Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Carbon Fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber?

Yes you can "generally" use same resins on both.Heres a link to mxclear on ebay. I think they have the rations for how much you need too, it doesnt take much resin.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Epoxy...82471877QQrdZ1

Plastics are easily overlayed then peeled off, then they will have to be reattached via glue or spray adhesives. I have done some work with the fiberglass resins, the yellowish tint is not that bad if you dont overdo the surface epoxy or when only used for impregnating.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you are saying to use the plastic as a mold basically, then remove it and glue it back together?

do you know of any place that I could send my pieces and they would cover them for me?

how much epoxy does that amount out to be? i see the physical amount, but would that be enough resin and hardener to do what i need it for?

and what is impregnating?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 PM

8oz fabric = 4.5 oz of resin. MaxClr is 24oz so it would do 42.66 oz of fabric. All fabrics are different weight, you will generally use 5.7-6.0oz per yd fabric. A yard is generally 42-50" wide by 36" long. So with 24oz of resin you should be able to do 7 yds of 6oz fabric(21ft X 42-50"). Keepin mind depending on thepurpose of the desired piece, you may need 2-3 layers of CF. So you would probably see 2-3 yds of finished product with 24oz of resin.Ive learned its kind of an art to determine how much resin you will need and with the fiberglass resin, how much hardener to add depending on temp. The Max Clr is mixed the same all the time no variations for temp. ( I believe).

As for sending them out, yes I have seen a guy who does that but be prepared to drop a pretty penny on it $$$$$$.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM

so for an application like this which is solely cosmetic and will have no structural support relying on the CF, I realize it may be necessary to add a second or third layer of resin on top for depth, but would I need to use more than 1 layer of CF?

just so its clear, i have tried to do as much reading as i could for this, so i have a basic understanding of what needs to be done. just wanted to clarify specifics since its hard to pull them from non-specific how-tos.

thanks for the help btw.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM

Impregnating is saturating the carbon fiber before you apply it to the mold/piece. You lay the piece out and sgueegy the resin all over it removing the excess and any air bubbles(bad).

1 layer of cf is flimsy. 2 for cosmetic and 3+ for structural. I would use cf for all layers, for more bracing strength, kevlar is used in combination or carbon kevlar.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM

I used 3 for door panel trim and 4 for the center. I applyed it on the actual dash pieces though. Yours may be a little hard since its on tt and what not.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 PM

jeez, so that is why it gets so expensive. hopefully i can get a good deal on the resin.

so 2 layers it is. are you supposed to allow it to cure before adding the second layer? if so, is there any wet sanding or cleaning off the blush between layers?

Old 01-29-2007, 06:23 PM

You are gonna just have to experiment rrasco. This stuff is fun to do but extremely messy, stinky, and frustrating at times. You will see what I mean. Let the layers cure only takes bout an hour. I buy cf on ebay from people who steal it from work, so you can find some cheaper deals now and then, helpful for practice. And you dont really need to waste that much on practice, 4x8" piece and a few drops of resin. Oh yea I hope you like to sand too.

Are you talking the triangleside panels on an rr??
First layer on mine, note the tiny bumps that now must be sanded then covered with the econd layer[:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10211/410E81F14AF947D98A39221314DC955D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 PM

I let mine cure just because I didnt know how strong it would be after each layer.After the first layer cured, up a second piece on, smoothed it out, and a took a small brush to the sides and hit it with a little resin also, just to make sure it would hole. I only wetsanded the edges to get it smooth when I was done. I never did anything in between.... thats just me though

Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 PM

those are not the pieces i had originally intended to do, but i had thought of that earlier, didnt know how it would come out on a red bike. im talking about these...im not even 100% sure I am going to do them, but it looks good on some of the F4s I have seen them on.

i also realize this is not going to be easy and will take a bit of practice to get the technique down, but i always like to find out everything i possible can prior to attempting anything. thanks for all the help though, im sure i will have more ?s once i start.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/C4E58A4AC7514D449900E01434878EB5.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber?