Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Can you shine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you shine?

OK... I cannot get my newer bikes to shine like I could on my older bikes... is it because they are mostly plastic now?

How do you get the deep, rich shine? Is it possible?

I used to be able to have the most shiny bike around, but all my old tricks don't seem to work on the newer bikes.

This was my Honda Valkyrie that I sold about 2 years ago.

There is now way I can get any of my current bikes to shine like this. Why?????

[IMG]local://upfiles/3951/71D11950F04B4B01AA2DCF3CB07111CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Can you shine?

i'd say being mostly plastic has something to do with it. that and also our bikes don't have as much chrome (which really SHINES) as cruisers bikes.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Retired Administrator

I think he's talking about the paint... looks like different types of pants. Look at some of my pics, you can see the reflection of the driveway in the lower fairing and tail and also trees on the tank. I'm guess that since our paint is over plastic, they use a different finishing process that doesn't cause a mirror like shine that you are use to.

Name:  DSC_0138.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  150.4 KB

Old 03-18-2006, 11:00 PM

Looks to me like doncollins bike has a pretty nice shine to it. If you have ever noticed 6hundred_doubleR's bike; his damn near glows in the dark!

I need to get some Honda polish.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:36 AM

Don, what do you use to make your bike shine... I already use the Honda Polish - I buy it by the case. Do you do anything else?

I have tried all the good waxes I had before, but they don't really seem to do the trick. What's your secret?

Old 03-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Retired Administrator

I've tried Dupont's Teflon Spray wax and it works great. A lot more effort... but I get better results with Honda Polish.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 AM

I only use Honda Polish.

That and my bike has never seen rain.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:34 AM

Both of those bikes are awesome... I guess I just need to start off my new bike right and just use the Honda polish. Maybe I was trying too many different things instead of keeping it simple.

You guys give me something to shoot for. [sm=bling.gif]

Old 03-19-2006, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE BIKES!!!!!!!! has any one try'd that cyrstal glow stuff!!!!!! great write ups. My paint buddys say it all about getting the base rubbed out properly, to start w/.
That would be my experiance w/ buffing of metals. I geeked, when i learned about working up to 2000 grt wet and dry, on alum, before the buffing begines!!!!!!!!!!! who says obbsesion, is unrewarded????? I bought a 860 gts duc, mint, clean enough to lick!!!!!!!!! In my front room, it went !!!!!!(yes, Im divorced!!!!) 2, (half into my 3rd) packs of 320 Q-tips, both ends too, the engine was... closer to done!!!!!!!!!!!! You couldn't see any dirt, to start w/. Sick and twisted!!!!!!!! for those that share the "need", I understand... It's just good clean fun!!!!!!!! may i recomend the meetings in the back, at bubba's stake house, 7:00 pm!!!!! Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys !!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n P.S. sometime i'll tell you about buff'n out, used 5 ft stainless headers, off a circle track car, 6 hours each, ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2006, 07:21 PM

The shine is a function of the number of coats of clear coat. Plastic pieces aren't going to get as many coats as metal.

Check out the shine on this bad boy..... By the way, I frequently use Honda polish to touch it up......

Quick Reply: Can you shine?