CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Cheap College Kid Recipes (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/cheap-college-kid-recipes-129960/)

backyardmechanic 08-22-2011 06:31 PM

Cheap College Kid Recipes

Just wondering if ya'll knew of any good CHEAP recipes that a college kid can cook on a budget? I know how to cook and have the tools needed just need new ideas. I actually just cooked one that was actually really good and only cost 10 bucks(feeds two guys). Youll need 2 pita bread circle, chx or steak, cheese(your choice) and BBQ sauce for the one i used. You cook the meat, put the pita in the oven add cheese till it melts, add meat and sauce. Or vegetables for the veggie lovers out there.

gotcbr 08-22-2011 06:34 PM

Mac-n-cheese.
Spam - all sorts of ideas.
Ramen - add in veggies.
Rice & beans.

adrenalnjunky 08-22-2011 07:05 PM

I did this one in college a lot, and still do it to feed the fam from time to time.

2-3 pound roast, salt & pepper/season to taste, place in a crock pot, pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over it, and leave on low heat for ~8 hours. You can eat it for a few days.

Drop in a few carrots/baby potatoes/quartered onions if you want some veggies in there.

TheCult 08-22-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr (Post 1092533)
Mac-n-cheese.

+1 college kids back up/ first idea dinner haha

MadHattr059 08-22-2011 07:38 PM

Left-over lettuce from your veggie gf's lunch yesterday. Chopped onion, jalepenos and salsa
from last nights Taco Bueno run. A bell-pepper. That crushed, half-empty bag of corn/flour-tortilla chips
next to the sofa. Here's the hard part... a can of chili w/beans
and a big chunk of cheese (grated).

Crunch the chips in the bottom of the bowl, dump the chili 'n' beans on top of that.
Nuke a while, dump the lettuce, etc on top of that, grated cheese for
the final touch.
Nuke, again, to the melt cheese, stir throughly, eat, throw away empty can
(miss!) and wash bowl later. Find the spoon under your room-mate's bed
when you go home for x-mas vacation, while looking for a sock.

Ern

kilgoretrout 08-22-2011 07:54 PM

Half pound of roast beef simmered in beef broth (you can use bullion and water)
Pull it out of the broth and put it on open rolls. Slap on some cheese and bake for like 2mins until the cheese melts. Use the broth to dip the sandwiches in. Maybe $5 or so for makeshift beef dips.
Tuna melts are cheap as hell, too. Mix up some tuna salad and put it on english muffins ($1 muffins at wally world). Put a slice of tomato and some cheddar on top and bake it for a couple mins until the cheese melts. Costs about $3 total.
If you ever have some leftover ham from ham sammiches, throw it in a skillet and fry it. Then add some barbecue sauce. Makes a quick meal that's not too bad.
Also.... you can buy boneless/skinless chicken breasts for pretty cheap. (like $1.88/lb for 5lbs on sale.. sometimes cheaper). Freeze what you don't use. You can do anything with chicken. Slice it up, roll it in egg and flour and fry it for some dam good chicken strips.

Breakfast for dinner is pretty dam cheap, too. Couple eggs... maybe some waffles. Bacon if you're ballin'. lol..

When I was in college, I had a weekly bar schedule. :D
I forget monday (must have been good), but tuesday was taco night. "Taco tuesday and $2 pitchers". There was this hottie that made you tacos for 25c each all night long. lol..
Wednesday was wing night at Fox's. $3 for 10 wings and 75c pints until 10pm. ("happy hour" was from 5-10pm :))
Thursday was pizza night. You could get a large for $5 with a college ID.
Friday I usually just ate whatever the hippy chicks were cooking down the street. I generally hate hippies, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I once ate breakfast sandwiches from Sheetz for like 2months straight. I won an ebay auction for 40 coupons for a free Sheetz breakfast sandwich of my choice. I paid like $17 for them.
"What do you think I want, beatch?? I want the steak shmagel with everything on it!" ;)

All I'm saying is that you have to think outside the box. haha!

backyardmechanic 08-22-2011 08:05 PM

thank you guys so much, i moved out a week ago to an apartment and finding things that are easy and cheap to cook was getting hard. And im not a big fan of fast food every night, too much fat and money for the quantity. plus no leftovers

frozenpoet 08-22-2011 08:09 PM

eggs, chicken, rice, and potatoes should be your base and you can go anywhere from there. mix veggies a scrambled egg and rice, add grilled/baked chicken. just mix and match and play around, and if it tastes like crap remember not to do it again then hit the dollar menu at Mcdonalds.

Trey929RR 08-22-2011 09:14 PM

Someone said a recipe about a crock pot, INVEST IN ONE, cook for 4 because it is much cheaper to buy chicken/pork/beef in larger quantities. no specific recipes, Search for on a budget recipes on Yahoo! Shine

gitoy 08-22-2011 10:09 PM

when i was in college it was spaghetti and meat sauce...feed the whole frat for a few dollars...