Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

braking/cornering skills...

Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default braking/cornering skills...

I have been noticing a lot of accidents lately that have to do with lack of braking or cornering skills. Personally, I have been working on improving these skills myself and wanted to pass on some good reading material (from tonystrackdays.com) that has helped me a lot and will hopefully help others as well. These skills are for use on and off the track. Ride safe, have fun, and wear your gear!

BRAKING: Effective braking is one key to going fast on the track, and is extremely important in your quest to stay alive on the street. The only way to improve your braking skills is to continually practice. This is one reason why racing or riding on a track is so beneficial - you are constantly using your brakes to their fullest potential.

The biggest question you must answer is whether you are going to use both brakes, or just the front. While most beginner riders rely heavily on the rear brake, it is your front brake that provides most of your stopping power. The reason is that during heavy braking, very little weight remains over the rear wheel, and it is very easy to lock up. The front wheel meanwhile, has most of the weight, and can therefore be subjected to a hard squeeze on the lever. Notice I said SQUEEZE and not, GRAB.

When I am racing or riding on the track, I only use the front brake. I have tried using both, but the trouble I seem to get into is not worth the potential gain. I realize that most of the very top riders use both brakes, but I had trouble modulating both levers while doing everything else that is necessary to set up for a corner.

Anyway, it is a personal choice. Try it both ways and use what is best for you.

Proper braking technique when using only the front brake:

1- ROLL off the throttle (as opposed to SLAMMING it shut)
2- SETTLE the front end by applying moderate pressure to the lever
3- SQUEEZE the front brake lever firmly, decreasing pressure as you approach your turn entry speed

NOTES: Settling the front end is the process of transferring weight to the front wheel. Once there is a forward weight bias, you can squeeze the brake lever very firmly. As your speed decreases, the amount of force on your front wheel decreases, and you need to reduce lever pressure to avoid locking up the wheel.

The higher your speed, the harder you can squeeze the lever without risk of locking up the wheel. If you feel the wheel lock up, quickly reduce pressure momentarily, and then continue to squeeze firmly. You don't need to completely let go of the lever, simply reducing the pressure will allow the the wheel to regain its traction. Never jerk the lever back. Always squeeeeeze!!

Proper braking technique using both brakes:

1. Roll off the throttle;
2. Apply the brakes simultaneously to settle the bike;
3. Increase front lever pressure as you decrease rear pedal pressure;
4. As your near a stop, decrease front lever pressure and increase rear pedal pressure, if necessary.

REASONING: When you initially apply the brakes, there is almost a 50/50 weight bias. As most of your weight transfers to the front wheel, you must lessen your pressure on the rear pedal, or it may lock up. In order to continue stopping, however, you must increase front lever pressure. As you near a stop, your weight begins to transfer backwards, and you can once again apply more pressure to the rear. Also, since you are now going very slow, using just the back brake will free up the front wheel for all the minor steering adjustments that come with "parking lot" speeds.

When the expert riders at SPORT RIDER did a test, they got the following results:

REAR BRAKE ONLY: 289 FEET
FRONT BRAKE ONLY: 151 FEET
BOTH BRAKES: 146 FEET

As you can see, there is a big drop going from REAR ONLY to FRONT ONLY, but a much smaller drop going to BOTH. Once again, its up to you to decide.

Proper, hard braking is the key to fast lap times on the track. On the street, knowi

Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Default RE: braking/cornering skills...

Good read. Good stuff.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:26 AM

Nice post! =)

Mike

Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Retired Admin

Thanks for the info! I am sure alot of members will find it helpful![8D]

Old 08-02-2006, 03:10 PM

girls only want guys with good skills!!!

good post, very informative

Old 08-02-2006, 03:45 PM

excellent post, chica do you use a trail braking technique at all?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:16 PM

umm JUST what i was looking for! THANKS!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 AM

i'm glad you guys found this helpful. this helped me a lot when i started trying to improve on my braking and cornering skills.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 AM

ORIGINAL: AZ1000rr

excellent post, chica do you use a trail braking technique at all?

not if i don't have to.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post!
Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: braking/cornering skills...