Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dealer Rape!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my area, $85/hr is the going service rate.

Spot-on recommendations about doing your own work as far as accessorizing goes. There is nothing on your list that you can't do yourself...& as its been mentioned, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing its done right.

Allowing someone else, regardless of whether its a dealership or not, to accessorize your bike, is just asking for trouble. They can break tabs on your plastics, scratch your plastics, frame, etc. Maybe wire electrical accessories correctly -or- not. Etc etc etc. Not saying that would happen...but why take the chance?

As for purchasing stuff, you will find it cheaper online...almost always. Not saying to not support your local shop. However, if they aren't going to treat their customers right on prices, no need to buy from them when other options exist.

Good luck...

Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking not rocket science

on a scale of one thru ten , the parts you mentioned are at a two at worst. dont be afraid to work on your bike, you wont learn unless you try. A simple set of tools and some patience youll be fine. Also just so you know , just because its the dealer does not mean that they do a great job, ive seen some ****-poor quality work come from the dealer. personally , i dont go to the dealer for any thing , but to sit on a new bike for a minute. some of the small shops usually will do a better job. peace

Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Basically. It's 70-80/hr at all the dealerships here. I have an AWESOME local independent mechanic who charges 60 or so and I always tip him over because he's just that good. Look around and see if you can find someone like that who really cares about bikes and does it for the love of it. My guy never does just what I brought the bike to him for. I took it in for a chain/sprocket install and a lowering kit and he did things like set the idle, tighten up cables, etc that I guarantee a dealership would not have done.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well a great example was when I needed to change the tires. I bought the tires online, took the wheels off and only needed 10 min with a tire changer. One said $60 per tire. Another said $50 per tire and I needed an appointment!

The guys I got the tire from knew a local mechanic who wrenches his own bike and dabbles on others' (so they said not to take anything major to him). $20 per tire, 15 min total time spent w/ balancing.

As for my current problem, nothing I've done has fully resolved it. But I'm now to a point where I at least know where I am. And I suspect I know the problem (malfunction air solenoid due to speedo not working). After this quick break, I'm gonna bypass the solenoid and see if I'm right

AFTER THE BREAK
Yup. Bike wasn't getting any air from the high speed air flow. Solenoid isn't working, either because of the speedo or because of itself

Last edited by Kuroshio; 09-23-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the tires online, took the wheels off and only needed 10 min with a tire changer. One said $60 per tire. Another said $50 per tire and I needed an appointment!
I got the EXACT same quotes from 2 shops here. Screw that. I just did it myself at home. It's a bunch of bs.
And yes, this was with the wheels already off. Labor was additional if the wheels were on the bike. (at probably $10billion/hr)

I'm sorry, I understand shops need to make money... but $100-$120 for 5mins with a tire changer. GTFO! They get no business from me now.
I used to use the one guy for inspections and little stuff, but I don't even use him for that anymore. They were ****** anyway.
I found another shop with a good mechanic who's honest and cool. I tip him and everything.
I don't think I ask for too much.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I'm sorry, I understand shops need to make money... but $100-$120 for 5mins with a tire changer. GTFO! They get no business from me now.
I understand shops need to make money. But the dealerships imo should be a little more lax with minor stuff, like a tire change. 10 mins with a tire changer shouldn't equal $120. I can guarantee I can take two car rims + tires down the block and get them mounted + balanced for $20. Especially if I take the old tires with me (no disposal fee).

Between bike, parts and accessory sales a dealership should be able to introduce a reasonable sliding scale for work without affecting their bottom line too much. They'd be likely to get more sales from customers who appreciated the fair prices. The quotes given to me have guaranteed I'll only go there for immediate needs on parts. For actual service, I might try the dabbler. To actually buy a bike?

Well they've already demostrated their willingness to rape me for small stuff. So why would I set myself up for bigger raping on a major purchase?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 AM

I, too, understand the need that a dealership has to make money...they have to pay for the building, staff, the tools, that tire machine, taxes, etc. When I need a genuine Honda part on a Saturday afternoon so I can go riding on Sunday, I really need that dealer. No on-line parts house is going to help me out there. So, I may knowingly pay a little more to the dealer than if I bought it on-line to be able to have the ability to get that special part on a Saturday afternoon, or to call the owner up on Sunday and have him meet me at the shop so I can get a part (which has actually happened).

I guess I was lucky in that my local dealer didn't charge inflated prices. He was reasonable.

I wish more people realized this in my area. My Honda dealer just went out of business yesterday. Now, instead of 8 miles away, the closest is 50.

Last edited by randyjoy; 09-24-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have loved to continue supporting mine... it's great to have them. My biggest problem wasn't the money, it was the lack of attention to detail. They brought in a new shop manager and they have completely lost their quality of service. I brought a bike in and I went over it in the parking lot. I'm not talking one mistake - I'm talking about multiple bolts not torqued to spec - INCLUDING on the brake calipers.

If I have to check all of their work, I might as well do it myself.

The folks in the shop are brilliantly friendly. Thing is I'm not shopping for a new bike. I need some new boots (50% cheaper online) and a spare pair of A* S2 Pros (30% cheaper online) and a STACKS of tires. Online tires were $200 cheaper a set.

I want them to be there - but I can't afford to pay them... I saved about $1000 on tires this year - and that's not counting the tire changes I did myself to run a set of take-offs for a quick test or tossing on some touring rubber for a trip.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM

It's unfortunate that many dealers jack up their prices so much, so that they cannot compete with on-line sales. People look at the price and are amazed. My dealer would always match an on-line price, and he sold stuff at considerebly less than MSRP to loyal customers. I remember an item he had marked for $7.95; exact same item at the next shop was $29.95 (but they'd knock off 10%, so you THOUGHT you were getting a deal).

It was a small operation, I'm in a small town. Unfortunately, he was one of the good guys, and it appears a dying breed in the motorsports industry.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Well i can't say to much about my stealership here. I have only gone for one thing and it was out ragous! 156 for one handle bar. Granted it is an oem part but i got a set of after market ones and for 100 and got both handle bars. Plus i could adjust them to me. But i ended up with the stealership just because i wanted to ride. still took them 4 days to get it to me. When i was in GA for a mount and balance for the stealership was 100 bucks a tire. Local shop charged me 60 for both. Plus the checked the tune of the bike and idle. They were even willing to redo the PCIII for a small fee. Didn't do it at the time but it would of been worth it. Loyalty goes a long way. Wow that is rambling for sure.

Quick Reply: Dealer Rape!!