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Trucks QQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=i tem280289913907&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trk parms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

Yeah you have to drive a bit for some of the deals but you could find one with a factory warranty and low miles so it's prettymuch guaranteed in good order.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! thanks everyone. i'll definately look over the links you all provided and research before hitting the dealerships.

MUCH appreciated, thanks all!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM

The deals will be on the 08's. You'll have a harder time getting a good deal on a '09. You'll get a deal but probably not a good one.

Quick Reply: dealership haggling question