Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

CHP Salvage/Total Loss inspection

Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 AM
subyman1440's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 208
Default CHP Salvage/Total Loss inspection

Hello! It's been quite a while since I visited this forum. I sold my 06 600RR and bought a Ducati 748. Now, there's a chance I might be coming back to this forum soon....

I'm looking to pick up a 2004 CBR 600RR that's been lowsided and marked as a "total loss" or salvage. My buddy decided to keep the bike to fix it up but never got anywhere with it. So now he's looking to give it to me. However, he told me that I would have to go through a California Highway Patrol Inspection before I can register it. Is anyone familiar with a CHP inspection for motorcycles??? The bike is mechanically in great condition. Rides straight, frame is straight, etc. However, the plastics are destroyed along with the headlight. It seems like an easy fix. Just buy a new headlight and bodykit.

I'm stressing over the paperwork issues. Is the CHP inspection a PITA? IF so, I'm going to pass up on this deal. Do they inspect every single component? Like checking to see if my aftermarket mirrors, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc etc are DOT approved?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 7,954

A salvage title can only be issued to the registered owner at the time it was wrecked, so your buddy will need to help you.

First, submit the application at the dmv. The chp won't do anything until they have the request for inspection. All the chp does is verify the vin and case numbers and make sure they are not stolen. Its easy and nothing to stress over.

The tricky part is to get the brake and lamp inspection at a repair shop. Problem is that the inspectors are only licensed for cars. Its my understanding that they don't license for bikes. Ask you local dealer and shops for info on who can sign off on it. They shouldn't look for dot stuff, only make sure everything works.

A dmv satellite office (or AAA if you're a member) may be your best bet for help with the paperwork. They are more helpful to get you through it than the dmv tards.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 PM
subyman1440's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 208

It's great to see you Demon! Wow, it sounds a lot simpler than I imagined. My friend is currently trying to get his pink slip back because he misplaced it. I'm sure he would have to take care a majority of the paperwork by the time he gets the pink slip. I've got a couple of good bike shops where I live so I'll stop by and ask around about the lamp inspection. Thanks!
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Justin D Quetel
New Member Area
08-04-2013 11:35 PM
CBR 600F3
01-17-2012 02:17 AM
General Tech
07-13-2010 10:39 AM
F4i - Main Forum
11-28-2008 02:55 PM
CBR 1000RR
04-06-2008 12:03 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CHP Salvage/Total Loss inspection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.