Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

to clutch or not to clutch

Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to clutch or not to clutch

o.k. here is the deal i got into a discussion with a guy at work yesterday over clutching when upshifting.
I say its not nessecary, he says it is. I grew up riding dirt bikes and never had to use the clutch to upshift and now do not on my bike. he says it will hurt the clutch but it should haveno effect on the clutch whatsoever. if your grinding gears then you are hurting the trans but if your not then this has no effect on trans life. so what does every body else say do you clutch or not? what about your thoughts on it hurting the trans?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Default RE: to clutch or not to clutch

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that they put a clutch in the transmission for a reason....ive never heard of an automatic CBR...i choose to use mine therefore spending less money on repairs btu do as u will..

Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 AM

this topic has been beat almost to death over tha past few months.

here are a few links to posts i found using the search feature.

https://cbrforum.com/m_391266/tm.htm
https://cbrforum.com/m_366835/tm.htm
https://cbrforum.com/m_213718/tm.htm
https://cbrforum.com/m_271711/tm.htm

Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM

your right they put the clutch in the bike for a reason, to take off with. sorry if this is an over used topic i did not check to see if anybodyposted this topic recently i just had a conversation with sombody and thought i would get sombody elses opinion.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned

Plain and simple...

The clutch is there for a reason... and not just to accelerate from first. CBRs are fine with clutchless upshifting, but here'e the deal;

The only reason to clutchless upshift is to remove that one second it takes to shift - for racing. Hell, even a lot of MotoGP guys still use the clutch though more and more are using clutchless shift kits.

Let me put it like this, if it was a perfect science and didin't hurt anything when done incorrectly, DynoJet and many other companies wouldn't make a kit specifically for this.

To shift without the clutch, you should be in high RPM's, like 9-10K+. You find yourself shifting at 10K+ RPM's on the street everyday? Didin't think so. Use your clutch or start riding like a madman on the city streets drawing all sorts of attention to yourself... your call.

By the way - you're not gaining anything on the city streets/highway by not using your clutch, unless it's making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to do it. Then you're just weird.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM

i rarely use my clutch at all not just at 10grand. im talking just cruising and pop it into a higher gear 5-6k. i know it doesent take long to shift its just how i learned to ride. i can tell you i have had quit a few bikes and have never had a trans problem.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 AM

do me a favor and buy this off ebay just for my peice of mind then...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=004

im NOT NOT NOT this seller so it has no affect on my finances.
this device is basically a "shift" kit, push button with an ignition jumper.... not only will you save your throwout bearing and clutch blate, but with this your tourqe curve will remain constant and you wont have un-nessecary wheel drift in cornering....alot safer...

Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM

by blate i meant plate-sorry for the sp

Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Theres a reason for the clutch to be there...

to downshift

Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM

no problem on the spelling it happens to me all the time. as far as the clutch plates they dont move or should not move when shifting if you do not use the clutch if they do then you have a bad clutch. but i do like this solonoid thank you for the link.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: to clutch or not to clutch