Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Car company bailout post

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car company bailout post

Well I think it was a great response he wrote. No one can speak for everyone but I drove trucks for 5 years and delivered to Ford daily and their suppliers (axles) and I have not seen a lazier bunch of workers in my life. No joke they were also very arrogant and I seen many of them acting like the teacher left the classroom when you were in school and had fun until she came back was pretty much the atmosphere there. I also know and are friends with several Ford employees from both of the plants that are here in Louisville Ky. and they are so overpaid it's unreal. I have always thought to myself what is the difference between a factory worker or dock worker for Ford at 20+ dollars an hour and the same position at another factory and the only difference I see is about half the pay and a person without a so they actually work to keep their job. All that being said I don't want bad things to happen to American auto workers I just wish they would have listened to the consumer years ago instead of acting like they just found out that their products are inferior and not what the consumer wants.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 AM
RCR
Default RE: Car company bailout post

ORIGINAL: jackalo626

I just wish they would have listened to the consumer years ago instead of acting like they just found out that their products are inferior and not what the consumer wants.
They did listen. Thats why every driveway had an SUV sitting in it. It only became a problem when fuel hit record highs.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM

Alternative energy sources are, I think,
and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95camaro01f4i
in my opinion i thing while it does hit a few key point its a very general over site that really doesn't touch on allot of the true problems facing Detroit. i think that there is alot of filler crap in there like about his kids to make what he is trying to talk about more legitimate in fill in for his lack of understanding and the complecity of the situation.

for example the bank bail out. look what happen to stockes when just one major bank/investment company colapsed. not only that but bandks are FDIC insured so if there was a mass of amount of bank colapses in the united states the goverment would have been paying out billions any way. At least with the current "bail out" the goverment has bought assets into thease companies or given them loans so most of the money should be recouperated.
No. The fact that stocks went down is irrelevant. But they went down because of the realization of all the toxic assets the big banks held on their books and the flight from financials sold several banks down to deep lows.

You seem to think that the money received through FDIC would yield the same result as the current bailout plan. You're wrong. While the bailout provides a net for the companies who wrote bad loans and packaged them up into widely traded mystery mortgage securities, the FDIC money would go straight to the customers of these banks as compensation for their lost deposits when some banks inevitably collapse. So while the government's plan props up bad business models, you would probably see the money from FDIC end up in more regional banks as people become wary of sticking their savings into big box banks. Then the regional banks (who tend to have more personal relationships with their clients) would have the ability to loan more and these banks are strengthened.

Its called capitalism and its how you weed out the good companies from the bad. Meanwhile, we have banks that should have failed which are now recovering under the guise of a false business atmosphere. The government wants to structure the economic landscape to work for these banks instead of supporting the banks that have properly managed with respect to the economic conditions.

My dad works for Citigroup and so I have as much reason as anyone to want to see these banks get help. I don't want him to lose his job. But I have a hard time giving sympathy (much in the same way as the auto manufacturers) to anyone who leveraged themselves 35 to 1 and didn't think those practices would ever come back to bite them. Just like I wouldn't support the auto companies that can't keep up with their customer's needs. Just like I wouldn't support anyone with archaic labor practices. Just like I wouldn't invest in a company that had huge legacy costs and a sense of entitlement.

America needs to get its head out of its *** and realize that hard work is supposed to be hard and sometimes you just have to haul some $hit to make a garden grow. Let the bad ones fail and allow the strongest of the pack to rise to the top, I say.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
March 2009 ROTM

What i think would fix all of this.

there are roughly 40,000,000 people over the age of 50 in todays workforce. give them a retirement package of 1,000,000 each BUT they must fully retire which will open of 40,000,000 new jobs, and must buy an american built vehicle, and must pay off thier mortgage with remaining funds.

So with this we solve unemployment, the auto industry gets back on its feet and the credit problems gets some help as well.

Now 40,000,000 times 1,000,000 is 40,000,000,000,000
Yes 40 Trillion, but since obama has been giving money out
like candy what is an extra 36 trillion to what he has already
loaned out to corporations that has misused the funds anyways.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terry31
Alternative energy sources are, I think,
and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.
That's not true at all. What's going to replace oil and gas?

The only thing that's around the same price -- much cheaper actually -- is coal. Coal is by far the cheapest source of energy available to man and none of the "alternatives" are even close to being competitive with oil, natural gas, and coal. We're talking 3 cents per kilowatt-hour to burn coal. And guess what.. our coal reserves, like our oil reserves, don't hold a candle to the ones in other countries which are less than supportive of the U.S. Meanwhile, the kyoto protocol has made it both expensive and slow for any country to get nuclear programs going; which incidentallly have been shown to be very low-risk and produce much less waste than burning coal or oil.

If you think the developing countries of the world are going to take solar, wind, or hydro-electric power which range from 30 to 50 cents per kilowatt-hour to produce over oil or cheaper coal at a tenth of the cost or less to meet their growing energy needs, then you are either naive or underinformed.

You are never going to stop the human race from burning cheap, easy fossil fuels.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

I believe solar thermal energy will be the future. All you have to do is build the plant have some salt and then you can get unlimited energy. Most sell for 10 cents for a Kwh but some have claimed to be able to do 6 or so.

A good read on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_thermal_energy

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM

We are all in a World of **** now and that guy nailed every possible point!

United We Stand-Divided We Fall
We are a 50/50 Country now...

Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 AM

I don't know about other union factories, but the one I work at the production people get paid hourly plus rate. (incentive) I'm maintenance so I don't get that kind of bonus. It was hard to get used to taking extended breaks, but if there is nothing to do, then what else do you do? If you are swamped then someone will have to wait.

As for what was posted, there were a lot of events that led up to this. I think high gas prices started it, and it avalanched from there.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 AM

The big three have been doing us an injustice for a long time. Has anyone seen what some of those CEO's and top administrators made the past ten years, there salaries combined could have bailed out there own companies. If the companies would have SAVED profits instead of pissing them away with waste and greed they wouldn't need a bailout. If they would have produced quality like the Japanese, Germans, and hell even Koreans they would still be selling automobiles.
And not a single person on here can argue that we were producing just as good products or else we would be riding a Harley Davidson CBR, and not a Honda. Hell I owned a 92 Toyota Corolla for a almost ten years and my biggest mechanical issue was an alternator. I drove that through my high school and college days, beat the **** out of it and it now has a new young driver that probably does the same but I see it driving around all the time.
We as Americans are smart enough and strong enough to compete with anything, but it's all been washed away by Greed.

Quick Reply: Car company bailout post