Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cigarette Tax increase.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

yeah, I agree about the tax. they should just outlaw them all together and get it over with.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Let us pay more to poison ourselves!

I say up the price to 20 bucks a pack!
Then i will either stop smoking or be considered a man who knows what life is worth.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 PM

The funny part is if it was not for tobacco I don't think the USA would be like it is today. In the days of the colony's tobacco was a major source of revenue. As for me I stop smoking 5+ years ago cold turkey, I just decided to stop and I threw my pack of cigs away and never looked back.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
June 2011 ROTM

My dad has been smoking for nearly 40 years and has no desire to even try to quit. He just doesnt want to give it up.
I smoke cigars sometimes in the summer, but rarely. If the govt would legalize pot they could tax that and cigs. I personally think they could make a ton of money doing that and really help out the economy

Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 AM

If the govt would legalize pot they could tax that and cigs. I personally think they could make a ton of money doing that and really help out the economy
Yeah I think that if pot was legalized it would make life 900 times better. And it would get some ****ty dealers out of the street and force them to get a real job even if its at taco bell

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cbrsix
Yeah I think that if pot was legalized it would make life 900 times better. And it would get some ****ty dealers out of the street and force them to get a real job even if its at taco bell
Well that may actually happen some day! Some guy introduced legislation to legalize pot in CA for anyone over 21 and it would be treated like alcohol, no driving & smoking the cronic, bassically the same intoxication laws. But they could stop dropping millions to combat the illegal pot trade and start taxing it and start making money!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM

I'm not here to preach what people should or shouldn't do with their money and bodies. A little background on me, I'm 24 and have a MS in bacterial pathogenesis and currently finishing my Ph. d. in the same field with a sub-specialty in pediatric cancers. I also teach a course on the biology of cancer and AIDS. My opinion on cigarettes:
1. worst thing ever invented
2. i never judge my students or anyone for that matter who smoke, people still have the free will to do what they want
3. people who want info on what cigarette smoke does and how bad it is, i will be more then willing to talk with them, otherwise ill keep my mouth shut (again, its your choice and i respect that)
4. Raising taxes on cigarettes: GREAT IDEA! you can say what you want about the government making a ton of money off of cigarettes, which really isn't even close to true when you look at the HUGE cost of caring for smokers in the health care field is. So if your going to smoke and waste my money through health insurance, while i work my *** of to take care of myself. I'm glad i may see some of that money come back to me in some way through the governments taxes you pay.

To put it in perspective about this 60% of all deaths in the US are attributed to Obesity (30%) and Smoking (30%). About 85% of the annual health care costs (billions of dollars, sorry i don't have an exact number) in the US is attributed to these diseases. Scariest part, all smoking and obesity related deaths are almost 100% PREVENTABLE! (dont smoke and eat right!) Leave it to the US citizens to kill our selves for no reason...

my two cents, again i believe it is your choice to do what you want, thats why i love this country. but understand why i really don't feel bad about a little increase in the cost of poison. again sorry that this kind of sounds like a rant, its just tough to watch people do this to themselves.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayter515
To put it in perspective about this 60% of all deaths in the US are attributed to Obesity (30%) and Smoking (30%). About 85% of the annual health care costs (billions of dollars, sorry i don't have an exact number) in the US is attributed to these diseases.
I do not share the belief that obesity is a disease ... nor is smoking. Lack of will power is a bee-yatch and it sucks to see people kill themselves but in the end you gotta let people do what they want to do or risk alienating them. Then you have someone who's pissed off and smoking/eating unhealthy.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM

I agree cigarettes are the worst thing invented and like I said before I am glad to see the increase because I think it will be enough to make me not spend the money on them. I dont feel bad for the health care thing though..

So if your going to smoke and waste my money through health insurance, while i work my *** of to take care of myself
Hey man just because we smoke doesnt mean we dont bust our *** everyday. We are not criminals for smoking, so dont try to make it seem like we take others healthcare money and dont earn our own keep here.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 AM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by cbrsix
I agree cigarettes are the worst thing invented and like I said before I am glad to see the increase because I think it will be enough to make me not spend the money on them. I dont feel bad for the health care thing though..

Hey man just because we smoke doesnt mean we dont bust our *** everyday. We are not criminals for smoking, so dont try to make it seem like we take others healthcare money and dont earn our own keep here.
Hes not saying your lazy just sucking money out of the govt or anything. Just that insurance rates get jacked up when people your bundled up with at work are smokers. Im 22 yrs old, dont smoke or drink, im not overweight by any means, but im paying the same price as a guy I work with that weighs 400lbs, smokes a pack a day, eats out everyday, and drinks himself to sleep. So maybe the problem is with the insurance companies taking advantage of the situation

Quick Reply: Cigarette Tax increase.