Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Close call today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close call today...

So I am out riding today, just enjoying the great weather. I am still new to riding and today had my scariest experience. I was riding behind a mini van at about 40mph. Out of nowhere she slams on her brakes, coming to a complete stop in the middle of the lane in a one lane road. I had a good amount of distance between us, but by the time I could tell she had stopped completely, there was little distance so I slammed the brakes. I hit the rear brake hard enough to lock it up at about 35mph!!! Of course the rear end came loose and swerved to the right. Luckily the MSF safety info is still fresh in my mind and I kept the brake applied and skidded to a complete stop in time to not hit the van. Turns out the van came to a complete stop to honk at a dog that was in the middle of the road. Needless to say I was pretty shaken, but all is well. I think I will be taking the MSF courses every year to stay sharp. The info you learn there is truelly life saving.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

glad you are ok

Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 PM

i'm glad you're okay, im also glad the dogs okay cuz i love dogs! and im also glad the woman in the van cared to save the dog... i've seen some people that just didnt care that much...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM

wait your supposed to keep the brakes on? I thought you let go and pump em?

I had the rear lock on me but I could keep the bike in control.

what am i exactly supposed to do?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
what am i exactly supposed to do?
Take the MSF course!

Okay, okay, I'll help you out.

Motorcycle coaches would instruct you to keep the rear wheel locked up until you come to a complete stop because if you let rear brake go after being locked up and with the rear wheel skidded to a side, the bike pose a chance to flip.

However, those same coaches would instruct you differently if it were your front brakes. If you lock up you front wheel you should release the brakes and apply hard, steady pressure until you have the bike under control.

I was being funny with my first sentence, but if you have not taken the MSF course (and even if you have some riding experience already) you should take the course because it can be invaluable in training you for what to do in an emergency, unexpected or close-call situation.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Take the MSF course!

Okay, okay, I'll help you out.

Motorcycle coaches would instruct you to keep the rear wheel locked up until you come to a complete stop because if you let rear brake go after being locked up and with the rear wheel skidded to a side, the bike pose a chance to flip.

However, those same coaches would instruct you differently if it were your front brakes. If you lock up you front wheel you should release the brakes and apply hard, steady pressure until you have the bike under control.

I was being funny with my first sentence, but if you have not taken the MSF course (and even if you have some riding experience already) you should take the course because it can be invaluable in training you for what to do in an emergency, unexpected or close-call situation.
+1

This is fundamental knowledge you should have to ride safely. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor, spend a couple hundred bones and take the MSF course in your local area. You'll come away with a lot of great new knowledge and you'll save some money on your insurance too!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, glad you're ok Tim! Sounds like MSF was good to you, bud!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Oh Yeah, it was good to me. Also helps that I was practicing the emergency moves in a vacant parking lot.

Jpanside - Technically you can let go of the brakes once you have straightened the wheels. The only way to guarantee that is to come to a complete stop. If you let go too soon, and the wheels aren't alligned, you can high side which is very bad.

So with this in mind, I think my next bike just may be that nice new CBR600 with ABS. Its gotten great reviews and can be the best safety tool yet developed by ANY manufacturer.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Way to go. I LOVE the MSF courses. They're pretty intense, but very well worth it. GREAT for refreshers on stuff liek this that just doesn't happen enough to be instinct (thank God).

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Do yourself and your loved ones a favor, spend a couple hundred bones and take the MSF course in your local area.
Damn dude, you have to pay for your MSF? PA offers the course at no charge and as long as you entered with a learners permit, then upon successful completion of the coarse, you come out with a class M license! For Freez!

And you use the MSF course's bikes, you need not worry about buying one or dropping one you already have.

Quick Reply: Close call today...