Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Car Fax

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Fax

trying to sell my car and want to run a car fax on my own car to show to potential buyers .. anyone have any time left before their subscription runs out to run one for me?

If so, it'll be much appreciated, if not, i'll quit being a cheapskate and buy a membership. thx

Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car Fax

I can get one from another forum if you want.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Here's a link to a "AutoChex" which is a similar service - Replace the VIN with yours and you should get the detail you're looking for.

http://www.lithia.com/index.cfm?acti...KS53B8MU816260

Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
RCR

My wife totaled her jeep a few years ago and we bought it back with a salvaged title (plus still had the original title) and about a year later we got it road ready and it actually registerd under the original title with out a hiccup.

We did run a car fax report and it came back clean. I would never trust one of those reports after that. We ended up selling it to a friend of ours that knew all about the accident and he received a clean title when he transferd everything to his name. Maybe it was one of those slipped through the cracks things.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: mycvil

Here's a link to a "AutoChex" which is a similar service - Replace the VIN with yours and you should get the detail you're looking for.

Is this a pay service? If not than this is a great alternative to carfax.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I just read a neat article a few days back about how easy it is to get a clean car fax report, i will have to see if i can dig it up again, but as RCR said i would never use one. I would take it to a good technician long before i trust a piece of paper. I realize you are selling Kewl and not buying, but you could still take it to a shop and get a full inspection on it to show people, i have a few customers that have done that before.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: flashman

ORIGINAL: mycvil

Is this a pay service? If not than this is a great alternative to carfax.
Sort of...

Lithia allows anyone to run a check on the cars in their inventory, however they don't restrict the autocheck capabilities to autos actively in their inventory. - They kind of hide their website and don't allow you to change it, but if you can get to it, copy it, and paste it into any browser, a simple modification allows you to run ANY VIN - The one listedis my '91 Seville.

As for the accuracy, a lot depends on the state you live in. - Many give out NO information at all, others tell all (everytime the reg. is renewed).

Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 AM

/\/\ I was going to say, if that is a pay service, they have horrible developers.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Retired Moderator

Thanks Doods!! I knew I could count on you guys

Just curious, I've never ordered a CarFax report and this is what flashman's guy came up with .. I thought there was more to the report but I've never ordered one before ... is this generally all the info. they supply?

Purchased:1996Type:PersonalWhere:Georgia Est. miles/year:6,205/yrEst. length owned:11/15/96 - present
(11 yrs. 3 mo.)
Date:Mileage:Source:Comments:11/15/1996 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Woodstock, GA Registered as
personal vehicle 11/23/1996 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Acworth, GA Vehicle purchase reported 01/22/1997 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Woodstock, GA
Title #xxxxxx Title or registration issued
First owner reported 10/05/1999 27,465 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/11/2001 39,219 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/18/2003 50,141 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/19/2004 55,158 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/25/2005 59,805 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/17/2006 64,507 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/26/2007 69,126 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection 07/31/2007 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Acworth, GA
Title #0000000xxxxx Registration issued or renewed
Vehicle color noted as Black
CARFAX 1-Owner vehicle! These vehicles are often worth a higher price because they tend to be consistently driven and maintained.
Low mileage! This owner drove an estimated 6,205 miles per year, lower than the industry average of 15,000 miles. These vehicles can be a better value.

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

I just read a neat article a few days back about how easy it is to get a clean car fax report, i will have to see if i can dig it up again, but as RCR said i would never use one. I would take it to a good technician long before i trust a piece of paper. I realize you are selling Kewl and not buying, but you could still take it to a shop and get a full inspection on it to show people, i have a few customers that have done that before.
Yah, I agree. I don't put too much faith into any of these reports either but I'm trying to make the buyer feel as comfortable with the potential purchase as possible. My problem is thusly; there are absolutely no problems with this vehicle mechanically or otherwise (well none more than can be expected of a 10 year old car) but the "Check Engine" light remains on and the code is for a "Cam Shaft" sensor. The Cam Shaft sensor has been replaced with a new one (car runs fine, no problems) but the light continues to remain on. When they reset the light, it stays off for about 30 minutes and then comes back on again. I try to tell buyers there are NO PROBLEMS with the car and it's just the light that's faulty but it makes it a difficult sell. It wouldn't be a problem but you can't disconnect the light or the car won't start and if the light is on you can't get an emissions testing done. I tell buyers all they need to do is go to autozone and have the light reset and just go to the nearest emissions testing and have it done before it comes back on .. NO PROBLEM .. but they give me the wtf inquisitive look. So all I'm doing is trying to do everything I can (like a CarFax report) to show everything is on the up and up.

btw, they want an insane amount to diagnose and fix the light [:@] I need thirdgen to come over and pull some of his magic tricks on it

Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 PM

What Make/Model/Year car is it anyways? - Frequently there are more than 1 cam sensors...

Do you have the exact code? - Dealers almost ALWAYS = "Insane" amounts to diagnose/fix.

As for the emissions thing - I think they have some goofy "Ready" mode on the emissions that require the car to have a full drive/cold cycle before they can certify them. - AKA - it needs to be cold, warm up, without the codes being cleared before they will consider the emissions system complete/correct. - Won't matter to you, but you may not want to mislead the buyer.