Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bike Themed Christmas Decorations

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Themed Christmas Decorations

I made one of these last year for Chris' house, and had so many requests for the how-to's (and asking if I'd take orders for them this year!), that I figured I'd share it with ya'll this year....

------------------------------

I've never claimed to be the "craftiest" person on the planet, yet I did come up with a cute idea for a Christmas wreath this year..... So I figured I'd share the instructions with ya'll.... (it's really quite simple - should take about 1.5 hours to assemble and decorate)

Bike-themed Christmas Wreath - assembly instructions

You'll need:
1 – 20” pre-lit artificial Christmas Wreath (about $10-12 at Target)
4 – Hot Wheels or Wal-mart brand Die-Cast model motorcycles ($2-$3 each)
1 – Small red velvet bow (about $3)
Assorted mini ornaments; check the “Mini Tree” section – there’s a ton of cute little *****, candy canes, etc… (Cost will vary – I used two sets of small gold *****, and a package of mini candy canes).

Glue Gun
Green floral wire

Optional:
1- Mini plush Christmas stocking (about 4” will give you enough fur if you want to “fur out” one of the bikes)

Assembly:
Map out where/how you’d like your bikes and bow to be arranged; most of the bows have a wire or twist-tie on the back, and are easily attached to the wreath.

To attach the bikes, run a piece of floral wire (about 8” long) through the fairings – twist tightly around the framework of the wreath, and then continue to wrap ends around until bike is securely anchored.

Once bikes are in place, fill in with the mini ornaments (I glued them in place; since this will be on the front door, you need to make sure they’re not going to fall off each time the door slams shut!)

To fur-out a stunt bike: (this IS the most time-consuming part of the project, but the result is SOOOO cute!)

Cut stocking in half, and cut off the furry white top. If the bike you are covering has front turn indicators, lop them off with scissors (they’ll be nearly impossible to cover with fur, and you can glue them back on afterward if you like).

You can visually estimate how large a piece of fur you’ll need for the front fairing (I did one side at a time). Once you’ve cut it out, you can trim it down till it’s the right shape – once you’ve got one side cut, lay it upside down on the other piece of fur to cut out the fairing for the other side.

Working one side at a time, cover the entire surface you are furring with glue, and QUICKLY press the fur into place.

Smaller strips and scraps will be left to cover the tail section and cowl.

Be sure to cut out a small slit to allow for your kickstand!

Also, if you have carriage lights on your garage or front porch, you can easily glue the same little model bikes to those HUGE red velvet bows (also found in the Christmas decor area at Target or Wal-mart)

[IMG]local://upfiles/181/5C113C6255E14FCEB484751D579C97E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Bike Themed Christmas Decorations

Now thats cool ! Good job neebelung [&:]

Old 11-01-2005, 07:49 PM

She does rock. I got more great comments on that last year then any of our Christmas decorations. Including the Honda dirtbike in the front yard covered with Christmas lights and a flamingo wearing a santa hat

Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the idea...a keeper!

Old 11-02-2005, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: NeonspeedRT

She does rock. I got more great comments on that last year then any of our Christmas decorations. Including the Honda dirtbike in the front yard covered with Christmas lights and a flamingo wearing a santa hat
Oh and I totally forgot about your car-themed mini-Christmas tree!!! THAT turned out super cute... we gotta get some pictures of it this year.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Retired Administrator

with threads like this.... we really see how addicted to sportbikes we are. Nice work.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:13 PM

thats awesome!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 AM

Your so damn skillful!!!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Umm i was actually gonna hang my spare rear tire on the door, but yours involves alot less lifting , sweet ty for the idea.