Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crazy Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crazy Weather

Man, I'm too scared to go out when its freezing out. How do you get any traction on frozen concrete? Ice picks?

Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Well, you try and avoid that stuff! Haha...

Seriously, what I do is just ride long streets and make gentle turns when needed. After about 20 minutes of that, your tires will handle just like any other day (withsafety obviously in mind).

Also, anyone that doesn't have the jack to throw down on some winter gloves, get a pair of stretchy's from Walmart for $2 and then get some handwarmer packets for $1 a piece. You can put the warmer on your palm or the back of your hand, or both, whichever gets warmer. You'd be amazed at how those things will keep you warm with some stretchy's and finally your other gloves on top.

If your gloves won't let you put all that underneath, I know it doesn't sound pretty, but thick, leather construction gloves will do in a pinch. There you go, for about $10 you can ride comfortably in cold weather and not get sore as hell hands... I learned from experience (I havesome nice, toasty riding gloves now

Also, the balaclava, I recommend it 100% and more. It is truly amazing how much it helps. You don't even realize how much of that cold air starts at the back of your neck until you eliminate it, a balaclava will do that. If you get one, get the good ones made from 3M Thinsulate. It cost me I think $14 at a Harley shop here in town. The only time I've ever been in there, haha.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM

I wear jeans, wife beater, t-shirt, flanel or jean jacket, and leather jacket, regular socks and shoes, normal leather riding gloves and helmet.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM

It was 74 yesterday and this morning there was 1/2 an inch of ice on everything and the high for taoday was 24.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Retired Moderator

What is a balaclava...some kind of polish sausage? Kidding, kidding, is it one of those handkerchief thingys you wear aroung your mouth?

Old 01-14-2007, 01:07 AM

Not really, it is more like a beanie for your entire head and neck area.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Banned

This is whatmine looks like...

http://www.snogear.com/images/miscel.../balaclava.jpg

Old 01-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People expect you to be riding a Kawasaki looking like this:

Kidding, I have one too. Makes a big difference and keeps your mouth, neck and back of your head from going numb.

Oh, and I'm not too keen on the whole Global warming thing. But then again, Al Gore did invent the internet, so maybe he's right.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

What is a balaclava...some kind of polish sausage? Kidding, kidding, is it one of those handkerchief thingys you wear aroung your mouth?
It's the thing terrorists and bank robbers use I'd recommend getting one with no seams, sometimes they are tough to find. A seam in the wrong place under a tight fitting helmet leads to pain pretty quickly.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Retired Moderator

Ooh...swell idea, boys. I'll have to get me one so I can keep my chin in tact AND knock over a liquor store with my homies,"WEST SIDE!" It would actually come in handy for my snowboarding season, as well! I'll have to try for a seamless one, thanks for the tip, Senor FatGuy.

Quick Reply: Crazy Weather