Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crashing is avoidable, not inevitable ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crashing is avoidable, not inevitable ...

Some people dont crash for 10, 12 or 17 or maybe even 40 years like my dad but others seem to drop their bikes once or twice a year, sometimes more ... What do you think??
Anyway it will boils down to the mentality of the people.
Just like some people can't sing well, or dance well. Some people can't drive safely well. That doesn't not mean that a person that crashes does not have the ability to handle a motorcycle at any given time, it may mean that they cannot focus on riding safely all the time. It is a mental thing, not a skill thing.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

That doesnt not mean that a person that crashes does not have the ability to handle a motorcycle at any given time, it may mean that they cannot focus on riding safely all the time. It is a mental thing, not a skill thing.

Yes, someone who crashes consistently has a riding problem and maybe shouldnt ride at all ..in fact definitely shouldnt ride but those of us who can ride and do have the skills to ride well can still crash because we didnt focus at the time of the crash ..there are ground hog days, off days, some days we are just brighter and more alert than others ... but mostly if we could just keep up the concentration then we tend not to crash ... again it comes down to operator error ..the whole x factor thing being somewhat rarer ..for instance I never have to avoid deer, its not an issue ..I didnt crash in 17 years ..I made an error of judgement and rode my bike when not up to judging it well ... that earned me a fail but it was avoidable, not inevitable ...

Jules

Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 AM
RCR

**** happens and you can never change that. Nobody rides to crash.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

**** happens and you can never change that. Nobody rides to crash.
corrolaries:

nobody f**ks to get AIDS.
nobody eats to get fat.
nobody drinks to get DUIs.
nobody spends to go bankrupt.
nobody does drugs to be a junky.
nobody smokes to get lung cancer.
nobody tans to get skin cancer.
nobody drives an SUV to increase pollution.
nobody buys Chinese goods to weaken the dollar.
nobody buys gasoline to support terrorism
nobody invests to lose money.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCR
Nobody rides to crash.
I hate absolutes! Stunt men ride to crash!

I've had my incompetent *** on the ground 3x's over the past year. I have to say...the 3rd wasn't my fault and it was actually kind of fun. I highsided and it reminded me of my childhood when I would fake fall down a hill, stuntman style! Just call me "The Fall Guy!"

Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

The worst thing that new rider can suffer from is the
" I am invisible and the best rider on the road thing" ...

I think the best lesson to learn from, is the accident you can talk about later ...
Sadly, I know a buddy who doesnt understand the fact that he's not king of the road, nor the best rider on it, and way overextends himself, worse yet, he's a noob on a bike with WAY too much power(75 350 2 stroke pushing 90HP)

But I agree, each crash brings forth some lesson in what NOT to do next time, ALL crashes are learning opportunities if you look for what you did wrong, or what happened and learn some way to avoid the accident next time.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^

Agreed, my first crash in 17 years and I know exactly where I went wrong ... that particular scenario will never happen again ...

Jules

Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to disagree with wot everyone else has said, but would like to add something about accidents. I've never did a riding course when I started, they did not exist, you just answered a few questions about road & traffic rules, did an eye test, stuck the 'L' plate on the back of the bike & away I went. Being young (Full of myself, attention span of a gnat, but good reflexes) meant that I survived the initial learning curve.
My 1st & 2nd stacks could have been a lot worse (as in dead), I had managed to avoid a lot more before them & after.
So I'll get to the point, riding does not mean an off is inevitable, but the two things I have learned is that you ride prepared that it is, 2nd, take yourself out of the safety zone (ride like a dick) & the odds get pretty good you will.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 PM

I got in a bit of trouble today on a S turn. I was warned about it before, from my friend that was ridding with me. I did Exactly what he said not to do. Afterwards, I counted 4 things I did wrong, because of my noob skills. After, all I could think was that God musta bailed me out. AndI need more skills. I was gonna burn money on some new fairings, but I'm now leaning towards better gear.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 PM

I've fallen once while on my bike...i laughed at myself but uh....sorry i think murphys law>anyone and everyone. If it can happen it will happen....duh

Quick Reply: Crashing is avoidable, not inevitable ...