Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bike got destroyed on the freeway...questions on liability

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006 | 07:29 PM
Default RE: Bike got destroyed on the freeway...questions on liability

jOEROCKETS,

MAKE SURE YOU GET A COPY OF THAT POLICE REPORT. IT'LL GET YOU THROUGH ALL OF YOUR ISSUES. MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT!!!

ADAM

Old 08-19-2006 | 08:51 PM

So what happened to the lexus to begin with? Did he hit something? Why did the driver run? Details man, details.

Old 08-19-2006 | 10:00 PM

When I came up on the Lexus, it was already damaged on the front left. The lights were all out, and a driver and passenger were still inside. Since I barely saw them in time, I thought for sure they would be toast so I got on the shoulder and got off the bike. When they saw me get off, the passenger bailed out, jumped over the median onto the northbound side and ran into the bushes on the other side of the street. The driver was shook and got out when I yelled for him and he stayed on the shoulder. He did not talk to me at all. It was like he couldn't understand what I was saying. That's when I called 911 and then the Murano and Neon came.

So when things settled down, I checked on the couple in the Neon. They had a baby so I double checked to make sure they were ok. The driver of the Lexus started walking towards me so I was like "Go check on the Murano". He walked to the Murano and that's the last I saw of him. When ambulance came with CHP, the driver and passenger of the Lexus were gone.

Seeing that there was no other car around the Lexus and that debris was spread out for quite some distance behind them and there "appeared" to be 1 set of tire tracks, my guess is that they were travelling at a high speed and hit something. Either something in the road or the center divide itself.

I also think the driver, or someone who looked an awful lot like him, was at the club I was at prior to the accident. He wasn't hard to spot...mohawk, black button up shirt, grey slacks and dress shoes but the mohawk really stuck out because I don't see too many dark skinned asians with hair like that.

Old 08-20-2006 | 12:56 AM

Most likely the Lexas driver was drinking or the Lexas was stolen. I'm betting on the stolen part since the passanger took off.

sorry to here about your bike but the Murano drivers insurance should buy you a new bike minus a few bucks. Since it still had dealer plates on it the people had to have insurance. They should have been able to drive it off the lot without insurance.

Glad you weren't on the bike.

Old 08-20-2006 | 01:22 AM

In CA, you'll have to file an SR 1 any time there is damage over $750. If you don't file the SR 1, the DMV could suspend your license. The Nissan hit you so that is where the fault lies. If they don't have insurance, you are screwed because the liability you carry, only covers other vehicles and property, not your stuff. Thankfully, you weren't hit and you can always get another bike. Pray that progressive doesn't value the bike lower than what it should be. I work for State Farm so if there are any other questions about it, feel free to drop me an e-mail. Good Luck!

Old 08-20-2006 | 06:34 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info and perspectives

Old 08-21-2006 | 07:36 PM

+10 on the stolen/dwi car. Worst case scenario, the murano is stolen, the neon is stolen and so is the lexus... or, the murano doesn't belong to the person and is not insured. Last worst case scenario, you get a gsxr as a new bike. Be happy to be alive!

Old 08-23-2006 | 08:28 AM

WOW i would hate to meet ddvs on a bad day !

got to cover the negative but look for the positive

i reckon you shouldn't be too far out of pocket (shame that it should cost you anything)

Old 08-24-2006 | 04:45 AM

so it's been almost 5 days now and the police report isn't ready yet. In the meantime, what do I do with my junked bike? it's being held at some yard right now. Am I being billed for storage? Who determines if my bike's a total loss? What do I do with the remains if it is?

Old 08-24-2006 | 05:07 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

more then likely you will be getting charged for the storage fees . the insurance company will determine if its a total loss but just by the sound of it id say thats gaurunteed. especially with how much new plastics cost a bike could easily be salvaged just ina simple drop compared to getting slammed into by a suv . the insurance company if i udnerstand this right will cut you a check for the value of your bike and they will take the rest of the parts or you have an option to take a smaller amount of money and keep the remains . i am by no means a expert in insurance but i speak from personal experiences in cars . the insurance company should be footing the bill too for the storage fees id call them and see how much its up too because those fees add up fast ! good luck hope you hear somethign back soon . *and anyone if im wrong on what i stated above pls correct me *

Quick Reply: Bike got destroyed on the freeway...questions on liability