Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Car company bailout post

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Car company bailout post

If people all thought and acted the way you do/did, and had the same work ethic, industry in general wouldn't be in the sad state in which it finds itself.
It's not particular to the US, we have it here where garbage removal workers are paid far more than they are worth, which comes out of my property rates, so I'm paying high wages for surly belligerent mediocrity.
Unless countries start taking a harder line in respect of productivity and wages, things will only deteriorate.
We don't get what we pay for, anymore.............

Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the UAW and overregulation by the government is why we have such serious problems in the American vehicle industry.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not just the UAW.
Look at all labour-related production costs, and you'll see why the eastern economies are booming, while we in the west are falling on our collective butts.
People should be paid what they're worth.
There's a welding unit manufacturer in the US that doesn't pay benefits, and doesn't need to recruit or fire people - if you can't keep up, the workforce will get you out. Everyone works on a pay per unit basis, and make good wages. I reckon they wouldn't even know if there was a recession.........
The world needs more of it.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 AM

The UAW is a huge problem, though I think the government overregulation is even bigger.

Legacy pay and so many more things are killing the auto industry here. I mean for God's sake, look at the regulations places like Japan have on American automobiles, but not the other way around. Emissions rules, etc etc are just killing us domestically.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCR

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

for example the bank bail out. look what happen to stockes when just one major bank/investment company colapsed. not only that but bandks are FDIC insured so if there was a mass of amount of bank colapses in the united states the goverment would have been paying out billions any way. At least with the current "bail out" the goverment has bought assets into thease companies or given them loans so most of the money should be recouperated.

these arnt truely bail outs either that the banks or the big three are looking to get there loans. the term bail out is being used becuase the media wants to put a negetive spin on the situation.
Thats right, banks are FDIC insured. After the bank goes bankrupt, the FDIC pays the 100,000/ 250,000 to the person that lost their money. Thats why we have insurance. Do you really think the goverment would be paying this out of their pocket? The insurance money that is paid out comes from an account that each bank pays into. example if I got a 30,000 loan at 5% interest, the bank pays the insurance company 1/4% of that 5% interest amount. (not exact numbers hence example)

Now on top of that, the bailout money was to allow the banks to keep lending cash. They have stopped lending cash for two reasons. They need that money to make their books look good for the company to keep their credit ratings, second they have learned a lesson about loaning out money to us, we no longer have credibility because they screwed us so bad their not sure we will have a job anymore to fully payback the loans. (in short they F-ed the economy and were paying)

Take a look back at the stock market in the eighties. there were no day traders, the market was stable. I invest on a raising stock and lose my *** the next day after all profits have been taken by these voulters. Your a fool to think about long term investing anymore. Ever watch "Mad Money" with Jim Kramer? He is the worst, teaching people how to get in and out very quickly.
did not know that i did look into it and your right though about the FDIC . though after some more research it seems like the FDIC had no where near enogh money to withstand a lot of banks going under. they only keep 58billion in reserves. what happens when they run out of money?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:49 AM

That article is not full of *fillers* and he absolutely knows what he's talking about.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:28 AM

http://www.knoxmachinery.com/financial.html http://www.knoxmachinery.com/business.html hmmm whats a tool shop doing pretending to be a bank? Can any one say conartists?

He's only been in buisness for 10 years, and services the southwest of ohio. And yet he thinks he's smarter then a multinational corporation,thats been in buisness since 1897?

Most of that was just hot air and rhetoric. It's not that the workers are "lazy" or over paid. It's that the worlds completly in a mess. All the manufactuers are in trouble. I think this is just social manipulation, so that GM can move it's factorys to places like china, and you will be thankfull to them for it.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:14 AM
November 2009 ROTM

China has a labour force of 800,000,000.............................
No one can compete with that.Yet,China will have a "Recession",like the rest of us.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM
RCR

ORIGINAL: RCR

for example the bank bail out. look what happen to stockes when just one major bank/investment company colapsed. not only that but bandks are FDIC insured so if there was a mass of amount of bank colapses in the united states the goverment would have been paying out billions any way. At least with the current "bail out" the goverment has bought assets into thease companies or given them loans so most of the money should be recouperated.

these arnt truely bail outs either that the banks or the big three are looking to get there loans. the term bail out is being used becuase the media wants to put a negetive spin on the situation.
Thats right, banks are FDIC insured. After the bank goes bankrupt, the FDIC pays the 100,000/ 250,000 to the person that lost their money. Thats why we have insurance. Do you really think the goverment would be paying this out of their pocket? The insurance money that is paid out comes from an account that each bank pays into. example if I got a 30,000 loan at 5% interest, the bank pays the insurance company 1/4% of that 5% interest amount. (not exact numbers hence example)

Now on top of that, the bailout money was to allow the banks to keep lending cash. They have stopped lending cash for two reasons. They need that money to make their books look good for the company to keep their credit ratings, second they have learned a lesson about loaning out money to us, we no longer have credibility because they screwed us so bad their not sure we will have a job anymore to fully payback the loans. (in short they F-ed the economy and were paying)

Take a look back at the stock market in the eighties. there were no day traders, the market was stable. I invest on a raising stock and lose my *** the next day after all profits have been taken by these voulters. Your a fool to think about long term investing anymore. Ever watch "Mad Money" with Jim Kramer? He is the worst, teaching people how to get in and out very quickly.
did not know that i did look into it and your right though about the FDIC . though after some more research it seems like the FDIC had no where near enogh money to withstand a lot of banks going under. they only keep 58billion in reserves. what happens when they run out of money?

That $58 billion is to cover the customer only, not the bad loans the bank made.

if it goes over the reserve held,thats where the goverment steps in and pays the rest. After the dust settles the banks that managed to ride it out by keeping proper books and that gave smarter loans will intern repay the insurance back over due time (This type of failure would not happen again for a long time).

Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

ORIGINAL: TheX
You're right – it's not JUST management…how about the electricians who walk around the plants like lords in feudal times, making people wait on them for countless hours while they drag a$$…so they can come in on the weekend and make double and triple time…for a job they easily could have done within their normal 40 hour week.

How about the line workers who threaten newbies with all kinds of scare tactics…for putting out too many parts on a shift…and for being too productive (mustn't expose the lazy bums who have been getting overpaid for decades for their horrific underproduction, must we?!?) Do you really not know about this stuff?!?

How right he is. Forty-five or so years ago I worked for a smelter in Montana. My second or third day there I was told my car would be vandalized or I would be beaten for pushing a broom for thirty seconds or so after the break whistle blew. "Don't give the company anything," were the goons parting words. As a dock laborer I cooled my heels for hours while fork lift operators took extended breaks - really extended breaks. If s really cared about keeping jobs they'd be in there weeding out the lazy and incapable instead of protecting them.

That smelter no longer exists, by the way. After the last of several strikes the company operated for about six weeks and then shut down. Now there's nothing but an empty hillside and several hundred fewer jobs in the area.

Quick Reply: Car company bailout post