Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

CA DMV ride test

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA DMV ride test

So i went down to the local DMV yesterday to practice the road test. I found my balance point and my speed (6 mph) when starting out and turning left in the circle. However i am having a hard time finding the balance point when turning right...

anyone have any suggestions? I would love to just pass the test and not have to worry about the $250 motorcycle safety course.

I might also be able to take the test on a ninja 250. but that is still not for sure.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
March 2009 ROTM

I would highly suggest taking the safety course because you will learn things you may not know and be taught the correct way to operate a motorcycle.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by utter05
I would highly suggest taking the safety course because you will learn things you may not know and be taught the correct way to operate a motorcycle.
with a 2nd baby on the way... $250 isnt quite in my budget

Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM

I would think with a 2nd child on the way safty would be the 1st thing on your mind....take the course if your not so sure you will pass.....You do want to be around for your kids correct??? Just my 2 cents

Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Freak*06RR
I would think with a 2nd child on the way safty would be the 1st thing on your mind....take the course if your not so sure you will pass.....You do want to be around for your kids correct??? Just my 2 cents
i plan on taking the course eventually but the thing is i have my permit ive spent the money on that so i can take the test 3 times no cost. so i thought i would try..

Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Chief I get what your saying with the whole budget thing. Safety is very important when riding a motorcycle, and being legit is also very important. I am sure you know how to ride safely and as far as learning something new, you will learn something new every time you get on the bike just like the rest of us. No one on this forum can sit there and say that they know everything there is to know about safety when it comes to riding. I think you should take the safety course when it fits into your budget, until that time comes get your liscense through your permit that way you are legit and don't get hit with fines and everything else. I think that you are looking at being there for your kids and thats why you want to get your liscense that way you can just pull over show the cop that your legit and not have to run in fear that your bike will get taken or the other consiquenses. Do what you feel is right at your own pace and budget.

as far as the right turn and balance point is concerned, the only thing I can tell you is to practice. I imagine you couldn't find your balance point turning left right away and had to work on it. just apply the same concept turning right. be patient and you will get it.

P.S. props to you on wanting to get your liscense

Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
Chief I get what your saying with the whole budget thing. Safety is very important when riding a motorcycle, and being legit is also very important. I am sure you know how to ride safely and as far as learning something new, you will learn something new every time you get on the bike just like the rest of us. No one on this forum can sit there and say that they know everything there is to know about safety when it comes to riding. I think you should take the safety course when it fits into your budget, until that time comes get your liscense through your permit that way you are legit and don't get hit with fines and everything else. I think that you are looking at being there for your kids and thats why you want to get your liscense that way you can just pull over show the cop that your legit and not have to run in fear that your bike will get taken or the other consiquenses. Do what you feel is right at your own pace and budget.

as far as the right turn and balance point is concerned, the only thing I can tell you is to practice. I imagine you couldn't find your balance point turning left right away and had to work on it. just apply the same concept turning right. be patient and you will get it.

P.S. props to you on wanting to get your liscense

thanks for the encouraging words AmRRussel.... it is strictly for being legal at this point. i have always planned on taking the MSF. one of my friends dad rode CHP for 30 years and thought he knew it all. took the course with his son and said he learned things that he didnt learn on the force and recommends it to everyone. At this point i work with the wife and we carpool to work. when she goes on maternity leave i cannot be expected to take the car to work and leave her stranded for emergency sake so i have my bike. We work 30 mins away but it is all freeway and without my M class it is Illegal and risks getting me a ticket for a stupid reason and also losing my transportation.

I am actually apparently going to be taking the course next weekend. (19th) but i would have liked to have known i could have passed on my bike. but no worries once i am legit none of this will matter

Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by chiefF3
thanks for the encouraging words AmRRussel.... it is strictly for being legal at this point. i have always planned on taking the MSF. one of my friends dad rode CHP for 30 years and thought he knew it all. took the course with his son and said he learned things that he didnt learn on the force and recommends it to everyone. At this point i work with the wife and we carpool to work. when she goes on maternity leave i cannot be expected to take the car to work and leave her stranded for emergency sake so i have my bike. We work 30 mins away but it is all freeway and without my M class it is Illegal and risks getting me a ticket for a stupid reason and also losing my transportation.

I am actually apparently going to be taking the course next weekend. (19th) but i would have liked to have known i could have passed on my bike. but no worries once i am legit none of this will matter

Well good luck and hope everything works out..... congrats on the soon to be new baby

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered Users

DUDE! If balance is an issue for you...you totally should buy a unicycle. I bought one a few months back to keep me from losing my marbles untill i replaced my bike. Weird, but you cant tell me learning to ride a unicycle wont put you more in touch with your balance! Great exercise too!

Quick Reply: CA DMV ride test