CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Darn it! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/darn-128202/)

scorpionvmu 07-13-2011 12:40 PM

good luck with the plug.

do they hod up well at higher speeds???

kazspeed 07-13-2011 12:52 PM

piece of mind > worrying about a blow-out

If it were me, I'd get a new tire.

stretch_the_apex 07-13-2011 01:46 PM

you gotta take the tire off the rim to do the patch job?

stretch_the_apex 07-13-2011 03:22 PM

i should of said how did you take the tire off the rim in order to patch the tire and then get it back on? cause if i gotta pull the rim off take it to the shop have em take off the tire then patch it myself and have them put the tire back on the rim i'd almost be more inclined to get a new tire then spend 75-100 bucks on the patch/plug kit and getting the tire taken off and put on at the shop.

morpheus 07-13-2011 03:54 PM

i got a nail in almost the exact same spot on an almost new PP2CT, ordered a new tire from Street Bike Tires and Sportbike Tires at Motorcycle Tire Superstore , had it mounted locally and have the nailed tire in the garage waiting to get the patch. Where does one get the patch that applies from the inside of the tire?.........Tom

stretch_the_apex 07-13-2011 03:57 PM

you should be able to find it or order it at a local auto store, or get a pack online somewhere or ebay heres a for instance...Patch-Plug Lead Wire Combo Units 1-2/3" x 1/4" 64 ct. | eBay
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKik...!jEWQ~~_12.JPG

gotcbr 07-13-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex (Post 1078671)
i should of said how did you take the tire off the rim in order to patch the tire and then get it back on?

Taking it off is the only way I've ever done it for both patch & plug. Never used one of the "combo" units.

adrenalnjunky 07-13-2011 04:08 PM

i should of said how did you take the tire off the rim in order to patch the tire and then get it back on? cause if i gotta pull the rim off take it to the shop have em take off the tire then patch it myself and have them put the tire back on the rim i'd almost be more inclined to get a new tire then spend 75-100 bucks on the patch/plug kit and getting the tire taken off and put on at the shop.

You most likely won't find a motorcycle shop that will patch/plug a tire for you - most reputable tire stores won't do it either. I've always been told that their Insurance companies won't allow it due to liability.

I had an almost identically located roofing nail in a rear tire that had 500 miles on it. I plugged it the old school way and rode all winter with no problems. I did replace the tire this spring, but just to give myself peace of mind. The tire is sitting in my workshop waiting to go on my sport-crusier frankenbike build.

with the plugs shown here, I likely wouldnt have replaced the tire @ all.

gotcbr 07-13-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky (Post 1078695)
You most likely won't find a motorcycle shop that will patch/plug a tire for you...

Yep, that can be a problem. Many neighborhood bike shops -will- but large dealership shops usually won't.

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky (Post 1078695)
...with the plugs shown here, I likely wouldnt have replaced the tire @ all.

The hole in mine occurred at 100+ mi (basically new). I did the repair & got two track days at Willow & 8K+ out of it.

I'll plug-n-patch mine anytime its necessary. Doesn't worry me a bit.

amRRussel 07-14-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu (Post 1078615)
good luck with the plug.

do they hod up well at higher speeds???

Yes, I've known guys who will do the patch & plug and go run track days on them. However, most TD organizations will not allow a tire that has two or more P & P's within a quarter inch of one another.

Originally Posted by kazspeed (Post 1078622)
piece of mind > worrying about a blow-out

If it were me, I'd get a new tire.

When I ran P & P's it was mostly until I could afford new tires. The one instance I ran it to the wear bars but that's because the tire was almost there. The other tire I hung on a wall as a spare after buying a new tire; a friend needed a tire, explained everything about the P & P in it and he wasn't bothered and ran the tire until the chords shown.

Basically what I'm saying is I agree with your p.o.m>worrying but I do have faith in new technological advances.

The way I have done it by myself is lay a blanket down, pull valve stem on tire releasing all the air. Lay tire down on said blanket, try standing on the edge to break the bead (if you're a smaller guy most likely won't happen). If you can't stand on it to break the bead try using a riding mower, four wheeler, side by side or vehicle by running over the edge of THE TIRE NOT THE RIM. After the bead breaks off the edge of the rim carefully use large flat head screwdriver or pry bar to get under the lip of the tire to leverage it over the edge of the rim, flip tire/rim over and push that side of the tire down to the other side where the tire is coming off the rim(body weight should be suffice by for this part) and use said tools above to get tire over edge of rim. Once tire is off, clean area needed to be fixed, fix, clean off the lips of the tire and rim( so that a sufficient bead lock can be aquired. Put tire Facing the correct direction by simply reversing the process of carefully using large flathead screwdriver or pry bar to put tire back on the rim. After tire is on the rim and double check the rim and tire lips for cleanliness and with the valve stem still out use a large compressor to force air back into the tire and wait for each side of the bead to pop on (if you have never done this before the pops may scare you lol) replace valve stem and air to desired PSI remount and have fun!. ***DISCLAIMER*** I am not responsible for any scratches on the rims, broken peices or parts etc.***

Here is a video I found on the youtube that demonstrates what I mentioned just with a truck tire not a bike tire.

http://youtu.be/dPVfn2NjirY

Edit* Can't embed video! :icon_rant: