Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Can you help with consoling advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help with consoling advice?

As some of you may know, I'm a senior in high school and got accepted to West Point back in early November. Now, a couple of my close friends (1 guy and a pair of twins) decided to apply with me for an unprecedented 4 applicants to WP this year. Starting with me, 1 by 1 we started to receive our acceptance letters and all of us were overjoyed. However, during snowboarding season, 1 of the twins took a nasty fall and his lung collapsed. It was considered to be a minor injury according to his doctor and he made a full recovery within a month. However, he was required to report his case to the Dept. of Defense Medical Review Board and they have deemed him medically disqualified for service and has thus gotten his acceptance from the military academy revoked.

Now, if it were any college, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, people get rejected all the time. But applying to West Point is another story and is a true ordeal. We trained for half a year for the physical test (18 pullups, 95 situps, 75 pushups, shuttle run, and mile run under a time limit), had to apply for a senatorial and congressional nominations as well, we had countless interviews, had to get background checks (which are a true pain if you're a minor...you have to go to juvenile court, etc), and the list just goes on and on. Applying to West Point is probably like applying to 10 colleges in 1.

The worst part is that he had already been accepted. Now, it has been stripped away and he will be losing his twin brother. (They were really pumped up when they both got accepted) We had gone through so much together in the application process and to see all that just thrown out the window is truly a pain. Today at school he told me that he woke up in the middle of the night and finally realized that he wouldn't be going to West Point and said he almost cried. I don't know if he actually did cry or not, but I have never ever seen him even close to crying and it looked like he really meant it. I tried to make him feel better and did everything I could to encourage him. I even suggested other options like ROTC so that he could focus on something else instead of his rejection. But he's been feeling really down lately and I think I've tried everything I could, do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do to console him? Sounds somewhat gay, but..I'd appreciate your guys' help. Thanks.

Last edited by Dominate.; 05-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM

There is probubly a process to appeal the review and have another one done. Get multiple doctors reports saying that there is no remaining problems. If he doen't get through that way, ROTC is an option. My cousin is a pilot in the Air Force. He was in the ROTC program all the way through high school and college. He recieved a 4 year degree from a outside college. After his college he went into the direct commision program. It is another method in. Also, after their training was complete it is exstremely unlikely they would see alot of each other.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Greetings,

First, thank you for your choice to serve our country. My brother-in-law attended USMA and was 4 year starter on the Army football team (Class of 2005.) He has since served in Iraq and probably the most stand-up guy I've ever met. When I was a senior in high school I visited him during summer term and got to tour the campus. What an amazing place!

I understand the heartache he is now enduring. West Point is a meant for the very elite. It is unfortunate that something as obscure as an accident could prevent this opportunity for him, but it is a cruel example of life at its finest. Officers graduating from this institution are on par with the greatest Americans we have. It is hard for him to see a positive outcome from this situation but as fine young man he will become successful no matter what path he chooses as an alternative. Tell him to hold his head high and focus on the remaining things in his life. A new day will stand for those who stand long.

I wish you and your peers the best in this endeavor.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_santini
greetings,

first, thank you for your choice to serve our country. My brother-in-law attended usma and was 4 year starter on the army football team (class of 2005.) he has since served in iraq and probably the most stand-up guy i've ever met. When i was a senior in high school i visited him during summer term and got to tour the campus. What an amazing place!

I understand the heartache he is now enduring. West point is a meant for the very elite. It is unfortunate that something as obscure as an accident could prevent this opportunity for him, but it is a cruel example of life at its finest. Officers graduating from this institution are on par with the greatest americans we have. It is hard for him to see a positive outcome from this situation but as fine young man he will become successful no matter what path he chooses as an alternative. Tell him to hold his head high and focus on the remaining things in his life. A new day will stand for those who stand long.

I wish you and your peers the best in this endeavor.
+1
+1
+1

Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM

I was rejected from a military career due to a previous lung collapse as well. I was and am in good physical condition but the military in their infinite wisdom rejected me anyways. During the application process I passed the tests with flying colors and was being directed into tech trades...So the military lost the opportunity to employ my mind repairing and troubleshooting helicopters. My only medical restriction is no scuba diving... I didn't think I'd be working on helis underwater! Oh well, life has been good and when one door closes another opens.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Tell him to get a CBR. He will have tons of time to ride it now.
And be glad it isn't you.
Like thrash said, everything happens for a reason and you never know, he might of had something worse happen to him after acceptance, or he may just have another destiny to tend to. I do not know if you or he is religious or what you believe in but there is something to it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by endless
tell him to get a cbr.
+1000

Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Has you friend thought about a traditional college? Once in he can join a ROTC unit and than apply for officer canidacy as he nears the end of his college career.

Another option would be to talk to a military recruiter, if he is accepted into a branch, he can than look into enlisted commishining (i spelled that way wrong) programs. Being in the Marine Corps and having a degree already I know there are a few of them. I have just chosen to stay enlisted. I have a friend though that is currently in a program where the Marine Corps is paying for his college and he has 4 years to complete it. Once complete he will be obligated for another 4 as an officer. The entire time he will be getting paid and has to stay active in the ROTC program. He has been enlisted for about 10 years now. There are other options. WP should not be the begin all end all. I truly understand the prestige associated with WP and the hard work that went into the acceptance there. Take that hard work and use it to find other avenues. With the physical fitness numbers you have shown, your friend will definetly pass every initial physical fitnesss test all the branches offer. I can do 23 pull-ups, 100 crunches in under 2 mins, and run 3 miles in the 20-21 min neighborhood. Tell your friend to stay positive and look for other options if the military is truly the path he wants to follow. BTW, I didn't pay for any schooling. I've be active duty for almost 9 years now and the Marine Corps has paid for all of my school....none of which has come from my GI bill which I still have has as an option to use for my masters.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM

I think it would be prudent at this juncture to make 'A Big Stink' about this. I think your friend/bro should be able to re-take, and pass, the physical fitness test required to gain Admission, and if he passes he should still get in! I also think you should write a letter to your most trusted (ha-ha) Congressman, and local news station explaining the situation, and see if you can generate a "Buzz". Don't under-estimate the power of "Popular Opinion". A Girl got into West Point not so long ago, you may remember! Are our memories so short, or our egos so large that we cannot concieve that an otherwise outstanding young man might be passed over for a career in "The Military", merely because he got hurt on the way to Basic? Had he gotten hurt during Basic, then the military would've 'Owned Him for Life'.

BTW: I had open heart surgery at the age of 3, and I am now approaching 40, and could probably pass the physical, or come damn close! The run would probably be my undoing! but at your age, it wouldv'e been garuanteed! the point is: we are only limited physically by what we percieve to be impossible! And we all know that Nothing is Impossible!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 AM

"The Military" doesn't "Own you for life." Remember it is an all volunteer force. I can't speak on other services, but in the Marines you enlist for 8 total years. 4 or 5 active and the remainder inactive reserve. Last I remember WP isn't the military per se, it is a military academy....a very good academy, but not the military.

The best thing is to let your friend know if the military is something he truly wants to do, there are options. The military has waivers for everything, and as far as I know the Army is a bit more liberal with their accepting new recruits. Another important thing to note is that he will still be able to get a college degree while active duty. Have him contact a recruiter and get more details.

Quick Reply: Can you help with consoling advice?