Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

buying a bike with a lien?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a bike with a lien?

i live in pa, i want to buy a bike in oh. it has a lien on it. the guy said we would go to his bank he would pay it off with the money i give him for the bike and he thinks the bank can put the title in my name. can they do this? or will he pay it off and the title stay in his name and have to be transferd at like a AAA? i dont want to give the guy money inless i know its going in my name. any idea on this or how i transfer it and get registry to pa also? thanks for the help

Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Default RE: buying a bike with a lien?

I would think it depends on who hhe has his loan through. If the bank that you would go to is the one who he has his loan through then I would say its legit. But if its through say Honda financial then im not really sure.

Just a guess though. Sorry

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM

i think i might have figured it out. since the bike techinaly owns the bike the title is in the banks name. so he can have the bank put the title in my name. it would never go to him. now if they transfer the title to me can i get some kind of tempary plate to ride it back to PA?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

The bank will release the title to him and all anyone has to do is sign it. You get your temp tags or any tags at the DMV/DOR whatever it is in your state.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 PM

so if i pay him he pays the bank and get the title in his name. so he could screw me by not signing it over?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned

The bank isn't putting anything in anyone's name, they're simply going to give you the title. They may require a signature since some states require you notify the DMV within 30 days of selling a vehicle.

In that case, just go with him to the bank and they'll have a manager sign as seller then you sign as buyer OR, like in Missouri, the bank holds the title in the name of the individual making payments. And actually, in Missouri the purchaser gets a valid copy of the title in the mail as soon as you register the vehicle.

In any case you'll do one of two things...

Go to the bank with him, or go to the bank with him. It's also a good move if you have to get anything notarized.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM

ok so let me get this straight. i go to the bank with him. the bank signs off on the lien. i sign as the buyer. so now the title is in my name? then i have to go to a dmv and get temp plates to ride home?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM

lol all u have to do is send ur money to the bank to release the title to with his signature then they send u the title,you go to dmv and transfer everythign over and all is said and done

Old 04-08-2008, 07:12 PM

I got a question.

My friends bother has a 03 GSXR 600. Lost the title for the bike. Wants to sell it for $1000. Its just been sitting for awhile now and just needs a washing and simple maintance. If I buy it will a Bill of Sale be enough to prove I own the bike? Not really looking to get it street legal.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM

there is so much paper work and crap to transfer to pa. like a vin trace. screw it. i am not dealing with that crap. i will look for a bike in pa. i have been looking for close to a month now. every bike is way way over prices at dealers, the few who have any, or are gone in hours. this is friggin pissing me off to no end. the bike today i was about to buy then i found out there is something messed up with it was the 4th bike i would have bought if something dumb did not happen. may 22 i turn 18 i get my settlment money and i am going to buy a 07 if i cant find anything.

Quick Reply: buying a bike with a lien?