Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buying bike tomorow

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying bike tomorow

Well after many hours of looking on craigslist I found a 1985 honda shadow vt700c. The bike has 20000 miles on it and the guy only wants $1650. It is in mint condition. This is going to be my first bike what do you guys think? Good choice bad choice. Just wanted some outside opinions on the bike.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 PM

85? does it start? title? and what are you really looking for out of a bike?
I almost went with a magna but im glad i went with a cbr....either way good luck with the purchase

Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Well I would like to get a cbr thats why I joined this site. But I leave for the navy in a month and wanted to get an older bike cheap to practice on and take my test. Once Im out of boot camp Im going to buy a cbr for sure but a cbr just can't be my first bike. The bike is perfect from what the guy has told me. It has a clean title and mostley high way miles. He said it starts with out the choke for the most part and it runs great. My dad is going with me to test drive the bike because he has been riding for 25 years and knows quite a bit about shadows and magnas. Im just looking to enjoy the basics of riding for now and get a cbr 600 f4i down the road, I just love the f4is.

Alot of the guys on this sight told me that a cbr is not for the beginning rider anyhow

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 AM

it's generally not! honestly I wanted a ninja 250r but could not get a new one since they were all sold out and Kawasaki wasn't producing enough of them to fill the demand. So... I bought my 06 F4i...

Been riding for almost a year now 9k miles 1 small drop at 8ish mph on gravel. Was hit in my front fairing from my left by a chick not paying attention when she lane changed... lucky I didn't go down. Bike got bad head-shake but otherwise wasn't a issue. This was going about 35mph. Bike has a TINY scratch from that... heck my small 5mph drop caused more damage to my bike than a car accident did lol.

outside of those 2 issues I started on a 600 and so far I'm fine! does this mean everyone will be ? hell no. If I could go back in time and start over I'd try to find a older 250r honestly. I would have better skills now in the year I've ridden compared to what I currently have.

I love twisties and I'm almost close to being able to do full knee down. Both chicken strips are gone! Usually go on a 260ish mile trip every other weekend. I'm also learning to stunt. Started with power-wheelies and now learning clutch wheelies.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 AM

also take the MSF if you can! even if you get your license trust me, it helps teach you things you probably don't know about. In Texas we have a 2 day MSF course and man did it really help reinforce things I learned while riding.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Second that. MSF definitely. Good advice nekid.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM

sounds like a good bike to start on. i started on a 1981 maxim 650 i got for $300...I got it 3 years ago, learned, got an F3 and sold it..it was a great starter bike

Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Sounds like your being smart about your decision and your buying a bike for the right reasons! I know all to many people who bought their sport bikes for the attention they get and to go 150 on the highway. You def gotta learn how to ride and enjoy the whole aspect of the riding experience. Either way good luck in boot camp and on your new bike!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM

out of curiosity? whats wrong with cbrs as first bikes

Quick Reply: Buying bike tomorow