Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

cant seam to turn as well

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant seam to turn as well

i have been practicing leaning off the bike.

there is a nice bend thats real clean and easy to see around i have been practicing it on near my house. i take the turn at 40 in a neutral position and about the same when i hang off. when i am in a neutral position i could go faster, i am not taking it to the edge of the tires.

when i am hanging off it does not seam like i am leaning as much. i get thats somewhat the point but i always end up going wider. if i am not hanging off i can stay in the middle of my lane but if i am hanging off i go closer to the double yellows so i will not attempt to go faster hanging off even thought i could go faster not hanging off. there are big slits cut all the way around on the yellow lines and i am afraid if i hit them down i will go.

so i am woundering what am i doing wrong? i have read many posts and sites about body position and i think i am doing it right.

i start by getting on the ***** of my feet, i slide my butt off keeping like half of one cheak on seat, i get low lean forward and to the inside trying to look through my mirror. i keep my torso inline with the rest of my body. i have my outside arm resting on the tank and my weight on the inside peg.

i have read some people say you should not be putting your weight on the pegs but your outside thigh on the tank. i tried this and there is no way to hold all my weight with my thigh.

i dont know if once i start the lean if i just dont push more to keep from going wide or what. i am not getting my knee down either so i know i have room to lean. i may not be sticking it out very far though. i am not real worried about getting a knee down i just want to figure out why i can take the turn faster not hanging off.

one thing i am confused about though is when i hang off most of the time i am taking the rear tire to the edge or very close to it, but when i dont hang off i dont use the whole back tire. the front i dont get near the edge either way.

i am woundering if i am getting on the throttle more coming out of the turn when i am not hanging off so when i am close to upright when i look at my speed its the same as when i am hanging off but when i hang off i dont give it as much throttle becuase i am concentrating on my body position but i took the turn fasterer

any advice would be great. thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Default RE: cant seam to turn as well

countersteer more

Old 05-24-2008, 11:40 AM

practice. just cause you are leaning off the bike more doesnt mean that its gonna lean more. countersteer more like nauree said

Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that got confusing, lol. my advice to you is to just wait till you're comfortable hanging off. obviously hanging off the bike is the way to go to take the corner quicker, as you've already stated you understand that. is it possible that when you hang off the bike, you become nervous (b/c you are no longer safely seated completely on the seat) and cant bring yourself to go faster even though you are capable, since you're hanging off?

i touched my knees down for the 1st time the day before my wreck and it was the best day EVER! i wasnt out trying to do it, i just took the turn and felt comforable, body position was good....next thing i know my knee was scraping , i ended up being able to do it 5 or 6 times that day......realizing that if my body position was correct i could prob. do it almost any turn.

just wait till you're comfortable hanging off the bike. next thing you know it'll feel natural.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM

2 Things. ONe... make sure your hips "face" the turn. AKA, if your going right, turn your hips to you are "Facing" the turn. Basically, like your turning your body to face the corner. A common mistake I've come accross is people "hang" off the bike, and their body gets turned "away" from the turn. If your hips are turned to "face" the turn, it increases the contact area of your inner thigh on the tank (the "outside" edge, in reference to the turn), and helps get your body lined up.

Second... grab a copy of Keith Codes "Twist of the Wrist" and "Twist of the Wrist 2". I highly reccomend reading the second one... the first is more technical and I found it harder to "stick with" until I'd read the second book. The first is more about lines and the bike... the second book seems to have a lot more info about body position, where you keep your weight (in the pegs) and all that kind of thing. So go get a copy of "Keith Code: Twist of the Wrist 2" and dive in!

<edit> Oh yeah... in the book you'll also get an explination as to why you want your weight on the OUTSIDE peg... not the inside.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:09 PM

all right i am going to pick up the book today. i hope they have it at boarders.

i am going to try the face your hips things.

also how is it possible to weight the outside peg? it seams you would fall off. i have almost no weight on my outside peg.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:18 PM

i just went out to practice some more. i always concentrated to much on my knee becuase i do not have knee pucks so i did not want them to hit the ground. so i kept my knee fromt hanging to low. i went around wide and leaned over in to it more. i defintaley got over more concentrating on the steering more.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Not to bea dick, but my guess is you have no idea what you're doing and until you do I'd knock off the hanging off.

My guess is that your body position is all wrong. Just hanging a cheek off the seat isn't hanging off.

Sorry, I'm in a pissy mood.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

practice makes perfect.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:16 PM

I fount that hanging off, for me that is, is the worse possible thing. If you go monkey style I get tired a crap load faster. My legs and arms start killing me from trying to hang onto the bike. I fount the best way is just basiclly lay down on the bike and point my head foward and to whatever siding im turning into to. Maybe get a little cheek off the side but not much. I let all the countersteering do the work. I am able to take a turn thats at the end of an exit ramp from the interstate, its a 90 degree turn, at 60-70mph.

Quick Reply: cant seam to turn as well