Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Canadian National anthem not in english

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian National anthem not in english

so I am not sure how many canadians are around these forums but Bruce Allan is a part of the 2010 winter olympics and there are people trying to get him fired for him not wanting to sing the anthem in Hindi or any other language besides english/fench. here is a link to a site about what he said but Read up a little on Bruce Allen and see what you think because I love the guy for what he says.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Canada10/petition.html

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Canadian National anthem not in english

Bruce Allan"

"I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough. Nowhere or at no other time in our Nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, or any other language because of immigration."

I have nothing against immigrants, they come here searching for a better life and good luck to them. but its such bull**** that Canada keeps bending over backwards to not offend these people. Immigrants should be adapting to Canada's way of life, not the other way around. If you dont like it leave.....

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr.Fingers

Bruce Allan"

"I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough. Nowhere or at no other time in our Nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, or any other language because of immigration."

I have nothing against immigrants, they come here searching for a better life and good luck to them. but its such bull**** that Canada keeps bending over backwards to not offend these people. Immigrants should be adapting to Canada's way of life, not the other way around. If you dont like it leave.....
I agree with ya on that one Fingers, I meansome oftheclosest people in my life are imagrants and I have nothing againstthatbut just like you said people goto a new place to find a better life and yet they expect there new home torespect them like there oldhome did. I just like the fact that there are so many people trying to get Bruce Allan fired for his comments even though none of his comments were un true or bad to anyone. Canada is how it is if you dont like it find a new home. lol sorry I could talk all day about this kindastuff

Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I to have nothing against imigrants. I am an imigrant. I moved to Canada from Scotland in 1980 and I figured that I am in someone elses Country so it's time to be a Canadian. I am very proud of where I came from and very proud of where I am currently. I would not ask Canadians to bend over for me so that I could feel more at home. If I want to feel like I was in Scotland, I should move back home.
I find it ridiculous that they are asking Canada to sing their National Anthem in any other langauge other than english or french. I personally find this a slap in the face. If you don't like the Country because it is not like your home land, then move back. Accept the fact you are no longer in your home land and fit in. I am not saying you have to give up your previous life but you can not move in and demand that we conform to you.
Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but we all know what opinion are like and we all have one, some are just bigger than others.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cwmc29

I to have nothing against imigrants. I am an imigrant. I moved to Canada from Scotland in 1980 and I figured that I am in someone elses Country so it's time to be a Canadian. I am very proud of where I came from and very proud of where I am currently. I would not ask Canadians to bend over for me so that I could feel more at home. If I want to feel like I was in Scotland, I should move back home.
I find it ridiculous that they are asking Canada to sing their National Anthem in any other langauge other than english or french. I personally find this a slap in the face. If you don't like the Country because it is not like your home land, then move back. Accept the fact you are no longer in your home land and fit in. I am not saying you have to give up your previous life but you can not move in and demand that we conform to you.
Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but we all know what opinion are like and we all have one, some are just bigger than others.
I am not an imagrant myself, i am dual between Canada/USA so I have lived in both and it takes a little bit of time to adjust to the country but like you said as long as you know its not going to be the exact home you came from it is a nice change. I like going back and forth every several years just for the change

Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM

wow,didnt know canada has these problems too.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: aj_jensen73

I to have nothing against immigrants. I am an immigrant. I moved to Canada from Scotland in 1980 and I figured that I am in someone elses Country so it's time to be a Canadian. I am very proud of where I came from and very proud of where I am currently. I would not ask Canadians to bend over for me so that I could feel more at home. If I want to feel like I was in Scotland, I should move back home.
I find it ridiculous that they are asking Canada to sing their National Anthem in any other language other than english or french. I personally find this a slap in the face. If you don't like the Country because it is not like your home land, then move back. Accept the fact you are no longer in your home land and fit in. I am not saying you have to give up your previous life but you can not move in and demand that we conform to you.
I am not an immigrant myself, i am dual between Canada/USA so I have lived in both and it takes a little bit of time to adjust to the country but like you said as long as you know its not going to be the exact home you came from it is a nice change. I like going back and forth every several years just for the change
how much time did it take you to adjust? when i was in Canada the only difference I noticed was that the money was different and they let me drink (i was 19 at the time). I think i have had more of a culture shock going from state to state.

back on topic singing THE NATIONAL ANTHEM should not be in another countries language. I feel other countries have a double standard when it comes to things like that. You will never see a country like France or Germany singing their national anthem in english, why? because its their national anthem.

My friends brother in law is french, and he is a cool guy, but if you pronounce his name wrong he gets pissed. his name is Charlie but its pronounced with a "Sha" in stead of a "Cha" sound, which i don't have a problem with, its his name. but at the same time he and other french people say my name with a "gzyuh" (i have no idea how to type that sound phonetically). I really don't care how you say my name, I respond to Jorge (horhey) as well, but if you are going to stress how people pronounce your name then get theirs right.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Gville George

I to have nothing against immigrants. I am an immigrant. I moved to Canada from Scotland in 1980 and I figured that I am in someone elses Country so it's time to be a Canadian. I am very proud of where I came from and very proud of where I am currently. I would not ask Canadians to bend over for me so that I could feel more at home. If I want to feel like I was in Scotland, I should move back home.
I find it ridiculous that they are asking Canada to sing their National Anthem in any other language other than english or french. I personally find this a slap in the face. If you don't like the Country because it is not like your home land, then move back. Accept the fact you are no longer in your home land and fit in. I am not saying you have to give up your previous life but you can not move in and demand that we conform to you.
I am not an immigrant myself, i am dual between Canada/USA so I have lived in both and it takes a little bit of time to adjust to the country but like you said as long as you know its not going to be the exact home you came from it is a nice change. I like going back and forth every several years just for the change
how much time did it take you to adjust? when i was in Canada the only difference I noticed was that the money was different and they let me drink (i was 19 at the time). I think i have had more of a culture shock going from state to state.

back on topic singing THE NATIONAL ANTHEM should not be in another countries language. I feel other countries have a double standard when it comes to things like that. You will never see a country like France or Germany singing their national anthem in english, why? because its their national anthem.

My friends brother in law is french, and he is a cool guy, but if you pronounce his name wrong he gets pissed. his name is Charlie but its pronounced with a "Sha" in stead of a "Cha" sound, which i don't have a problem with, its his name. but at the same time he and other french people say my name with a "gzyuh" (i have no idea how to type that sound phonetically). I really don't care how you say my name, I respond to Jorge (horhey) as well, but if you are going to stress how people pronounce your name then get theirs right.

Well I have lived in California USA, Saskatchewan Canada, Florida USA, and British Columbia Canada, and yes I would agree that even changing states is a big culture change but it never takes me more then a week or 2 to get adjusted, the first thing I do when I move is I go to the local police station to find out any law changes that Ill need to know and stuff like that, one of the bigger differences between Canada/USA that I have found is the health plan in Canada that USA does not have set up the same. I enjoy change though so its fun learning new things when I move.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gville George

When I moved to Canada from Scotland I was just shy of my 9th birthday. I had a very strong accent at the time and got into a lot of fights because of it. Being so young I did everything I could to loose the accent soI could fit in. I just wanted to fit in and make friends. Now I wish I had the accent back. The ladies dig it.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 AM

I immigrated here in '96 from Austria and I wouldn't expect them to sing the national anthem in german... Like come on that's such bs... if you move to a different country you adapt to their ways of doing things and if you can't adapt then maybe it's not where you're supposed to be.

Quick Reply: Canadian National anthem not in english