Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Damn winter boredom making me spend money

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn winter boredom making me spend money

Isn't it pretty:

I have another video card and 6 gigs more ddr3 2000 ordered, I just had to get the parts to get it up and running asap (I have no patience).

2 hours later (had to stop to play with new puppy a few times):

I need to clean up my wiring a bit but I was in a hurry to get it up and running.

I am assuming I wont have issues running more than one thing at a time now:

I will have to get pics of the new puppy up later, he wasnt being very photogenic at 2am last night.

Edit: I almost forgot I bought a new helmet too:

Last edited by Liquidpjear; 02-07-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM

You realize that the power supply sitting at the bottom of the case and sitting so close to the video card, its going to be super hot. Hot air raises dude.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 PM

I am jealous!! i have not updated my computer in over a year, i just cant find any reason to do it, but its always fun getting all kinda new **** and putting it together!

you do need to turn the psu upside down it looks like the fan is on the bottom and its going to get too hot like that, mount it upside down and it will exhaust the hot air much more easily even against the rising hot air.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 PM

The next computer I'm building, I'm not going to even buy a case. Instead, I'm going to get some cardboard sheet and super glue some risers in them and mount the motherboard into the cardboard and mount it to the wall. Then I'm going to get a room fan and just point it at it.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 PM

The power suppy actually has a 140 fan on the bottom, and the case has vents under the psu and the feet give it about 1 inch of clearance off the desk so it keeps it cool so far. The sound card is actually the problem it sits right up against the video card but it doesnt block and fans so we will see what happens. The case also has 3 fans that are nearly 6 inches across.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 PM

^ that will be good as long as you keep it on a solid surface, if you put in on carpet or something it will be suffocated badly. Sweet rig!

my tower is a server tower and i just cut everything out of it and made my own mounts where i wanted them so that i could do what ever i wanted and its pretty sweet, stays real cool with all the fans. right now im making a new one and arranging it a little differently.

Last edited by Hcstreetriding; 02-07-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hcstreetriding
^ that will be good as long as you keep it on a solid surface, if you put in on carpet or something it will be suffocated badly. Sweet rig!

my tower is a server tower and i just cut everything out of it and made my own mounts where i wanted them so that i could do what ever i wanted and its pretty sweet, stays real cool with all the fans. right now im making a new one and arranging it a little differently.
Through 2 hours of gaming the highest temp recorded at gpu was 56.0C with my system temp at 35C at idle, I would say its alright for now.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nauree

You realize that the power supply sitting at the bottom of the case and sitting so close to the video card, its going to be super hot. Hot air raises dude.

All-natural envy in a can, brought to you with no trans fat or tact!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by SpiritRR
All-natural envy in a can, brought to you with no trans fat or tact!
Its cool everyone has their priorities. My old rig was getting really sluggish and I needed something new. I wanted something that would be able to run CAD and Solidworks without ever batting an eye so I went out and built a rig to do it. I also do some digital design and photography so its nice to have that extra power when working with very large images in PS. I will have to look into this whole heat rising phenomenon, that my come in handy in my travels as an engineer.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Yea!!! PC ***** size square off.

Messy. I know.

Name:  PCalive007Medium.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  PCalive009Medium.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  PCalive010Medium.jpg
Views: 25